Will the Sabres make the playoffs.

Will the Sabres make the playoffs.

• Total voters

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
No, and it's not going to be close.

They will not make the playoffs until they address their goaltending for real.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Devils, Sens and Sabres are the future of the East conference IMO, Detroit might as well but it depends what happens in the near future, I am not as convinced

I think Sabres playoff drought is about to end, this year or next

Looks like Ottawa Buffalo Detroit are all going to miss. Was off by a year or two probably on these young teams. Buffalo is by far the best of the three though so if they don't make it this year it'll be next year. #1 offense in the league

What makes you say this?

Both teams have the same exact record

Ottawa has been without their 1st line center all season, and now their other 1st line center too

They have been without either Chabot or Zub (or both) all season too.

And with the imminent sale of the team, they might end up with competent management and coaching staff, something that has not happened in 6+ years

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
No our goalies are below average and our D is mediocre and also made of very fragile glass this year.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Devils, Sens and Sabres are the future of the East conference IMO, Detroit might as well but it depends what happens in the near future, I am not as convinced

I think Sabres playoff drought is about to end, this year or next

What makes you say this?

Both teams have the same exact record

Ottawa has been without their 1st line center all season, and now their other 1st line center too

They have been without either Chabot or Zub (or both) all season too.

And with the imminent sale of the team, they might end up with competent management and coaching staff, something that has not happened in 6+ years
Who is the Sens 1C? Norris?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Who is the Sens 1C? Norris?

They have two caliber 1st line centers, choose your poison

2021-22

Stutzle 18:25 TOI/GP (15:02 at ES)
Norris 18:35 TOI/GP (14:47 at ES)

2022-23

Stutzle 19:48 TOI/GP (15:21 at ES)
Norris 18:21 TOI/GP (13:32 at ES) * only played 5 games though

Norris mostly played his ES shifts with Giroux and DeBrincat; Stutzle mostly played with Tkachuk, Batherson and Giroux

Healthy, Sens have 2 first lines

• Haha
Reactions: sufferer

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
They have two caliber 1st line centers, choose your poison

2021-22

Stutzle 18:25 TOI/GP (15:02 at ES)
Norris 18:35 TOI/GP (14:47 at ES)

2022-23

Stutzle 19:48 TOI/GP (15:21 at ES)
Norris 18:21 TOI/GP (13:32 at ES) * only played 5 games though

Norris mostly played his ES shifts with Giroux and DeBrincat; Stutzle mostly played with Tkachuk, Batherson and Giroux

Healthy, Sens have 2 first lines
It's not like the Sens were a SC contender before Stuztle went down just a little while ago, lots of teams have had injury problems, the Sabers for instance?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It's not like the Sens were a SC contender before Stuztle went down just a little while ago, lots of teams have had injury problems, the Sabers for instance?

Did I talk about anything else than the Sens Top-6?

The Sens are currently not a contender because they might have one of the worst coaching staff in the league, particularly for all defensive aspects of the game. Only reason they give up less goals than during the rebuild is because of the quality of the top-6

They also might have one of the worst GM out there, this might not be a popular opinion but it would seriously take a while to explain (which I have explained by parts in my posting history). As a result, the Sens might have the worst bottom-6 in the league, a non-threatening PK and a weak RD side (particularly if Zub and JBD are hurt). They had Nick Paul, Connor Brown and Alex Formenton just last year (can't blame the GM for Formenton though).

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
No, and I don't think they're winning the 'battle of the analytics' against their nearest competitors either. Florida's ES play is the best of the w/c teams. WAS, FLA, OTT, NYR all have better xGF differentials 5v5 than Buffalo.

Without Barkov I don't see FLA making it though. That still leaves WAS/NYR/OTT as more likely to improve their standings position than BUF is. The Sabres have a chance, don't get me wrong.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
1. They have to jump alot of teams.

2. I can't remember the statistics, but teams already in a playoff position by American Thanksgiving are very likely to hold their spot. I think its 70% or higher.

For just those 2 reasons, my answer is no.
So with the 70% number that means 5 teams of 16 can still get in.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
No, look at the injury list. I love this years team but I'm also annoyed that Adams didn't do some simple moves that would have given us a small playoff chance.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Next year hopefully.

Right now we are icing 4 AHL Dmen.

Don't have the D depth or a competent starting Goalie.

This is still a real fun team to watch tho.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I voted yes, but if not then it’s coming next year and for years after that.

I see no reason why Thompson, Skinner, and Tuch should suddenly start to decline. Their “second line” of Peterka-Cozens-Quinn will take over from those guys as the top unit sooner rather than later. They’ll be stocking their bottom six with elite prospects on ELCs soon. Savoie, Ostlund, Rosen…the list goes on.

The defence will become special. Dahlin is already scratching that Norris contender status and Samuelson is the perfect boring partner. Power is miles away from his ceiling. Those two guys will soon each be playing 25+ minutes a night.

Goaltending could be special with Levi, too.

Dahlin and Power are already playing around 25 a night.

But no, the Sabres won’t make the playoffs this year. But if they draft in the double digits (or should have, because I’ll absolutely take moving up in the draft), I’ll be happy

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Did I talk about anything else than the Sens Top-6?

The Sens are currently not a contender because they might have one of the worst coaching staff in the league, particularly for all defensive aspects of the game. Only reason they give up less goals than during the rebuild is because of the quality of the top-6

They also might have one of the worst GM out there, this might not be a popular opinion but it would seriously take a while to explain (which I have explained by parts in my posting history). As a result, the Sens might have the worst bottom-6 in the league, a non-threatening PK and a weak RD side (particularly if Zub and JBD are hurt). They had Nick Paul, Connor Brown and Alex Formenton just last year (can't blame the GM for Formenton though).

Nick Paul and Connor Brown were redundant though as they brought in Giroux, Debrincat and had to make room for a healthy Pinto as well.

As a Canucks fan it's hard to see any worse GMs in the league honestly.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Nick Paul and Connor Brown were redundant though as they brought in Giroux, Debrincat and had to make room for a healthy Pinto as well.

Spoken like someone that doesnt follow the team. Paul and Brown were absolutely not redundant and they werent replaced by those players. Knowing they were losing Formenton and giving away Brown was horrible. Refusing to give Paul 3 million a year only to trade him for a way worse player in Joseph then paying him 2.95 was also insanely frustrating.

All teams have injuries sure, but who has had worse injuries than the sens outside of Colorado? Their top 2 centers, one of their top 2 d men all season long when they are so thin back there.

Personally I think that Buffalo is better than Ottawa and will continue to be so. They do need a goalie though.

When if/never is ottawa every healthy it seems but they had a couple games that they were and they did look very good. They just dont have the depth/structure to withstand the injuries like other teams.

Reactions: Xspyrit

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Spoken like someone that doesnt follow the team. Paul and Brown were absolutely not redundant and they werent replaced by those players. Knowing they were losing Formenton and giving away Brown was horrible. Refusing to give Paul 3 million a year only to trade him for a way worse player in Joseph then paying him 2.95 was also insanely frustrating.

All teams have injuries sure, but who has had worse injuries than the sens outside of Colorado? Their top 2 centers, one of their top 2 d men all season long when they are so thin back there.

Personally I think that Buffalo is better than Ottawa and will continue to be so. They do need a goalie though.

When if/never is ottawa every healthy it seems but they had a couple games that they were and they did look very good. They just dont have the depth/structure to withstand the injuries like other teams.

You are right I don't follow the Sens as closely as some but it was an open secret that giroux would sign with the sens in the offseason as a UFA.

I don't subscribe but according to this site 2 other teams lead the NHL in man games lost (which can be a tricky stat to quantify for sure).

You are right that the Sens and Avs have both been hit hard as well.

NHL Injury Data Summary: The Washington Capitals (227 man-games lost) and Toronto Maple Leafs (224) have the most man-games lost in the NHL. On the other end of the scale the New York Rangers (23) and New York Islanders (24)...

The bottom line is that some viewed the Sens (much like the Canucks) as this breakout team due to their forward depth in the offseason and it was folly in both cases and quite predictable to boot.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Do you mean Benning or Allvin? The latter hasn't been there long enough to have enough of an analysis, minor trades and a few signings. I don't see these signings as that bad, a bit of risk for Miller but I can see him remaining a good player for years

For the Sens, Nick Paul is a guy you absolutely KEEP. He's a premium defensive forward, versatile, strong as an ox, great on face-offs and never takes anything for granted Plus it seems like he had another gear offensively. IIRC he only wanted something like 3.25 AAV for 5 years... Instead Dorion traded him for Joseph who he gave 2.95 AAV for 4 years. I like Joseph and he is a great skater but he has nowhere near Paul's hockey IQ

Seeing Paul traded pissed off Connor Brown, his friend and linemate with who he had an incredible chemistry with. They were a joy to watch on the PK. He asked for a trade but if the Sens kept Paul in the first place, they could have enjoyed Brown at 3.6 AAV only this season. It might have become hard to figure out next year with DeBrincat and Pinto RFA and Zub UFA but look at the bottom-6 now when healthy :

Motte - Pinto - Joseph
Kelly - Kastelic - Watson

Motte is a great 4th liner but should not be played above. Joseph is an "ok" 3rd liner. Pinto is a rookie who just missed a full season. Kastelic is also a rookie, not the greatest skater but has a lot of qualities. However he plays with Watson (barely NHL level anymore) and Kelly (who should be a call up option, not a guy on a 1-way). Gambrell is "fine defensively" but that's about it. Brassard has been a nice depth add though but he is far from his prime and has the worst defensive stats among Sens forwards

Pinto has been forced to play in the top-6 (Brassard too) with Norris (and now Stutzle) injury. I would be shocked if this isn't the worst bottom-6 in the NHL

The Top-6 is great but a Bot-6 is also very important, it needs to be excellent defensively while being able to chip in offensively. Paul and Brown (and well Formenton) was a massive advantage

The bottom line is that some viewed the Sens (much like the Canucks) as this breakout team due to their forward depth in the offseason and it was folly in both cases and quite predictable to boot.

I had my reserves as this is still coached by DJ Smith & co and managed by Pierre Dorion... probably the worst duo in the NHL. Dorion always find ways to screw up, I could explain if you want.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
No, and it's not going to be close.

They will not make the playoffs until they address their goaltending for real.
I voted no earlier as the back to back losses agaisnt the Penguins might turn out to be the difference but since then they ahve won 4 straight and looked extremely formidible.

That being said they are still 4 points behind the NYI for that last wildcard spot.

I think Dahlin and company just might will their way into a playoff spot and even if they miss out they are definitely a team on the rise with a rocket.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
This team has STL sorta mojo right now, let’s see if they can keep it up.

Either way, Sabres hockey is fun again. I’ve said they’re a wagon starting next year, but if they even challenge for a spot- I’m happy. So many weapons, we haven’t even gotten shit from the kids lately and Power is out.

Dahlin is holding down the fort 30 minutes a night, dude is unreal.

Thompson has, what, 25 goals in the last 25 games now? Teams are honed in on him and he still scored one and rocked a post against the Knights.

UPL looking solid- if that’s real, look out.

First line is buzzing. Love this team, if anyone can make that unreal climb it’s them.

Reactions: wetcoast

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I voted no earlier as the back to back losses agaisnt the Penguins might turn out to be the difference but since then they ahve won 4 straight and looked extremely formidible.

That being said they are still 4 points behind the NYI for that last wildcard spot.

I think Dahlin and company just might will their way into a playoff spot and even if they miss out they are definitely a team on the rise with a rocket.

I know they have won a couple games recently but they have been so bad for so long that this little mini run isn't going to change opinions

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
All you can ask for is progression.

They are no longer a bad team.. they are a flawed team.

Few tweaks on defense and finding a competent goalie and we got something.

Reactions: 95snipes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad