Will the Sabres make the playoffs.

Will the Sabres make the playoffs.

• Total voters

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
No.

As a team, they still defend very poorly and their goaltending does not inspire confidence.

That said, it's a very encouraging season. The young players are all developing nicely. They're playing in a fun environment with an up-tempo style. They're awesome to watch. It's finally progress.

If they can add a goalie in the offseason and some depth on the blueline, I think they'll take a massive jump next season.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I voted yes, but if not then it’s coming next year and for years after that.

I see no reason why Thompson, Skinner, and Tuch should suddenly start to decline. Their “second line” of Peterka-Cozens-Quinn will take over from those guys as the top unit sooner rather than later. They’ll be stocking their bottom six with elite prospects on ELCs soon. Savoie, Ostlund, Rosen…the list goes on.

The defence will become special. Dahlin is already scratching that Norris contender status and Samuelson is the perfect boring partner. Power is miles away from his ceiling. Those two guys will soon each be playing 25+ minutes a night.

Goaltending could be special with Levi, too.

Reactions: wetcoast and bert

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
1. They have to jump alot of teams.

2. I can't remember the statistics, but teams already in a playoff position by American Thanksgiving are very likely to hold their spot. I think its 70% or higher.

For just those 2 reasons, my answer is no.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

2. I can't remember the statistics, but teams already in a playoff position by American Thanksgiving are very likely to hold their spot. I think its 70% or higher.

They're only 5 points out with 52 games to go. They have better advanced metrics and goal differential than the teams they are chasing.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
They are due a 5 game losing streak just about any time now. Jokes aside I do think they are a decent team. Don't think this is the year though.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I voted no. Five points out at this point is actually a decent gap in this era of parity and 3 point games. Especially when they need to jump over a few teams.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Certainly possible at this point depending on injuries.

Highest scoring team, had an 8 game losing streak which will muddy things still with this few games played. Were missing about half the D for part of it.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
It's been "take a step but not quite" year for me since the off-season. Haven't seen any reason to change that.

If we assume the top 3's remain the same, they still have to beat 4 of the Rangers, Islanders, Capitals, Panthers and Red Wings. All this without a #1 goaltender. Anderson has posted good numbers but he's old and probably can't carry a heavy workload while remaining consistent, and the younger guys aren't reliable.

They're winning some games again and at some point in the year can hit their peak pts % and even for a while hold a playoff spot, but the problem with having to climb the standings is it takes a lot of hard work and there's usually a swing back the other way again.

They're starting to get really close though.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
The top 3 in the atlantic is settled, so they need to go for a wildcard

There's a chance they can overtake someone like NYI for the final slot, but I don't see it. Next year is the year they make it in imo

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I saw the thread title and wondered if the question would be ”ever?”

and that if it was I didn’t know for sure how I would vote.

• Haha
Reactions: TheDawnOfANewTage

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
No.

As a team, they still defend very poorly and their goaltending does not inspire confidence.

That said, it's a very encouraging season. The young players are all developing nicely. They're playing in a fun environment with an up-tempo style. They're awesome to watch. It's finally progress.

If they can add a goalie in the offseason and some depth on the blueline, I think they'll take a massive jump next season.

Came here to say this, I want them to make it but there is a lot of ground to make up and I wonder if Levi will be the savour?

Nope and they miss by at least 15 points.
Your forgot the decimal it's 1.5 points.

Reactions: Team Cozens

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Looks like Ottawa Buffalo Detroit are all going to miss. Was off by a year or two probably on these young teams. Buffalo is by far the best of the three though so if they don't make it this year it'll be next year. #1 offense in the league

Sabres

Jan 15, 2017
Buffalo, NY
A combination of us having a few too many holes on the roster and too many good teams being in our way will keep us out. Next year, assuming we fix at least some of the issues, we should make it.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
They're next year's Devils in terms of a young team taking a massive step, I was pretty impressed when we played them but they got sunk by goaltending

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
With Florida’s struggles I can certainly see them finish 4th in the Atlantic, but I think if that happens I still see 5 teams likely ahead in the Metro.

Reactions: wetcoast

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Ya, Puck Soup had somethin further on that second stat- basically no team in their points position has ever made the playoffs before. Still there’s a first time for everything.

And I’m hopeful. The boys are buzzing and the young guys should only get better. If they don’t make it I won’t be too disappointed, I already have ‘em as a lock for next year, but I think they see the light at the end of the tunnel and will battle like hell to get there.

UPL has looked better in net as of late, so that’s another positive trend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad