GDT: Will the real Calgary Flames please stand up: Game 4 - Flames @ Avalanche, 8PM, CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
If Peters doesn't make significant changes to the forward lines for next game, such as taking out Neal or promoting Bennett, I will have to consider changing my username because he has been far from master-like this series.

He's shown the guts to switch things up if it's clearly not working. Why is he so hesitant now?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's one thing to lose. But we're being categorically outclassed in every department except for goaltending. I think Tampa's problem was arrogance and the face that the fact they never dealt with a cold stretch this season.

5-on-5, it's been ugly for us. Our fourth line has more even strength goals than our top line and that just can't be the case when you're 4 games into a series. I also think Peters is a bit shell-shocked right now. It's his first taste of the playoffs and he hasn't been able to prepare this team as best as he could.

To me, it does speak volumes that this core has gotten progressively worse in the playoffs over our last 3 times. The guys seem to be buckling under the pressure

We'll see. There's no doubt that the team can play effectively against the Avs, but they just haven't been able to snap out of poor stretches. They have another game to turn things around. Whether or not they do it, you'd have to expect this to be a learning and growing moment for the team, and much of this core still has room for improvement. A lot of young guys on the roster can provide the push from below that you need to keep progressing, like Andersson, Valimaki and Mangiapane.

I know this is a frustrating night (I'm frustrated too, even if I'm being obnoxiously positive), but realistically, if the Flames tune up a bit and get the win in Game 5, the story shifts from "the Flames can't win three in a row" to "why can't the Flames win two more?"

If this game had been like Game 3, things would be pretty bleak right now. But given the Flames found the way to make the Avs turn pucks over and get disorganized in this game, there's certainly hope that they can do that more often the next game. And obviously, yeah, if they can't, they're likely done.

Reactions: Mobiandi

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
It's absolutely ridiculous that Bennett is averaging 12 minutes this series, he should be playing more than 15, I don't see what Frolik has done to justify getting time on the 2nd line opposed to Bennett.
Peters' coaching this series has been a ****ing joke. He was a ****ing genius during the regular season.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If Peters doesn't make significant changes to the forward lines for next game, such as taking out Neal or promoting Bennett, I will have to consider changing my username because he has been far from master-like this series.

He's shown the guts to switch things up if it's clearly not working. Why is he so hesitant now?
I have to say, I was shocked to see the Janko line back out there after the Compher goal. Just shocked.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Brodie was one of our best players tonight.

I get accused of being an oilers troll by you, yet you can make crap up like with a straight face? Literally no one is gonna agree with you on this take, f***ing no one. If anything, Valimaki and Andersson were our only good dman, and the rest ranged from bad to pure trash.

Seriously, Lmfao. Remember when jankowski was at minimum gonna be coots lite? Been a total shitshow with him in the lineup. Keep it up :laugh:

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
People can bitch about Monahan et al. all they want, I wouldn't be upset to see him traded, but if Gaudreau has another no show for game 5 I honestly I hope I never see him in a Flames jersey ever again. Supposed Superstar player and is one of the WOAT play off performers I have ever seen. A complete no show in every series he has ever played in in his career. Scared to take a hit, scared to make a pass, constant turn overs, doesn't skate, barely skates back and is getting worse in the playoffs as his career goes on.

If Flames are out in 5 I see huge changes in the off season in regards to our forwards, ie. Gaudreau and Monahan both getting traded.

Also, f*** James Neal and Mark Jankowski. 100% completely and utterly f***ing useless in every aspect of hockey. Moreso James Neal. Doesn't even deserve a buyout, his contract should be void for the next 4 years because his effort level is a f***ing travesty.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
People can ***** about Monahan et al. all they want, I wouldn't be upset to see him traded, but if Gaudreau has another no show for game 5 I honestly I hope I never see him in a Flames jersey ever again. Supposed Superstar player and is one of the WOAT play off performers I have ever seen. A complete no show in every series he has ever played in in his career. Scared to take a hit, scared to make a pass, constant turn overs, doesn't skate, barely skates back and is getting worse in the playoffs as his career goes on.

If Flames are out in 5 I see huge changes in the off season in regards to our forwards, ie. Gaudreau and Monahan both getting traded.

Also, **** James Neal and Mark Jankowski. 100% completely and utterly ****ing useless in every aspect of hockey. Moreso James Neal. Doesn't even deserve a buyout, his contract should be void for the next 4 years because his effort level is a ****ing travesty.

Yeah, ok. This post makes me happy regular fans aren’t gms. Guess Tampa should trade stammer and Hedman cause they sucked

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
So I need to go find my phone because it went flying in a rage after the game ended, hopefully it isn’t broken, wish me luck

Update: the case came off a little bit but the phone is intact! I really need to start keeping it away from me when i watch flames games, it’s been thrown into the couch more times than i can count

Last edited:
Reactions: viper0220 and Migos

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

I enjoyed the Valimaki-Andersson pair too.

Hanifin-Hamonic were a tirefire.

Forwards were a bigger problem. the Bennett-Jankowski-Neal doesn't work. There is just zero chemistry as all three stay on the walls leaving the slot vacant.

Our lines need to be revamped hard

Giordano-Brodie
Valimaki-Andersson
Kylington-Hamonic

Gaudreau-Bennett-Tkachuk
Mangiapane-Backlund-Lindholm
Czarnik-Jankowski-Monahan
Frolik-Ryan-Dube

Last edited:

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
The worst part is? A part of me thinks we can come back and win this series. Like I'm 100% is convinced it's doable. There are so many variables at play that just haven't gone our way that this is a textbook 3-1 series comeback. Problem is, Colorado just needs the Mackinnon line to hold on for 1/3 games and it's over. I know which one is more likely.

It's the hope that kills you.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
People can ***** about Monahan et al. all they want, I wouldn't be upset to see him traded, but if Gaudreau has another no show for game 5 I honestly I hope I never see him in a Flames jersey ever again. Supposed Superstar player and is one of the WOAT play off performers I have ever seen. A complete no show in every series he has ever played in in his career. Scared to take a hit, scared to make a pass, constant turn overs, doesn't skate, barely skates back and is getting worse in the playoffs as his career goes on.

Also, **** James Neal and Mark Jankowski. 100% completely and utterly ****ing useless in every aspect of hockey. Moreso James Neal. Doesn't even deserve a buyout, his contract should be void for the next 4 years because his effort level is a ****ing travesty.

Johnny can't do it all himself, when ever he has the puck, there are like 2 f***ers on him and he is not big. f*** I wish we had some one like OV.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Part of it is mental (In the regular season games aren't as critical if you change things up), and part of it probably has to do with management.

Reactions: Master Bill

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I have to say, I was shocked to see the Janko line back out there after the Compher goal. Just shocked.
Same. They still have Gelinas up there giving the coaches feedback on who's on or out of form, do they not? If Gelinas or Ward never voiced to Peters what was so obvious about that line, they are not doing their job at all.

I won't be shocked if I see Neal in the lineup again or nothing else is done to the forward group, but I won't have any trust left in this coaching staff for the remainder of this season.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
It's one thing to lose. But we're being categorically outclassed in every department except for goaltending. I think Tampa's problem was arrogance and the face that the fact they never dealt with a cold stretch this season.

5-on-5, it's been ugly for us. Our fourth line has more even strength goals than our top line and that just can't be the case when you're 4 games into a series. I also think Peters is a bit shell-shocked right now. It's his first taste of the playoffs and he hasn't been able to prepare this team as best as he could.

To me, it does speak volumes that this core has gotten progressively worse in the playoffs over our last 3 times. The guys seem to be buckling under the pressure

Top line had 0 even strenght goals against the Ducks.

People who are suprised that 13 and 23 are being dominated again 5on5 werent paying attention and were fooled by the river hockey they call regular season.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Also if Chucky thinks he can get anywhere near Matthews money, I'd sit him down, and have him watch his pathetic play off performance.

Dude is costing himself a lot of dough. Another complete no show.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Brodie was one of our best players tonight.
It's not true but even if it is, I do not care. I will never forget his play in game 3. To me that was almost the turning point of the series. He was completely unprepared to compete.

There is no softer, and more mentally weak player in the NHL IMO

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

Gaudreau was great against Vancouver and Anaheim in 2015. Monahan and Hudler completely disappeared vs the Ducks.

But anyway, this year our first line has been MIA since the All-Star Break plain and simple. And Monahan has been missing year after year for a quarter to a third of the season. I still think Monahan shares much more of the blame.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
I work midnights in Ontario.
I've only seen the 1st period last two games, but listen to it at work.
Just saw the highlights. How Backlund doesn't score in OT is mind boggling.
Smith has faced 173 shots in the series.
We've got no intensity, no push back.
Even if we win a close game 5 we won't win 3 in a row with the way we're performing.
Have to dominate tomorrow's game right from buzzer to buzzer.
Backs to the wall, etc. Whatever, just get it done, or get to the off-season.

The Rainman

May 7, 2007
Vancouver
The one thing I'm extremely frustrated with is James Neal. He was brought in to make the team better, but he doesn't really look like an NHL player at the moment. He could get away with it in the reduced intensity of the regular season, but it's sticking out like a sore thumb right now. If you can't skate with NHL players, and you can't find open ice, and you don't have an elite shot (which sadly appears to be the case), then what exactly can you do to make up for being behind the play defensively?

I have to say, I hated the Brouwer signing from the start, but I didn't see this one coming with Neal. I always thought he was a tough guy to play against.
There is a reason why this Neal's 5th team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad