Will the Devils adopt a new System now?

Devilshark

Registered Abuser
Jan 29, 2009
Central New Jersey
Parise, Clarkson, Kovalchuk. The first of those 2 being absolutely key to the Devils running a forechecking, puck possession based system so well in recent years. Considering what the current roster is, I dont really think we have the grinders or the speed anymore to play that way.

How should this team this move forward given the current makeup of our roster? With guys like Henrique, Tedenby, Ryder, Elias and sooner or later a promising Reid Boucher, is it time for the Devils to try a more open, offensive focused game?

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Parise, Clarkson, Kovalchuk. The first of those 2 being absolutely key to the Devils running a forechecking, puck possession based system so well in recent years. Considering what the current roster is, I dont really think we have the grinders or the speed anymore to play that way.

How should this team this move forward given the current makeup of our roster? With guys like Henrique, Tedenby, Ryder, Elias and sooner or later a promising Reid Boucher, is it time for the Devils to try a more open, offensive focused game?

No.

We will play New Jersey Devils hockey. We're the Chicago Bears of the NHL. Our style defies all.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey

That kind of game requires legs that our skaters don't have.
Puck possession suits them perfectly.

DeBoer's going to keep rolling with what he's got.

Devilshark

Registered Abuser
Jan 29, 2009
Central New Jersey

I dont see this team having much success playing behind the net and getting that cycle going. Teams like the Bruins are going to eat us alive.

We dont have anyone capable of doing the dirty work Zach and David did. I don't see us generating many quality chances if we continue to play this way.

I like Devils Hockey but the personnel isnt there.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
some rly boring hockey lay ahead without kovalchuk playing 30 mins a game

Who cares ... Kovy is one player. We are a team. If he wants to leave, **** him. We have never been about the name on the back, its all about the Logo.

If you dont want to support the team because one player left, then bye

MrLouniverse

frontline internet hero
Sep 19, 2012
(Las) Vegas
Who cares ... Kovy is one player. We are a team. If he wants to leave, **** him. We have never been about the name on the back, its all about the Logo.

If you dont want to support the team because one player left, then bye

+1

I bleed:
red_black_and_green_flag_letterhead-r70c3f97b6b9f4a98ac4a569a5a71f92b_vg63g_8byvr_512.jpg

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I dont see this team having much success playing behind the net and getting that cycle going. Teams like the Bruins are going to eat us alive.

We dont have anyone capable of doing the dirty work Zach and David did. I don't see us generating many quality chances if we continue to play this way.

I like Devils Hockey but the personnel isnt there.

Kovy wasn't a key on the forecheck.
So if Pete wasn't looking to upend his system before Kovy left, he sure isn't going to do it now either.

Possession was not an issue with shallower forward depth and an injured Kovy last season.
With an upgraded roster (outside of that glaring hole, of course) - it shouldn't be any more of an issue than it would have been.

And we still have plenty of guys who excel at getting the puck and keeping it in the zone. Zajac. Zubrus. Bernier. Henrique. Carter. That's at least 2 lines, all things considered, that can do what Pete needs them to do.

The system is fine.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Kovy scored more goals short handed last year than the power play and more on special teams than even strength.

Special teams don't define your system.

Stay the course. And just for the record, our best teams were 4 lines rolling teams with everyone playing a role. We can survive without Kovy.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
No. We will not.

Exactly this. Pete's forecheck style worked with Zach and Kovy. It still worked with out Zach, and still was effective without both when Kovy got hurt.

Kovy was not our best, or even an important part of our forechecking style. Zach was way more then he was and we still were able to forecheck well afterward.

The system was not the reason we missed the playoffs last year, and we still can roll 4 lines and play if effectively. Our goaltending is better, and with 7 D instead of 8 our D should be better.

We will still limit shots and control possession, and we added players that can help finish. Lou goes and gets one more forward to replace some of the production lost we are still fine. Not as good as yesterday, but still better then April.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

I trust DeBoer to get the most out of the team, but I don't know if we have the forward corps to run an offensive system.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I trust DeBoer to get the most out of the team, but I don't know if we have the forward corps to run an offensive system.

We never ran a offensive system, we ran a hard forechecking system. The Caps ran a offensive system before Oates and Hunter came along, we didn't.

We still have the horses to run a in your face forechecking system and that's one of the reasons why I'd target Grabovsky. He has very solid speed, plays "all out" when he's on the ice, can produce offensively and he's very underated defensively.

He'd be a real solid addition to our 2nd line and we can probably get him for the same type of deal Ryder got.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad