Will the Carolina Hurricanes make the playoffs?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
We will. I believe.

TEA line and Skinner need to get hot and stay hot for the next two months for it to happen. Khudobin has to keep up his sub 3 GAA play. Ward has to not suck.

That's a lot to ask, and it probably is not going to all click. But forget caution- I'm full blown optimistic here!

We need secondary scoring, but we don't have the pieces to make it happen for someone who is extremely good.

Speculating, but Dany Heatley would make sense for us. We have 6 million in cap space at the deadline, and we don't have to pay him his full salary. He's someone who is decent, but won't command a hefty price at the deadline.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I sure hope so. I seriously believe if this team can just make the playoffs again, they might finally be the team we want them to be aka the team that makes the playoffs year in and year out.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
We will. I believe.

TEA line and Skinner need to get hot and stay hot for the next two months for it to happen. Khudobin has to keep up his sub 3 GAA play. Ward has to not suck.

That's a lot to ask, and it probably is not going to all click. But forget caution- I'm full blown optimistic here!

We need secondary scoring, but we don't have the pieces to make it happen for someone who is extremely good.

Speculating, but Dany Heatley would make sense for us. We have 6 million in cap space at the deadline, and we don't have to pay him his full salary. He's someone who is decent, but won't command a hefty price at the deadline.

if the goal is to make the play offs come hell or high water, they have cap space and pieces to make some sort of move/s to help with that. it will be interesting to see what Rutherford does soon, one way or the other, or if he'll do anything at all.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Pete with a message of the day that may not be coincidental :laugh:

Is this just Pete being Pete? I've always heard "Believe and act as if it were IMPOSSIBLE to fail". Haven't the Canes already been acting like it's possible to fail for the past 5 seasons?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Is this just Pete being Pete? I've always heard "Believe and act as if it were IMPOSSIBLE to fail". Haven't the Canes already been acting like it's possible to fail for the past 5 seasons?

Yeah, if that's the kind of motivational speeches the Canes have been getting during training, it does explain a lot of the issues they seem to have. :laugh:

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Confirmed: Pete Friesen reads HF.

And my gut tells me we'll put ourselves behind the 8 ball and have the door slammed in our faces with a couple of games left, just like every year.

storm636

Jul 26, 2009
Pittsburgh
i say yes. i am hoping that Alex comes back with a lot to prove and the Carolina fans need to see Jordan's playoff beast mode and one of the goalies goes on another hot streak got to believe

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Honestly, no. I hope they do but I don't see it happening especially if someone gets hurt or goes cold since we have no depth. Too many players have underperformed. If Ruutu and Tlusty start putting up points and Dobby stays hot it's certainly possible but I wouldn't bet on it.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Honestly, no. I hope they do but I don't see it happening especially if someone gets hurt or goes cold since we have no depth. Too many players have underperformed. If Ruutu and Tlusty start putting up points and Dobby stays hot it's certainly possible but I wouldn't bet on it.

It's not just players like Tlusty and Ruutu that have underperformed Our two highest paid forwards have also. Semin has 29 points in 45 games (yeah, I get that advanced stats, etc ..., but I'm talking about actual production, which is what counts toward the final score). E. Staal has come on in Dec. and Jan, but he underperformed for the first two months of the season also.

If healthy, my opinion is that this team will go as E. Staal and the goaltending go. If Eric plays at his best and they get consistent goaltending, they have a good shot at it.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I think they have the same general shot as the rest of the teams in that pack of teams. The problem is that there are so many of them. 8'ish teams fighting for 4 spots, so I'd say it's about 50/50.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
If everyone on the team had a rabbits foot up their butt I'd give us a 40% chance.

I think we finish 10th but hope I'm wrong.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
It's not just players like Tlusty and Ruutu that have underperformed Our two highest paid forwards have also. Semin has 29 points in 45 games (yeah, I get that advanced stats, etc ..., but I'm talking about actual production, which is what counts toward the final score). E. Staal has come on in Dec. and Jan, but he underperformed for the first two months of the season also.

Oh I know they have and they've seemed to come on a bit more as of late which is why I didn't make any comment about them. If other players that should be counted on for some points like Ruu and Jiri start producing then that will help the cause since they've been disappointing this whole year.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Oh I know they have and they've seemed to come on a bit more as of late which is why I didn't make any comment about them. If other players that should be counted on for some points like Ruu and Jiri start producing then that will help the cause since they've been disappointing this whole year.

Yeah, that's fair. Hopefully how Ruutu played in the Olympics will give him confidence and carry over to the rest of the season. That would be a big boost.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00