Speculation: Will Tampa or Dallas buy out anybody?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You'd think the 2 teams playing for the cup wouldn't need to do it, but the fact they are playing for the cup is what intrigues me because anybody they buy out would be pretty damn good seeing as they are playing for a championship.

who hits the market for them?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Apparently Cup teams can't have a single bad contract...

To answer the question, it's unlikely on Tampa's end. They can't afford to hold onto any cap space for anybody they get rid of. Gotta dump em.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Dallas - you can make case for Cogliano but they need every dollar in 21-22 for Heiskanen contract.

TBL- T Johnson is only name that makes sense if you cant make moves but immediately you still take a cap hit of 2.7m this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Morrison

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Apparently Cup teams can't have a single bad contract...

To answer the question, it's unlikely on Tampa's end. They can't afford to hold onto any cap space for anybody they get rid of. Gotta dump em.

There is no "dump". If another team won't trade with them, they'll have to buy out someone. Possibly more than one.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Tampa won't buy anyone out but they certainly could waive a few of their NTCs to get rid off them...
Odds are that Tyler Johnson will either be forced to waive his NTC to go somewhere semi decent via tade or if he refuses he might end up with Detroit or Ottawa after he gets picked up on waivers...

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Dallas isn’t cash strapped. UFA player salaries coming off in 2021 would cover Heisk raise.

Tampa is in a different situation.

They have a group of 4 F theyhave to move 2 of thrm to open up space to sign their young players.

There is an outside shot they could trade Stamkos.

With Tampa teams should know their cap troubles and low ball the players value.

Personally I’m concerned with any player who has 4+ years taking thrm to their mid30s where they could be fine next year but be an anchor the last 2 yrs.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
My guess is that Killorn plus someone else will need to be subtracted. The returns will be low, quite possibly mid to late picks as TBL can't afford salary back. Every GM and their dog knows the situation TBL are in.

Last edited:

Pitter Patter

May 20, 2020
Tampa won't buy anyone out but they certainly could waive a few of their NTCs to get rid off them...
Odds are that Tyler Johnson will either be forced to waive his NTC to go somewhere semi decent via tade or if he refuses he might end up with Detroit or Ottawa after he gets picked up on waivers...
What is the mechanism by which Tampa plans to force players to waive their NTCs?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

You can't force somebody to waive their NTC

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
What is the mechanism by which Tampa plans to force players to waive their NTCs?

@LEAFANFORLIFE23

They will simply threaten to put them on waivers. NTCs don't block you from putting people on literal waivers.
So if the choice is to end up in a semi decent situation like say the Devils or get waived and be forced to play for a bottom feeder like Detroit or Ottawa, odds are they will atleast think long and hard about it......

I might have expressed myself badly.
Does anyone believe the likes of Tyler Johnson, Gourde, etc won't get claimed on waivers?
Because I don't really believe that. Which basically eliminates the cap crunch in itself and the NTC issues..
The trade return will be pretty bad regardless. So if nobody of the teams they would even entertain waiving their NTC for bites, you simply put them on waivers and bank on Yzerman or Dorion or the Sabres picking them up for free..

Last edited:
Reactions: qqaz and Morrison

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
@LEAFANFORLIFE23

They will simply threaten to put them on waivers. NTCs don't block you from putting people on literal waivers.
So if the choice is to end up in a semi decent situation like say the Devils or get waived and be forced to play for a bottom feeder like Detroit or Ottawa, odds are they will atleast think long and hard about it......

Does anyone believe the likes of Tyler Johnson, Gourde, etc won't get claimed on waivers?
Because I don't really believe that. Which basically eliminates the cap crunch in itself and the NTC issues..
The trade return will be pretty bad regardless. So if nobody of the teams they would even entertain waiving their NTC for bites, you simply put them on waivers and bank on Yzerman or Dorion or the Sabres picking them up for free..

I don’t think many teams will have the space to claim the players on waivers other than Ottawa and Detroit who likely has space.27 of the 31 teams are problem less than $5Zm in space before waiver wire stuff happens.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's the kind of move that would impact future player's views on the organization. TJ has a contract which drops to a MNTC in 21-22, so this notion of strong arming him won't sit will with other players around the NHL or on their roster. Either they wait it out or they ask him in good faith to waive. If he doesn't like Hammer in AZ, then that is his right until his contract drops to a MNTC in which he has to give the team a list.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
That's the kind of move that would impact future player's views on the organization. TJ has a contract which drops to a MNTC in 21-22, so this notion of strong arming him won't sit will with other players around the NHL or on their roster. Either they wait it out or they ask him in good faith to waive. If he doesn't like Hammer in AZ, then that is his right until his contract drops to a MNTC in which he has to give the team a list.

Why?
He has a NTC not a NMC. And Tampa needs capspace. If TyJo is not willing to cooperate in finding a trade to a destination he likes, why wouldn't Tampa just waive him and try to solve their issues that way? Whats so wrong about that? Other organisations have pulled way worse stuff and that was not on the back of a global pandemic that has completely ruined the capsituation for many teams in the NHL...

horner

May 22, 2007
Dallas isn’t cash strapped. UFA player salaries coming off in 2021 would cover Heisk raise.

Tampa is in a different situation.

They have a group of 4 F theyhave to move 2 of thrm to open up space to sign their young players.

There is an outside shot they could trade Stamkos.

With Tampa teams should know their cap troubles and low ball the players value.

Personally I’m concerned with any player who has 4+ years taking thrm to their mid30s where they could be fine next year but be an anchor the last 2 yrs.
That would not look good on them at all.

Using there tax advantage then dump me.

Stamkos never plays a full season .

I hope a couple of teams go after there rfas

They have an unfair advantage over other teams especially Canadian teams.

horner

May 22, 2007
@LEAFANFORLIFE23

Either way it won't look good on Tampa Bay for there future rfas

horner

May 22, 2007
Sergachev cirelli and cernak will cost them at least 12 to 13 mil
5.33 mil cap space
Gourde 5.16
Johnson 5 mil
15.46 mil cap space

9 forwards signed
5 dman signed
2 goaltenders signed
16 players signed
2.46 or 3.46 left over

Point needs to be resigned in 22-23
He will get 10 mil minimum

It's going to be fun to watch them manover there cap

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
That would not look good on them at all.

Using there tax advantage then dump me.

Stamkos never plays a full season .

I hope a couple of teams go after there rfas

They have an unfair advantage over other teams especially Canadian teams.

The no income tax really isn’t that big of a deal. There is far more that that. When you look at sales tax + income tax+ property tax is what should be looked at.

horner

May 22, 2007
The no income tax really isn’t that big of a deal. There is far more that that. When you look at sales tax + income tax+ property tax is what should be looked at.
I agree
The NHL needs to make this right.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Or tampa exposes Tyler in a year to seattle and Seattle takes him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad