GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I mean, there's never even been a rumour to such a thing. It seems you are projecting to a team and specifically a player you are angry about, given their underperformance. It's utter nonsense.
Was Matt Duchene a problem? Not per say but he did have that loser stink on him, much like Marner

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Was Matt Duchene a problem? Not per say but he did have that loser stink on him, much like Marner
I don't know about specifics but Trotz's first move was to get rid of Johansen and Duchene at any cost, even after a 40+ goal season so take that as you will. Glad to see he's doing well in Dallas, we liked him here.

Reactions: JKG33

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I don't know about specifics but Trotz's first move was to get rid of Johansen and Duchene at any cost, even after a 40+ goal season so take that as you will. Glad to see he's doing well in Dallas, we liked him here.
Yea that's what I mean. If he identified them to be a problem I don't see why he'd identify Marner as a solution.

Duchene at less than half of what Nashville was paying him is a bargain, and something you can win with.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
I can see Berube looking to trade for some Blues players he used to rely on. One of the players that comes to mind is Brandon Saad if we don't sign Bertuzzi. Saad's cap hit is 4.5 million, but he still produces (26 goals last season). He is known as a tough, net-front presence type of player and may work well on Matthew's line. I wonder what he's worth if the Blues continue to retool?

Lily +? Robertson +?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Duchene was a piece that had to go on the Colorado builds. Once he went the next push of Avs kids formed into the eventual winner.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
After todays cap clearing move:

Forsberg-O'Reilly-Marner

Book it.
What exactly would Nashville trade to us for him? It doesn't sound like Saros is available. Their first is 22nd. Askarov and Wood?

Saros, 29, has one season remaining on a four-year, $20 million contract ($5 million average annual value) he signed Aug. 16, 2021. He is eligible to sign a contract extension July 1.

“We’ll be in talks,” Trotz said. “I’m sure it’s not going to be definitely a July 1 announcement, probably. I think it’s going to be a process with his people, his representatives. But I do know this: [Saros] wants to be here, and he’s been a big part of it. I’d like him to be here, so we’re going to work hard at getting something done with him.”

Saros agreed with Trotz, saying that he wants to remain with the Predators for the remainder of his career.

“It’s a great city,” he said. “We have unbelievable fans, and I think as an organization we took a good step this year, too. I believe in this organization, so obviously I would be happy to [sign].”

Reactions: aingefan

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Nashville paid a stupid amount of money to clear the cancers outta their locker room in Duchene and RyJo. Why would they wanna turn around and burn both assets and money on Marner?
Good point…….

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Nashville paid a stupid amount of money to clear the cancers outta their locker room in Duchene and RyJo. Why would they wanna turn around and burn both assets and money on Marner?
Because RoR loved playing with him, and has plenty of great things to say about him?? They need some offense.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Path is very clearly laid out for a Marner to Nashville trade.

It makes sense from Nashville's perspective (they have a short window while Forsberg/Josi are still good, a ton of capspace, and Marner at age 27 would have a legit shot at best offensive player in franchise history, for a team short on big offensive stars). It also makes sense from Marner's perspective - no tax state, well run team, fun city, warm climate, a relatively low pressure market but also a good fanbase, etc.

Certainly makes sense on paper!

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I've been hearing Askarov hype for years now, but whenever I've seen him play - like in WJC, he's been garbage. And Nashville doesn't seem to want to give him the keys either.

Are we sure he's actually worth the hype?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
It makes sense from Nashville's perspective
It really doesn't when you look at the fact that...
It also makes sense from Marner's perspective - no tax state, well run team, fun city, warm climate, a relatively low pressure market but also a good fanbase, etc.
They just paid to get rid of RyJo and Duchene because they were the types who wanted to be in a fun city with low pressure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad