Speculation: Will rinne play out the remaining three years of contract??

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
Ok, dumb question: could we leave Rinne unprotected, knowing he's not going to be picked up?

No, he has a NMC.

Actually if he were to waive the NMC then we could leave him unprotected but that's the only way. I would doubt that he does that.

Preds33 is correct in that the only way to leave Rinne unprotected is for him to waive his NMC.

Would he do that/would he be asked to do that? Very, very unlikely. The only scenario in which that might be possible is if he plays himself out of the starting goalie spot prior to the trade deadline and is displaced by either Saros or another acquired goalie.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
He play out his contact. He or somewhere else. I think this year will define his tenure here.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Look like we have selected the whipping boy for this year... Willy, you're off the hook

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
How has he looked? I know that he trained extra hard this summer and to get back to top form.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I wonder what it would take to get Cory Schneider?
I think we win a cup with him in net, he is top three in league in same tier as price and holtby. But Devils stink.
I would trade a lot for him then waive rinne

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Devils have a young team and have the likes of Hall, Palmieri, Bennett (?) and Henrique in their prime years during the time Schneider is still likely to stay elite. They have talent coming up in Zacha, Severson and whoever else.

Unless they are confident in one of their young goalies to step up in next 2 years I don't think they will trade him, but that being said, it would be interesting to know what the price was, if we were to trade Rinne for Schneider.

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
I wonder what it would take to get Cory Schneider?
I think we win a cup with him in net, he is top three in league in same tier as price and holtby. But Devils stink.
I would trade a lot for him then waive rinne

I'm fine with having Rinne menor Saros over the next couple seasons. No interest in Schneider

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
Stinky team or no, the Devils have no real reason to trade him.

Even though Rinne is not elite anymore, I just don't see why your trade a 34 year old still pretty good Rinne for one who is 30.

We've traded Weber and Jones in a year. I don't think you can trade much more and not really mess up the team.

To me it seems ride Rinne for a while but call Saros up and have him play much more than the backups have played in recent years. Rinne probably won't like it much, but it has to be done.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
IF you find a way to move Rinne (which I don't really want to do). You throw all the money in the world at Bishop in the offseason. Literally all of it.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Pekka Rinne's numbers today;

2.04 gaa (career best is 2.12)
.933 save %, 5th best among all starting goalies (career best .930)

Now the question....How much will this normalize over the course of the season?

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
Now the question....How much will this normalize over the course of the season?

My question, too. As the playoffs showed last year he can be elite Pekka for a stretch, but I think the more he is used the more he wears down. And, Mazanec hasn't done that great when called.

If we only had Mitch Korn all would be right in the world....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad