Speculation: Will rinne play out the remaining three years of contract??

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
In my opinion, this is a thread with bad timing. I know you can point at certain stretches where Rinne certainly wasn't at his best, but in all, the team just had their best season ever and is building on that momentum starting in a month.

Combined with having three years left on the contract, I just don't see this as an issue right now. In the future? Certainly a possibility. But now? No.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
Rinne will have a top half-ish season; won't be with Price and the elites, but he'll be solid enough to keep a contending team contending. If he isn't we'll see Saros sharing duties, though.

Assuming we don't see Saros this year, there is no way Peks doesn't finish that contract. I doubt he's the #1 in year 3 - maybe splitting equal time - but absent an injury we aren't gonna' see Peks cut loose, if for no other reason than Poile doesn't do his men that way.

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
Assuming we don't see Saros this year, there is no way Peks doesn't finish that contract. I doubt he's the #1 in year 3 - maybe splitting equal time - but absent an injury we aren't gonna' see Peks cut loose, if for no other reason than Poile doesn't do his men that way.

I think we'll see Rinne starting for the next 2 years and by year 3 he'll split time with Saros. Depending on how much gas he has left in the tank when his deal is up, I don't think it's a stretch to say Poile brings him back for another year or two after that to back up Saros

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
I think either Pekka will have better year this year and all this becomes moot, or if he does have another sub par year he will probably either waive his NMC and let Vegas take him or retire and play his last few years back in Finland. Just don't see him struggling to stay in the NHL at 35 when he can always go back home and still make pretty decent money.

Now if we want to change this into a "Should Poile go into this year with a aging starter coming off a down year, and no proven backup" discussion, I think we could have that for days.

Who knows, but to think a guy will give up leverage or just walk away from $7 million a year? Why "go home" for decent money when you have a guaranteed $7 million? If Rinne walked away from that I would check his sanity.

He's not done, but he is as an everyday elite goalie. And another injury for long lengths of time would not be a bit surprising.

To me he is a lot like Fisher. Limit him, save him for the end of the season and postseason, he can catch lightning in a bottle, possibly.

I think the story is more who is his backup. And, I would not be a bit surprised to see Rinne swapped if Poile can find someone to take him.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Who knows, but to think a guy will give up leverage or just walk away from $7 million a year? Why "go home" for decent money when you have a guaranteed $7 million? If Rinne walked away from that I would check his sanity.

He's not done, but he is as an everyday elite goalie. And another injury for long lengths of time would not be a bit surprising.

To me he is a lot like Fisher. Limit him, save him for the end of the season and postseason, he can catch lightning in a bottle, possibly.

I think the story is more who is his backup. And, I would not be a bit surprised to see Rinne swapped if Poile can find someone to take him.
I think we'd be in a lot more trouble than we think if we got rid of Pekka. Just a thought.

kirkm

Oct 31, 2013
What kind of season is Rinne expected to have this year? Can he rebound and be a top 10 starter? or will he continue to decline?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
What kind of season is Rinne expected to have this year? Can he rebound and be a top 10 starter? or will he continue to decline?

that's the million dollar question. Nobody knows

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
I think we'd be in a lot more trouble than we think if we got rid of Pekka. Just a thought.

I agree. I was not saying we should cut him loose, just saying in the current Poile/Laviolette mode I would not be surprised.

It is just like Weber. I think we are going to miss him at first more than some think but it will be best in the long term.

My guess is Rinne is here for 2 more years unless some team makes a Weber type offer.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016

Well, he got rid of "his man" Shea Weber so I think there is a possibility.

My observation is Poile is actually trying to get rid of the Trotz style/era guys and remaking the team to Laviolette's kind of team.

Till this year I felt Poile had gotten very stale as a GM and bungled the Suter/Vesey deals. But now I give him huge credit for last year and this one. I like these bold moves and feel it was time for a change from the Trotz formula.

For the first time in a long, long time I feel this team actually has a legit shot. Not just a let's squeak into the playoffs and try to catch fire run, but a legit shot to make it to the finals. Even last year stretching the Sharks to game 7 I just felt any time the goofy Sharks wanted to they could easily beat us like they decided in game 7.

I think the key to this team could actually be Fiala. I think if he can provide second line minutes and points this team can go far.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Well, he got rid of "his man" Shea Weber so I think there is a possibility.

My observation is Poile is actually trying to get rid of the Trotz style/era guys and remaking the team to Laviolette's kind of team.

Till this year I felt Poile had gotten very stale as a GM and bungled the Suter/Vesey deals. But now I give him huge credit for last year and this one. I like these bold moves and feel it was time for a change from the Trotz formula.

For the first time in a long, long time I feel this team actually has a legit shot. Not just a let's squeak into the playoffs and try to catch fire run, but a legit shot to make it to the finals. Even last year stretching the Sharks to game 7 I just felt any time the goofy Sharks wanted to they could easily beat us like they decided in game 7.

I think the key to this team could actually be Fiala. I think if he can provide second line minutes and points this team can go far.

There is one huge difference between dealing Weber and Rinne: Rinne has a NMC. As shocking as it was to see Weber traded there wasn't anything he could do to stop it. So even with the very unlikely scenario Poile finds some sucker to take on Rinne's horrible contract, he will still have to convince him to waive the NMC.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I agree. I was not saying we should cut him loose, just saying in the current Poile/Laviolette mode I would not be surprised.

It is just like Weber. I think we are going to miss him at first more than some think but it will be best in the long term.

My guess is Rinne is here for 2 more years unless some team makes a Weber type offer.
I wouldn't be shocked to see Rinne in Vegas next season.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
There is one huge difference between dealing Weber and Rinne: Rinne has a NMC. As shocking as it was to see Weber traded there wasn't anything he could do to stop it. So even with the very unlikely scenario Poile finds some sucker to take on Rinne's horrible contract, he will still have to convince him to waive the NMC.

I am a bit shocked Weber did not have that. Was that because with the way the Preds matched the Philly offer?

Just from the media reports and observation I do believe Weber was trying his best to get out of Nashville at that time. I know a lot of Preds hard cores think everyone just wants to play here and loves us, but it's a business and that is why I never thought Suter was a bad guy for leaving, nor even Vesey for using his rights.

I don't think Rinne would have any problem waiving his NMC, especially if it's a decent team needing a goalie.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
^^
Yes, the offer sheet didn't have an NMC (I don't think they can) and after we matched Weber's jerkwad agent had the gall to ask for one to be added and I'm pretty sure Poile just laughed

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I wouldn't be shocked to see Rinne in Vegas next season.

depends on how well he plays this year. if he struggles, that wouldn't shock me either. if he's average or better it would.

Not sure why Vegas takes an aging, underperforming goalie with a 7 million dollar salary and cap hit off our hands.

I suppose if we retain cap hit and salary and throw in a prospect t could happen, but I dont know how excited Peks would be to go to an expansion team

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
^^
Yes, the offer sheet didn't have an NMC (I don't think they can) and after we matched Weber's jerkwad agent had the gall to ask for one to be added and I'm pretty sure Poile just laughed

Not quite. The offer sheet DID have a NMC attached. But, the CBA basically says that if you only have to match the financial terms of an offer sheet. So when Poile matched, he didn't match the NMC, just the financials.

In an interesting twist, since Subban was acquired before the NMC on his contract went into effect, Poile was also able to choose whether or not to keep the NMC on the contract. So of course he didn't, and Subban also now does not have a NMC.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Not quite. The offer sheet DID have a NMC attached. But, the CBA basically says that if you only have to match the financial terms of an offer sheet. So when Poile matched, he didn't match the NMC, just the financials.

In an interesting twist, since Subban was acquired before the NMC on his contract went into effect, Poile was also able to choose whether or not to keep the NMC on the contract. So of course he didn't, and Subban also now does not have a NMC.

Is it still so in the newest cba? I recall reading that you would have to match all terms.

e:
If the team exercises their Right of First Refusal, they will be obligated to sign the player to an SPC with all terms matching those of the offer sheet.
http://www.generalfanager.com/cba

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Is it still so in the newest cba? I recall reading that you would have to match all terms.

e:

http://www.generalfanager.com/cba

We've covered this in other threads.

11.8 Individually Negotiated Limitations on Player Movement.

(a) The SPC of any Player who is a Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agent under Article 10.1(a) may contain a no-Trade or a no-move clause. SPCs containing a no-Trade or a no-move clause may be entered into prior to the time that the Player is a Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agent so long as the SPC containing the no-Trade or no-move clause extends through and does not become effective until the time that the Player qualifies for Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agency. If the Player is Traded or claimed on Waivers prior to the no-Trade or no-move clause taking effect, the clause does not bind the acquiring Club. An acquiring Club may agree to continue to be bound by the no-Trade or no-move clause, which agreement shall be evidenced in writing to the Player, Central Registry and the NHLPA, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof.

(b) A no-Trade clause or a no-move clause that is negotiated as part of an extension of an SPC entered into pursuant to Section 50.5(f) may become effective immediately upon registration of, but prior to the effective date of, such SPC extension, provided: (i) the Player would otherwise have been eligible as of the immediately preceding July 1 prior to signing the SPC extension to have a no-Trade or no-move clause pursuant to Section 11.8; and (ii) the Club and the Player, who are parties to such SPC extension, agree that the no-Trade or no-move clause is effective immediately upon execution of the SPC extension (or at some later date agreed to by the Club and the Player) and evidence such agreement in writing in the SPC.

(c) A no-move clause may prevent the involuntary relocation of a Player, whether by Trade, Loan or Waiver claim. A no-move clause, however, may not restrict the Club's Buy-Out and termination rights as set forth in this Agreement. Prior to exercising its Ordinary Course Buy-Out rights pursuant to Paragraph 13 of the SPC hereof, the Club shall, in writing in accordance with the notice provisions in Exhibit 3 hereof, provide the Player with the option of electing to be placed on Waivers. The Player will have twenty-four (24) hours from the time he receives such notice to accept or reject that option at his sole discretion, and shall so inform the Club in writing, in accordance with the notice provisions in Exhibit 3 hereof, within such twenty-four (24) hour period. If the player does not timely accept or reject that option, it will be deemed rejected.

This is the only language mentioned in the new CBA regarding NMC or NTC. If it's not mentioned, it's assumed no changes were made.

I also think "term" usually refers to length and money, not other conditions.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
The Las Vegas ________ Knights will have many other options - younger and cheaper - than Rinne in the expansion draft.

I think they could be inclined to choose one of Ekholm/Ellis/Smith/Wilson. You can protect only so many guys.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I think they could be inclined to choose one of Ekholm/Ellis/Smith/Wilson. You can protect only so many guys.

Ekholm and Ellis will be protected as will likely one of Smith/Wilson. Poile has already stated he's going with the 4F, 4D, 1G option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad