Will Pittsburgh make the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Bottom line:
WHAT has to happen for us to finish 7th???
Whatever that is, dear Hockey Gods, please make it happen!!!!

CraigAdamsnumber1fan*

Fleury needs to start tonight and tomorrow if necessary. I know it seems obvious, but this organization surprises me.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Bottom line:

Pitt has to win both games, and ottawa can't win Saturday.

If pitt wins both games and isles lose both or get one point, they get Washington round 1and thus avoid the rangers and montreal

Edit: doesn't matter what sens do if pens win both they jump Ottawa. My bad

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Bottom line:

1. We get 1 point in our next two games and Ottawa loses to Philly in regulation.

2. We get 2 points (in any way) and Ottawa loses to Philly in OT

3. We get 3 points

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
If they had any heart they would win both games and get a better draw in the first round. Therefore I exoect 2 losses, one in ot, and the 8th seed.

Fom a purely selfish point of view, I would rather they not make it because I will feel compelled to watch. and a 1st round thrashing by the rags will be unbearable.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
If pens win both and isles win Saturday pens stay the wild card other than that your correct

well, I said "could" not "would"

if Detroit and the Islanders lose out, and the Pens win out, then the Pens are ... 5th. If the Pens get 3 points, or 4 points, but the Islanders and Red Wings win out, then the Pens are 7th

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
well, I said "could" not "would"

if Detroit and the Islanders lose out, and the Pens win out, then the Pens are ... 5th. If the Pens get 3 points, or 4 points, but the Islanders and Red Wings win out, then the Pens are 7th

I know you did :) i was just clarifying for the next few questions that may have come from your post such as how do the pens face Washington

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The likely scenario given their putrid play of late and those 5 D (yikes) is that they squeak into the 8th spot and get demolished by the Rangers. If they manage to get the 7th seed, I can actually see this team, if healthy and confident, going relatively far. I'm not suggesting that the Atlantic are pushovers, but they aren't matchup nightmares for the Pens like the Rangers, Capitals, and even Isles are.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
If they had any heart they would win both games and get a better draw in the first round. Therefore I exoect 2 losses, one in ot, and the 8th seed.

Fom a purely selfish point of view, I would rather they not make it because I will feel compelled to watch. and a 1st round thrashing by the rags will be unbearable.

I think a 1st round thrashing will do more to change the team makeup than not making the playoffs. Remember the kool-aid belief is that this team is built for the playoffs. If they don't get to test it this year, that belief doesn't die, and they'll aim to test it next year IMO.

It's like LA, do you really think they will tear apart the team because they didn't make the playoffs?

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
I've cheated and waited until the last game to make my prediction, but after watching the Isles game, I really don't expect a win in Buffalo. I suppose that Tampa could beat the Bruins but I don't expect that to happen either. I think our "luck" ends tomorrow night. They've gotten all the breaks they can expect, with other teams winning, and now it is up to them to finish it off with a win and I really believe that they won't be able to do it. I'm of the mind set that it just isn't meant to be. There are too many forces working against them. They get bad luck and bad calls from the officials, unlucky bounces, unrealistic longterm injuries, poor asset management, piss poor trade decisions, salary cap problems, the list of negatives go on and on some of which is just unlucky, some almost appears intentional by the league and a lot of it comes from poor management decisions but at the end of the day there is just too much to overcome and I don't think they can even beat the worst team in the league right now. It's over and I'm ready for it to end.

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus
I don't see us winning tonight in Buffalo. Sabres will finish dead last no matter what, so they could as well play for their pride in their home finalé. Pens, unfortunately, seem to be unable to play any meaningful and productive hockey. In the meantime, Boston grabs at least one point tonight and it's all over.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Buffalo can beat this team quite handily imo. Especially with the 5D were rolling.
We don't beat Buffalo, we don't deserve it imo. I hope Boston wins if we lose.

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
I expect Boston to lose in overtime and the Pens to lose outright. That would be a fitting end to the season. Getting bumped, out of the playoffs, by a losing team. Yeah that sounds like it would annoy me enough to actually happen.

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
well I just voted yes ... and now yes has 87 votes. My prediction ..... 87 will be the reason we make it. The will to win never dies.

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
I expect Boston to lose in overtime and the Pens to lose outright. That would be a fitting end to the season. Getting bumped, out of the playoffs, by a losing team. Yeah that sounds like it would annoy me enough to actually happen.

Pens have 38 ROW, Bruins only 37. So in that scenario, Pens would still be in the playoffs.

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
Pens have 38 ROW, Bruins only 37. So in that scenario, Pens would still be in the playoffs.

Thanks for the info. I considered that possibility, after posting, but I remembered someone saying the Bruins only needed one point so I thought maybe I was right. Good to know they have the edge on backing into the playoffs.

At the end of the day I'm just happy that our fate doesn't rest in the hands of Philadelphia. Those A-holes are enjoying our demise way too much and them throwing a game to keep us out would have been the icing on their pathetic cake. The crazy part is that I've felt as those the Pens have been playing some really bad hockey for a long while now. How is Philly so bad that they can't even get a whiff of our point total right now?

ETA

Aug 8, 2008
Also if the Pens get 1 point vs Buffalo, Bruins must win in regulation or OT but not in a shootout or the Pens are in.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I don't think the pens have a chance to do anything at all if they do make the playoffs after hearing about Letang.

But i still want to see playoff hockey, it would be good experience for a player like DP if hes able to play, i want to see how MAF and Sid play in the playoffs.

And i want ownership to get some home playoff games, i'm afraid pens might start cutting payroll if they don't get any playoff games.

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
God. I am so tired of hearing these absolute sycophants on the radio just spout Wordsworthian romanticism about this Rangers team. I really hope they get eliminated from the playoffs in the first round. If we can somehow pull off an upset if we can beat the Sabres, I will ask for nothing more from this team. They are already talking about the Stanley Cup finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad