Will Pittsburgh make the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Regarding the playoffs and those 5 D the last two games, if we make the playoffs, and as said there is a good chance we do, what are the rules for increasing the roster? I know there is relief at that point but do not know the extent. Could we add anyone we wanted?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm reserving judgment until I see how the games go tonight and tomorrow. If we're in a situation where we absolutely 100% NEED a point against the Isles, I don't know if they can pull it off (even though I think the Isles are also a bad team).

Islanders always seem to flip a switch against the Pens. I can see them dominate us again and score a boat load of goals. Fleury also sucks really bad against that team.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Regarding the playoffs and those 5 D the last two games, if we make the playoffs, and as said there is a good chance we do, what are the rules for increasing the roster? I know there is relief at that point but do not know the extent. Could we add anyone we wanted?

I always thought there was no roster limit, hence all teams carrying their "tax squad" or "black aces". All those guys who never even dressed but who are out on the ice to lift the Cup are guys who, I believe, were eligible to dress on any given night.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Yep. Definitely not good if your a Pens fan. Especially if we have to go with 5 D for the last 2 games as well. We'd even have a hard time beating Buffalo.

Girardi is playing. Nash, Zucc and Staal are the only ones sitting. The Rangers lineup still looks pretty good.

As I said in another thread, the Rangers can set a franchise points record tonight, it's their fan appreciation night, and they can get Lundqvist his 30th win (he's never had less than 30 wins in a season except for the lockout year). So I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that the Sens win this one.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I always thought there was no roster limit, hence all teams carrying their "tax squad" or "black aces". All those guys who never even dressed but who are out on the ice to lift the Cup are guys who, I believe, were eligible to dress on any given night.

What are the cap ramifications though? Can we then carry more than 5 D? We are going with an extremely short roster because of the cap, not because we have no one that we could call up. I thought that there was something about the cap restrictions coming off with the playoffs to one degree or another.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What are the cap ramifications though? Can we then carry more than 5 D? We are going with an extremely short roster because of the cap, not because we have no one that we could call up. I thought that there was something about the cap restrictions coming off with the playoffs to one degree or another.

There is no cap in the playoffs, as far as I can remember. It's why teams can carry so many guys on their active roster without worrying about going over the cap.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008

There is no cap in the playoffs, anyone and everyone can come up and play if they so choose.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
There is no cap in the playoffs, as far as I can remember. It's why teams can carry so many guys on their active roster without worrying about going over the cap.

That is what I thought. So assuming better health, and that we make the good odds of getting in, we might be in better shape than the entire world is giving us credit for right now. I am not saying that this is a cup championship team, but they are probably not as bad as EVERYONE, including us, believes. It is funny, but on the main board in the thread asking about who could be an underdog, no one picks the Pens. Not because we are a favorite but because everyone thinks that the Pens suck so badly they do not even warrent an underdog vote. A drag queen has a better chance of becoming Pope than this team winning a playoff series is what most think.

They are the kind of team I would hate to face in the playoffs actually. A team given zero chance with two of the best players in the world with something to prove.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That is what I thought. So assuming better health, and that we make the good odds of getting in, we might be in better shape than the entire world is giving us credit for right now. I am not saying that this is a cup championship team, but they are probably not as bad as EVERYONE, including us, believes. It is funny, but on the main board in the thread asking about who could be an underdog, no one picks the Pens. Not because we are a favorite but because everyone thinks that the Pens suck so badly they do not even warrent an underdog vote. A drag queen has a better chance of becoming Pope than this team winning a playoff series is what most think.

They are the kind of team I would hate to face in the playoffs actually. A team given zero chance with two of the best players in the world with something to prove.

If everyone who was on the roster was available for the playoffs, perhaps. But with Letang's concussion issues, plus Maatta and Dupuis already being ruled out until next season, it's not like as soon as the playoffs begin the Pens can play all of them without worry of cap penalty and suddenly they're a stacked team.

Also, the way I see the Pens if I am looking at them from the eyes of opposing fans is, they're the type of team you worry about playing in a given round because if Sid and Geno go beast mode, they can knock you out. But they're not the kind of team that you put money on to win 4 rounds.

That's my mindset, anyway, when looking at this roster. It wouldn't shock me if Sid and Geno are enough to carry the team to one series win, but I have zero confidence that that can carry over 4 full series.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If everyone who was on the roster was available for the playoffs, perhaps. But with Letang's concussion issues, plus Maatta and Dupuis already being ruled out until next season, it's not like as soon as the playoffs begin the Pens can play all of them without worry of cap penalty and suddenly they're a stacked team.

Also, the way I see the Pens if I am looking at them from the eyes of opposing fans is, they're the type of team you worry about playing in a given round because if Sid and Geno go beast mode, they can knock you out. But they're not the kind of team that you put money on to win 4 rounds.

That's my mindset, anyway, when looking at this roster. It wouldn't shock me if Sid and Geno are enough to carry the team to one series win, but I have zero confidence that that can carry over 4 full series.

Yeah I hate to sound optimistic. I am pretty obviously not. Look at my name.

I merely am saying that things have swung so far the other way that there is no way the reality is fitting the current perception. I doubt anyone left believes that this team could beat Buffalo in a seven game series. Most think that they lost to them on Saturday. That is more what I am talking about.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
how-do-you-like-me-now.jpg

Things looking a bit brighter than they did a few hours ago.

sand1138man

Apr 25, 2007
Buffalo fan here.....I would love for our gm's to make a deal that you beat us in regulation in buffalo on saturday because you would get in the playoffs, and we would guarentee eichel.......if the sabres beat columbus tomorrow then every single person in Buffalo and Pittsburg will want a regulation win for pittsburg on saturday......either way, Buffalo never beats the penguins anyways so please don't let that streak break now......

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So with Boston losing tonight, the Pens need only need to win 1 out of their 2 remaining games to make it. Do they come out flying tomorrow against the Isles and nail down that playoff spot, or do they look lousy because they know they've got Buffalo on Saturday as an easy win?

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Buffalo fan here.....I would love for our gm's to make a deal that you beat us in regulation in buffalo on saturday because you would get in the playoffs, and we would guarentee eichel.......if the sabres beat columbus tomorrow then every single person in Buffalo and Pittsburg will want a regulation win for pittsburg on saturday......either way, Buffalo never beats the penguins anyways so please don't let that streak break now......

Hey no problemo brah, we'll try our best while you try your worst.

Deal!

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Pens are at a 96% chance now to get in. 2 points in last two games gets them in.

Still, I don't want to leave it to that Sabres game. If ever there is a team that would choke in that situation it's us. Just win tomorrow and get it over with.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Boston also has to play Tampa in their last game and that game is in Tampa Bay plus Tampa will want to win that to go for the division.

But let's please not let it come to needing Boston to lose. Just effing win tomorrow. Don't even let it get to the Buffalo game.

penspenspens

Feb 2, 2014
What happens now after Boston's loss last night? What happens if we get one point, and Boston wins the next game in regulation without a shootout?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
What happens now after Boston's loss last night? What happens if we get one point, and Boston wins the next game in regulation without a shootout?

Pens magic number to clinch now is 2pts. If we're tied with Boston in points, they win the tie breaker.

penspenspens

Feb 2, 2014
Pens magic number to clinch now is 2pts. If we're tied with Boston in points, they win the tie breaker.
But Boston needs to win the next game right? Otherwise we're tied on points, but we get one more ROW than they do. And if we get one point, Boston needs to win in regulation or OT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad