Will Monahan/Gaudreau be better than Iginla?

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Honestly, to me Iginla isn't even on Niewendyk's status. Probably 3rd greatest player of all time after Niewendyk and Kiprusoff.

Again, I think Gaudreau could finish in that top spot. I think there's a very distinct possibility of this happening. IMO he's the most skilled player we've had since Kent Nilsson who was an era-esque great (Gretzky once said he was the most skilled player he every played against).

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Regarding points and being a power forward . . .

Look at Dave Andreychuck's numbers. He didn't play with tons of good teams until he finished his career in Tampa and won a cup.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=80

Or a Keith Ktachuck:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=5414

I know none of you will like my comparison, but Iginla was/is power forward skilled.

Gaudreau is Sakic, Crosby, Gretzky (cough) skilled. I don't know how high this guy will rise. He'll need a few other players besides (and including) Monahan to raise their games to have his point-totals grow in years to come, but he could be in a class of his own in the present NHL very soon. I don't mind saying it.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Considering Iggy scored 500+ goals as a Flame, no neither will be better.

Gaudreau may end up having a better points per game than Iggy over his career, but Iggy did so much for this team with semi-garbage players for the most part (Huselius, Langkow, Tangs, Conroy obviously aren't terrible, but he didn't play with them for extended periods of time).

With that said, Gaudreau basically carried the Flames for the first 2 months of the season and we'd be in dead last in the standings. That 10+? game home streak was a lot because of him scoring at a ridiculous pace.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Because Iginla had poor teammates most of his career, that shouldn't be held against Gaudreau. Was Gretzky not great because he had Messier, Kurri and Coffey? At the end of the day, you judge the player and how they make the players around them better. If Gaudreau elevates other very good players into elite status, then he's every bit as good as Iginla was because that's what Iggy did. They're different players, but there will be many factors to consider.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You need that beast on the RW on that line. It's why a guy like Luč makes sense; whack on the hands? Well, better get ready to have your face pummelled in.

Or you're right. Teams will continue to take advantage of Gaudreau. I'd be surprised if Monny and Johnny end up with 2 career fights between them.

I agree and have been saying this for a while, we need Lucic. Maybe Hunter Smith can be that guy in time, but I'm not holding my breath. I think we need to address right away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad