• Mitch has assisted on only 1 of JVR 8 goals at 5-vs-5, this season
Mitch has also assisted the most with Martin at 5-vs-5 lol
thought i would share.

Last edited:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Do you think Marner is playing well defensive or offensively?

I don't think he's playing well anywhere right now.
He has been bounced around playing with different players all season long really not fair for a second year player to be treated this way. Offensively he has been fine creating chances. Defending he has been trying to do too much at times and has struggled.

I can not see Marner on a line that does not include Mathews moving forward as Mathews needs him and he needs Mathews.

Reactions: hullsy47 and WWB

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I don't disagree with any of that, although I'm not convinced Bozak is as bad defensively as most people think. Certainly not much worse than your average non-shutdown centre. He's no defensive wizard and that gets amplified by playing with mostly wingers who are much the same.

But the "lazy Bozak" narrative has gotten so out of control that people now think he makes his line-mates lazy by association. That's beyond absurd.

If you look at the Leafs statistically the only negative players on the team forwards wise have been Mitch, JVR and Bozak. It's not that they are spectacularly bad at D but when they're not chipping in offensively while being scored against even an average amount, they stand out like sore thumbs. Most non shutdown pairings don't tend to get scored on a whole lot mostly because they tend to be energy lines. On a GOOD team, you would expect much much better from what would be a 2nd line with Bozak/ JVR/ Marner. Specially if they're slumping offensively.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
If you look at the Leafs statistically the only negative players on the team forwards wise have been Mitch, JVR and Bozak. It's not that they are spectacularly bad at D but when they're not chipping in offensively while being scored against even an average amount, they stand out like sore thumbs. Most non shutdown pairings don't tend to get scored on a whole lot mostly because they tend to be energy lines. On a GOOD team, you would expect much much better from what would be a 2nd line with Bozak/ JVR/ Marner. Specially if they're slumping offensively.

And when it was jvr bozak and kessel they were terrible defensively.
Care to look at what the common denominator is. Don’t have to be a rocket scientist to figure that out.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Some of this stuff is going to be really funny to read in a couple years. Or sad.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
1) McDavid
2) Eichel
3) Boeser
4) Marner
5) Provorov
6) Werenski
7) Rantanen
8) Barzal
9) Aho
10) Chabot
I could easily have Marner 8th on your list today and i can just as easily see him being 2nd a year from now.

there was a ton of talent in that draft and the players will probably flip positions every season in a re draft for the next decade

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
He has been bounced around playing with different players all season long really not fair for a second year player to be treated this way. Offensively he has been fine creating chances. Defending he has been trying to do too much at times and has struggled.

I can not see Marner on a line that does not include Mathews moving forward as Mathews needs him and he needs Mathews.
Babcock disagrees with you unfortunately. I don’t see him ever putting Marner with Matthews for a consistent period of time. Just like I don’t see Hyman ever leaving Matthews’ wing

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
but but but.. those fancy offseason training videos...

I think he'll be fine once a couple bounces go his way. Most young guys go through tough times and are better for it once they work through it.. Marner is no different, don't let that Maple Leaf on his jersey let you think otherwise.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I would EASILY take that bet. This kid will be the real deal, just needs a little longer than most players, ala Johnny Gaudreau.

Too bad some fans have a “what have you done for me lately” mentality and no patience so they bash the kid.

He is already ahead of JG at the same age. But yeah, I agree that he will be a star.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Babcock disagrees with you unfortunately. I don’t see him ever putting Marner with Matthews for a consistent period of time. Just like I don’t see Hyman ever leaving Matthews’ wing
I did not think so either but it will not be his decision only if this slide continues and Babcock will want to get some life in the offence and Nylander and Mathews were not cutting it.

I like Nylander with Kadri and Marner with Mathews moving forward and Brown joining Bozak.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
IMO, Babcock has coached him into the ground.

He used to fly around out there last year, but Babcock continually tried to shove his approach down his throat which in-turn made Marner doubt his whole playing style. His strengths, (spatial awareness, timing, hesitation, unique board play etc.) are now all his weaknesses.

Playing with two of the worst defensive forwards in the NHL doesn't help either.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Barzal> Marner

During that draft the alternative discussions we had here were. Trade back for Bar, Wer, Prov. Seems all of our options would have panned out favourably. Mitch is his own worse enemy, blowing his opportunities.

Someone tell him... Mitch, seriously get a new stick or something. Guy can't shoot, one of the most embarrassing shots I have ever seen in the NHL.

Reactions: hullsy47

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Some of this stuff is going to be really funny to read in a couple years. Or sad.
well right now nylander desrvrs his minutes ,marner is not scoring enuff ,as of the last 50 games ,and what happens if the leafs bring in a top puck moving point man on the power play ?
where does a coach fit him in ,the bottom line is mitch may never be a 20 goal scorer ,well maybe in 5 years ,he only really got hit once last year and he got hurt ,now hes getting creamed ,like Mathews and he deffinatley lets up on the forecheck ,cant sugar coat it sorry

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I’m thinking once Mitch gets away from Bozak and plays in a system that targets his strengths he’ll go back to being a dynamic winger again.

What system is going to help him when he tries to make 50mph 2ft passes in the crease when he should shoot or flubs all his scoring chances. That's all on him, not the line. Not the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad