Will McDavid hit 100 assists this season?

Will McDavid hit 100 assists this season?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WPGDEVILS

Jan 3, 2018
Voted yes, even in a team slump it seems that when the oilers score McDavid just always has an assist

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Do you ever account for environment?
Sure all of the time
Because for all the jokes about Babe Ruth being some wittily fat guy we are now entering a much softer era across all sports due to the investment factor in star players.
Ruth played in an all white league and the softer now comment really falls fault.

Bigger faster players colliding more often isn't softer by any means.
There was indeed massive protection for Gretzky and everyone knew it but you could well argue it's even worse now.

Makes you think Howe is rather untouchable since he obliterates anyone in longevity, had the individual and team accomplishments and dominance for his time.

Yeah I honestly think it's more likely he hits 100 assists than Matthews hitting 70 although it's beginning to look as if both are inevitable.
I think both will happen and it looks like Kuch is going to flirt with 140ish points as well.

Very exciting times we live in.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
If he wants to get 30 assists in the next 20ish games, then he will do it. I really do think it's just a matter of what he feels like doing

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Indeed. True leaders serve milk and cookies to their teammates on the bench while periodically saluting the team logo while crying.
Modern culture has destroyed the sportsmanship we all grew up on smh

Reactions: Mez

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
well I mean he could still potentially miss but seems unlikely knowing what we know about McDavid
Sure that's true and it was a lot more likely when this thread started and he needed 41 assists in 32 games and now needs 30 in 26.

So in 11 days he cut the margin by 5 assists.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
If McDavid hangs on to lead the league in assists, that'll be his 4th time. In all of NHL history, only Gretzky and Orr have led the league in assists four (or more) times.
That's a curiously low number compared to goals. There are eight players who have won the goal scoring title at least four times.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Has anyone else even been top 10 in assists more than 10x?
Gordie Howe did it a ridiculous 22 times. (Yes, it was a smaller league - but none of his peers were even close).

Several "pure" playmakers were top ten in assists 12 times - Joe Thornton, Ron Francis, and Adam Oates.

Jean Beliveau did it 11 times. Then several players did it ten times - Jagr, Crosby, Mikita, and Delvecchio.

McDavid will be up to eight times assuming he doesn't have a catastrophic injury this year. If McDavid finishes in the top three in assists, that'll be the 8th time in his career. The only players who have done that more are Gretzky and Howe, who did that 16(!) and 10 times respectively.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
If McDavid hangs on to lead the league in assists, that'll be his 4th time. In all of NHL history, only Gretzky and Orr have led the league in assists four (or more) times.

And he’s been no lower than second over the past 8 seasons.

2017-2018: 67, behind Giroux and Wheeler’s league leading 68

2018-2019: 75, behind only Kucherov’s 87

2019-2020: tied for second with Panarin with 63 behind Draisaitl’s 67 while missing 7 games

2021-2022: 79, behind only Huberdeau’s 85

About as consistent as one can be in today’s game. Basically always first or second in assists, points, and PPG.

Last edited:

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
2 weeks ago I really doubted it. Last year I doubted he could score 60 goals, doubted he could score 150 points. I need to stop doubting this guy. He definitely will not win the Art Ross this season though, finally I will be right.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Some assist numbers.

Has 20 assists in his past 8 games (2.5 APG).

Since starting with 10 assists in his first 15 games, he has 60 assists in his past 39 games (1.54 APG).

Some stats for these past 39 games:

He’s notched at least an assist in 32 of those games.

He’s had 16 multi-assist games; 8 are at least 3 assists, 4 have been at least 4, and then there’s the 6 assist game.

Has 5 games in a row with 2 assists. It reminded me of last season when he had 5 games in a row with 2 goals. The dates were similar; 2/19/23 through 2/26/23 versus 2/21/24 through 3/1/24.

His current 80 game pace is 103.7 assists. 103 assists would beat Orr’s lone season and Gretzky’s 11 lowest of 100 assist seasons.

His pace over the past 39 games would see him finish with 110. This would pass 2 more Gretzky seasons and land him inside the top 10.

All that being said, I still want to see him pot more goals from here on out. He’s on track for his lowest full season total since his sophomore campaign. Something still doesn’t seem totally right when I watch his games.

Here’s hoping for a monstrous finish where he makes it to 40 goals and 100 assists in 80 games.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
2 weeks ago I really doubted it. Last year I doubted he could score 60 goals, doubted he could score 150 points. I need to stop doubting this guy. He definitely will not win the Art Ross this season though, finally I will be right.
he is 12 points behind Kuch and Oilers have 5 games in hand on TB don't count him out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad