Will Malkin play this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjags*

When Malkin was originally drafted he was slated to stay in Russia at least one more year. Now that there looks to be hockey this fall, will he play for the Pens this season? Or stay another year in Russia?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Epsilon said:
Malkin is going to be a real beast when he reaches the NHL, if he spends another year or two in Russia.
Wether he spends a year or two in Russia should make little difference to his development.

He's definately finished honing his skills in Europe after next season

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'd rather he come over but playing under Dave King could be beneficial to him.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Russia is better for development its more open and allows players to be fancy and shine while NHL doesnt really allow that so i think it better he stays there one more year

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
AnThGrt said:
Russia is better for development its more open and allows players to be fancy and shine while NHL doesnt really allow that so i think it better he stays there one more year

I thought Russian hockey was more defensive then the NHL. Am I just totally off my rocker?

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I think Malkin shoudl play on the Pens next season for two reasons:

1: He is ready to play in the NHL. He would definitely benefit from playing another year in Russia, but he would benefit equally by playing in the NHL, and playing in the NHL next season would not be rushing his development.

2: I believe Malkin can make a significant impact on the Penguins as soon as next season, particularly given that he will be playing with guys like Lemieux, Recchi, and other all star-level UFAs the Pens are certain to sign.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Hedberg16 said:
Malkin is going to stay in Russia for another two, maybe three years.

I can't imagine Malkin would stay in Russia for three years. Two seems like the absolute most. He's good enough to be a solid NHL contributor now.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Malkin could come over now and get top 6 ice time with the Penguins and I don't think you'll find many people saying his skills aren't NHL ready yet. I want him to play in Pittsburgh and feel it would be good for him if he does. But I still have a feeling he'll stay anyways for another season.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
I think he will stay in Russia, it will be tough to get any of the young Russian players to the NHL.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
EroCaps said:
Malkin should come over now. He's ready and he'd benefit from getting time w/Mario.

agreed. The kid had a year in russia this year, played great from what i heard. They still got Mario, they got recchi, might add another 1-2 players... Malkin might thrive in pittsburgh next year with all the playing time he wants and can really be used to help MAF with some goals the other way... Him, Ryan Whitney and MAF all 3 improving there current positions, Pittsburgh might emerge a little this year out of the dump theyve been in for a few years... i think they are sitting kinda good... id love to see malkin play this comming year, we need these kids brought in to show the new crowd and the comming back crowd some excitment..

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I read at a another meassage board that Malkin has a year (or 2?) left on his contract and that the Pens would have to pay big money to get him since it doesn't include an NHL clause.

Zoo

Jul 29, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
freakazoid said:
He will stay, and good for him. There isn't much going on in PIT right now.

Just wait until the NHL starts backup.... da pens will no longer be a team that trades all there stars away. :propeller

And yes Malkin will stay one more season.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Since the new CBA will have a limit on the $$ that rookies will make in the first few years in the NHL, wouldn't it be in Malkin's best interest to come over here ASAP in order to get that 3 or 4 year period over and done with and then make the big $$$?

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
You guys have been saying that he can go the NHL and play good, and another year in Russia won't do him much good or the NHL will do the same for him. But instead of looking at that, you should look at if he wants to go to north america, or stay at home in Russia. I've not read anything saying he wants to go over; but, on the flip side, I've not read anything saying he wants to stay in Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad