Will Leafs Loading Up Lead to Anything...?

tolwyn

Feb 4, 2015
Also ranked 32 for points in the league...but we want to make him the highest paid, or very close to highest paid player in the league...why?

This so much. We don't need to be paying him $10.5+ for 7 years if he's getting 60-70 points a year, isn't very good in the faceoff circle, and isn't doing much if he's not scoring. Having 15%+ of your cap tied up in a guy like that when we need to sign our Nylanders, Marners, Riellys, 1sts from this year and next, a goalie, and if we make any big moves for a young player (Trouba for an example - not that I think we do for him) can quickly become a problem. I'd love to have him on the team for his actual value ($8-8.5) but that's just dreaming.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
This so much. We don't need to be paying him $10.5+ for 7 years if he's getting 60-70 points a year, isn't very good in the faceoff circle, and isn't doing much if he's not scoring. Having 15%+ of your cap tied up in a guy like that when we need to sign our Nylanders, Marners, Riellys, 1sts from this year and next, a goalie, and if we make any big moves for a young player (Trouba for an example - not that I think we do for him) can quickly become a problem. I'd love to have him on the team for his actual value ($8-8.5) but that's just dreaming.

Once Marner or Nylander, or heck even Matthews start producing more then him, how do you tell them they aren't worth 10-12M?

The bar has been set at that point and he becomes a point of comparison on the team.

Leafed

Jan 28, 2009
Considering we now have three 2nd round picks in 2017 (TOR, OTT, SJ), where is the value in packaging 2/3 of the picks?

Does 2017 2nd OTT + 2017 2nd SJ = 1st 2016? What number?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
We need two defense man as Huneick should not be in the top 4.

Ideally... but we should also temper expectations, and focus on the difference between "needs today" and "needs eventually".

The Leafs need, both today, and long term, a top pair defenceman to play alongside Morgan Rielly and/or Jake Gardiner. Given that we're rebuilding, a guy who qualifies as "top 4" would likely suffice for today's needs... so the real hope is that we get somebody who's top 4 today, top pair in the future.

Assuming you get that, yes, for this team to be highly successful, Matt Hunwick cannot be a top 4 defenceman. However, at this point, we're not shooting for a Stanley Cup. We just need a guy to help insulate some younger players, and Hunwick has done a fine job of that.

Eventually, will we need somebody else there? yes. However, we may have that guy already in the system... so it doesn't make much sense to go out looking for a long term solution.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Once Marner or Nylander, or heck even Matthews start producing more then him, how do you tell them they aren't worth 10-12M?

The bar has been set at that point and he becomes a point of comparison on the team.

How do you tell them???

Welll DUHHH!!!!!!!! 99

You tell them you are a RFA and no one demands 10/12m a year.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Next Years D is fine as I see it, but we should aim to draft a stud dmen by moving up in either this draft or the next. Adam Thilander is a name I would watch for next year.

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Loov
Percy - Harrington

FazeLeaf*

I fully expect Lou Lam to be looking for JVR for Trouba type trade to find a partner for Rielly and start building from the goalie out. Rielly and Trouba from the same draft class and only a few picks apart making them similar age partners and able to grow together being our version of Keith/Seabrook.

I also expect Lou to go goalie shopping to start working on solidifying that position. Komarov to Washington for top goalie prospect Ilya Samsonov as an example.

Leafs will always be in a position when your draft rebuilding to have the cap room to fit a Stamkos or another such type younger UFA signing to build up the team in addition to drafted players.

The Leafs need to keep JVR, they need him to insulate Nylander,Marner,Matthews/Laine/Puljujarvi/Dubois otherwise we are going to be like Edmonton.

FazeLeaf*

Considering we now have three 2nd round picks in 2017 (TOR, OTT, SJ), where is the value in packaging 2/3 of the picks?

You wont get a 1st, what if they are both bottom 10? Would you trade a 1st for the 54,57 picks in a draft a year after.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
It would make sense.

From a Sabres perspective, we had so many picks/prospects. All of those guys can't make the NHL. If you can package those question marks into proven NHL talent (Kane/O'Reilly) then it can seriously help your rebuild.

I think one major factor is how much value you place on the TML scouting headed by Mark Hunter.

If they're good enough to score on a selection even just 10% more often than the league average, it makes more sense to gather as many picks as possible and trade excess prospects when their value matures.

Not only have we massively upgraded the scouting department but we have also massively upgraded the development sectors, spending big on analytics, training, and establishing not just a very good AHL farm system but even expanding that to the ECHL.

And who knows maybe even the KHL at some point.

So our development sector is uniform. You can expect prospects from the OHL to the ECHL to the AHL to the NHL to all be playing the same way, trained under the same system, educated by the best trainers, monitored by analytics/advanced biometrics, and selected from the cream of the crop to succeed in that environment courtesy of Hunter and co.

Even with all these picks I would still expect the Leafs to trade down with regularity to get more picks, and maximize the value of simple picks by running them through the Leafs' development system and selling once we have solidly developed draft picks.

This is the Chicago/Detroit model financed by MLSE. We're going to redefine this concept.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Forgot to include Shanahan and Lamoriello's KHL connections and the access we already have out there via guys like Federov (GM of Red Army)... where Zaitsev plays... Larionov (agent for many KHLers), Fetisov (board of directors for KHL.

The NHL and KHL are currently negotiating an official transfer agreement and compensation is a major part.

You can bet the Shanny and Lou are making strong "recommendations" that the compensation (cash of course) be as high as possible so that smaller market or budget teams are out of the running for major FA talent.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
The Leafs need to keep JVR, they need him to insulate Nylander,Marner,Matthews/Laine/Puljujarvi/Dubois otherwise we are going to be like Edmonton.

They can find a JVR on the FA market and sign him to a $6-$8M deal on a two or three year deal, rather than keep JVR.

JVR has exceptionally high value because he is a 30+ goal scorer making $4.25AAV. To teams like CHI or LAK, that is a huge, huge benefit.

Leafs could even trade JVR and take a similarly elite goal-scorer in return, one whose cap hit is "normal" for that skill set.

That's why JVR has to go. There is immense value in his contract that is completely useless to the Leafs as they are rebuilding and can find JVRs at fair market value with ease.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Next Years D is fine as I see it, but we should aim to draft a stud dmen by moving up in either this draft or the next. Adam Thilander is a name I would watch for next year.

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Loov
Percy - Harrington

When you start penning in a KHL free agent that hasn't sign with us on the top pairing and you have 3 rookies, with Loov probably not having 2nd pairing potential, I'd say that is a train wreck waiting to happen actually.

OvenMittz*

Don't think it will happen this year. Maybe next year.. Or most likely the year after that.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
When you start penning in a KHL free agent that hasn't sign with us on the top pairing and you have 3 rookies, with Loov probably not having 2nd pairing potential, I'd say that is a train wreck waiting to happen actually.

True, Hunwick should replaced one of the rookies. But I think Percy and Loov if they play well will play out the rest of season giving them some experience. We are not suppose to be good next year either, but yeah I agree with another veteran in there

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
The Leafs are looking to take it low and slow, and I fully agree with it and believe it. But they have also loaded up big time and aren't done yet. Yes the picks will be used to restock the system. And yes maybe we see a move up in the draft this year. But even after all that they will still have excess.

Do you think the Leafs at all go the Buffalo route and make an O'Reilly type move, but maybe for a defenceman? Buffalo also traded for a goalie, which is interesting... but I don't think the Leafs will go that far.

Again I'm not saying this is what they should do. I just wonder if there is any thought of this.

You have Rielly, Nylander, Marner and the 1st. Kind of like how Buffalo had Risto, Reinhart and their 1st for Eichel. Guys who are already in the lineup like JVR and Gardiner and maybe Kadri and Komarov, like Girgensons, Foligno etc.. Plus a boatload of other picks and prospects. They felt like it was time to make some moves, get some vets to the lineup and get the build into the next stage. The O'Reilly trade seems good, the Kane trade will burn them, and its too early to tell on Lehner.

Will the Leafs do something like this, but to a lesser degree? (Or a bigger degree if you factor in potentially Stamkos and Zaitsev)? With this many picks, I feel like at least one thing might be cooking.

For this off-season we might deal a pick or two but I don't think it'll likely be for a big name. It's more likely to be for a young depth player who's a cap casualty. Think names like 24 year old Andrew Shaw, 25 year old Brayden NcNabb, 24 year old Simon Despres.

However, in 17 or 18 we're lining ourselves up well to make a big trade or two like Buffalo did.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Leafs motto is trade back for more picks, more than up.

You can own the rights of 100's of players in the CHL or Europe before having to sign them. Just sign 50 at a given time. Let them compete and the best will rise.

Draft smart, develop well and slowly build up.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Loov
Percy - Harrington

That D would be a trainwreck.

The Polak trade proved once again that every deadline even depth Dmen bring in a big return.

We should be looking to bring in a 1 year guy we can trade off for even more assets.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Leafs motto is trade back for more picks, more than up.

You can own the rights of 100's of players in the CHL or Europe before having to sign them. Just sign 50 at a given time. Let them compete and the best will rise.

Draft smart, develop well and slowly build up.

It was only one draft with Hunter at the helm.

We could just as easily trade up this draft.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
It was only one draft with Hunter at the helm.

We could just as easily trade up this draft.

Im really hoping thats something we do this year. I wasn't impressed trading backwards right out of the 1st round. Yeah I get the whole "stocking up on picks" but there were some good players we passed on in the 1st.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I would be surprised if the Leafs leave the 2016 draft with 12 drafted players since that's how many picks they have right now, however I would only trade their extra picks for the right players.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

well that's a good thing then :nod:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think Leafs management has learned from past mistakes of former Leafs managers as well as other teams that trading picks at the beginning of a rebuild is often a lousy idea.

The more chances you have at the draft the higher the likelihood one has at grabbing impact NHLers.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Unless you can trade up into the top 10, likely isn't worth it. You'd have better odds getting a good prospect with 2 2nds than a mid to late 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad