Will Leafs Loading Up Lead to Anything...?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
The Leafs are looking to take it low and slow, and I fully agree with it and believe it. But they have also loaded up big time and aren't done yet. Yes the picks will be used to restock the system. And yes maybe we see a move up in the draft this year. But even after all that they will still have excess.

Do you think the Leafs at all go the Buffalo route and make an O'Reilly type move, but maybe for a defenceman? Buffalo also traded for a goalie, which is interesting... but I don't think the Leafs will go that far.

Again I'm not saying this is what they should do. I just wonder if there is any thought of this.

You have Rielly, Nylander, Marner and the 1st. Kind of like how Buffalo had Risto, Reinhart and their 1st for Eichel. Guys who are already in the lineup like JVR and Gardiner and maybe Kadri and Komarov, like Girgensons, Foligno etc.. Plus a boatload of other picks and prospects. They felt like it was time to make some moves, get some vets to the lineup and get the build into the next stage. The O'Reilly trade seems good, the Kane trade will burn them, and its too early to tell on Lehner.

Will the Leafs do something like this, but to a lesser degree? (Or a bigger degree if you factor in potentially Stamkos and Zaitsev)? With this many picks, I feel like at least one thing might be cooking.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Will the Leafs do something like this, but to a lesser degree? (Or a bigger degree if you factor in potentially Stamkos and Zaitsev)? With this many picks, I feel like at least one thing might be cooking.

Signing Stamkos would be the "O'Reilly" move. Except better, because they'd have wasted zero assets doing it.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
It would make sense.

From a Sabres perspective, we had so many picks/prospects. All of those guys can't make the NHL. If you can package those question marks into proven NHL talent (Kane/O'Reilly) then it can seriously help your rebuild.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
It gives us flexibility. We could simply keep the picks, and stick to the slow build.

But we could also use the picks to make some moves, such as trading up from the Pittsburgh 1st to get a pick in the ~10ish OA range, or use some picks to trade for a goalie. We could do moves like that, and STILL have extra picks over the next few drafts.

No matter what we do, we dont really need to worry about dropping down to having only ~5-6 picks, like we typically had under Nonis.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm in favor of using younger assets/picks to acquire a defenseman who can play with Rielly long term if we landed Matthews at the draft.

Other then that, we can afford to wait another year after this.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I've no issues with dealing picks for the right players. You acquire the right players in all ways, it's naive to say only one way is the right way to build a team.

It's just about finding the right value.

Slightly off topic, but what are we thinking Bishop would be looking for in FA in a years time?

Could be a very astute pick up are the perfect time if the value is right.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
One would hope so.

The Leafs desperately need a defenceman to join Rielly/Gardiner/Hunwick in the top 4 next year. Ideally, they'd utilize some of the future assets now in the system to get one who fits within Rielly/Gardiner's age-range.

As teams look at Chicago as a model of success, and the impending cap crunch this summer... when being faced with the choice of moving an important veteran for very little, or a young player for a bunch of cost-controlled assets, they may decide on the latter, especially if their system is relatively shallow.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
It would make sense.

From a Sabres perspective, we had so many picks/prospects. All of those guys can't make the NHL. If you can package those question marks into proven NHL talent (Kane/O'Reilly) then it can seriously help your rebuild.

I can see us taking runs at Jacob Trouba or Tyson Barrie this off-season.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I'm in favor of using younger assets/picks to acquire a defenseman who can play with Rielly long term if we landed Matthews at the draft.

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. That's probably my #1 wish list item with all these trades before the deadline . . . can we get back a solid roster player for the re-build process, hopefully a young but somewhat proven d-man that can at least play alongside Gardiner or Rielly. To me, that has nothing whatsoever to do with Matthews, Stamkos or anything else . . . we just need another top 4 d-man with some experience to help us through this re-build. If it's a guy that ends up a part of the core, sure that's a huge bonus - but we really need stability, more than anything.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think they will. Sone young established player. Would like to see shattenkirk in our blue and white.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Also if we end up with pick #4 I wouldn't mind packing up some picks to move from 4 -> 2 or 3.

Of course the team moving down would probably have to be interested in a defenseman but at least we have the assets to do it now if we really wanted to.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Not this season, but I wouldn't be against doing something like this in the 2017 off season

To be honest you can only have so much space in your organisation for prospects. It would be good to try to package them up (even as an overpayment) for a proven, youngish good player.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I fully expect Lou Lam to be looking for JVR for Trouba type trade to find a partner for Rielly and start building from the goalie out. Rielly and Trouba from the same draft class and only a few picks apart making them similar age partners and able to grow together being our version of Keith/Seabrook.

I also expect Lou to go goalie shopping to start working on solidifying that position. Komarov to Washington for top goalie prospect Ilya Samsonov as an example.

Leafs will always be in a position when your draft rebuilding to have the cap room to fit a Stamkos or another such type younger UFA signing to build up the team in addition to drafted players.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
One other thing to consider -- the Leafs have debts to pay with regard to Babcock & Lamourello.

Does anyone know what the rules are on that? Can the Leafs take their own 3rd round pick (presumably very early), and trade it to a team like Chicago (presumably very late), and pick up a couple of 4ths (which the Leafs would keep)?

catgoldfish

Nov 15, 2004
British Columbia
One other thing to consider -- the Leafs have debts to pay with regard to Babcock & Lamourello.

Does anyone know what the rules are on that? Can the Leafs take their own 3rd round pick (presumably very early), and trade it to a team like Chicago (presumably very late), and pick up a couple of 4ths (which the Leafs would keep)?

No. The two 3rd rounders are ones they owe to Detroit (Babcock) and New Jersey (Lamoriello). They have a choice to keep one or both of the 3 rounders or give one or both of the picks away this year and/ or next year. Which gives them full control of the pick. If there's a player they like in the position take him if not give him up this year and keep the pick for next year. I'm glad they got rid of this rule about giving up picks because you sign someone in management who's under contract with another team.

Tigerarmy

Aug 1, 2011

From what i read the Devils and Red Wings have the option with choosing in 2016, 17 or 18 with those 3rds. So the Leafs may not have as many picks this year as is repeatedly talked about

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I fully expect Lou Lam to be looking for JVR for Trouba type trade to find a partner for Rielly and start building from the goalie out. Rielly and Trouba from the same draft class and only a few picks apart making them similar age partners and able to grow together being our version of Keith/Seabrook.

I also expect Lou to go goalie shopping to start working on solidifying that position. Komarov to Washington for top goalie prospect Ilya Samsonov as an example.

Leafs will always be in a position when your draft rebuilding to have the cap room to fit a Stamkos or another such type younger UFA signing to build up the team in addition to drafted players.

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. That's probably my #1 wish list item with all these trades before the deadline . . . can we get back a solid roster player for the re-build process, hopefully a young but somewhat proven d-man that can at least play alongside Gardiner or Rielly. To me, that has nothing whatsoever to do with Matthews, Stamkos or anything else . . . we just need another top 4 d-man with some experience to help us through this re-build. If it's a guy that ends up a part of the core, sure that's a huge bonus - but we really need stability, more than anything.

Personally speaking, not a fan of the Stamkos proposition. He's not that good...I've probably watched like 40+ Lightning games this year now.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

This would be ideal. Addressing the defense is key. We have now lost Robidas (well maybe not really lost), Phaneuf and Polak. That is a big hit from the backend all jokes aside. A solid top 2 D is a must.
A trade similar to last years Kane/Bogosian out of Winnipeg would be great.

Andrew Mack

Mar 20, 2009
Niagara Region, ON
Some of the picks will be traded, no question. I doubt we'll use them to move up in the draft (may still see us move down like last year here or there) but packaged for prospects or young players, absolutely. Think Marincin. May not have turned out but still loads of opportunity for similar deals.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
As much as Hawks fans hate the idea, I see something like JvR for their 2016 1st, Pokka and Bickell as the basis for a trade.

Pokka looking like a middle pairing RHD.

-------------------------------

I do like the idea of Trouba though as well...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $950.00