Will Kyle Connor be ready for the 2016-2017 NHL season? - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Connor's advisor? Any hints on his plans with the Jets?

Well, he told me that some guy who claims to know something about advanced stats from Vacouver wont stop calling their home and he keeps telling them that Kyle is ready for the NHL. I told him that the guy is not legit as he post on HF Boards Jets :sarcasm: :D

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
The Hobey is supposed to be more than just a hockey trophy. they wnat to give it to someone who has high charactor, shines a positive light on college hockey blah blah blah...Seeing how Vessey came back for his SR year to graduate, its not a surprise

OK makes more sense now. Still a little disappointed for Kyle.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The Hobey is supposed to be more than just a hockey trophy. they wnat to give it to someone who has high charactor, shines a positive light on college hockey blah blah blah...Seeing how Vessey came back for his SR year to graduate, its not a surprise

BS. They just lose credibilty by handing it out to the wrong player for the wrong reasons. Its their award. They can cheapen it all they like. :laugh: Probably saved the Jets some money.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Would you give up 1M$ to try for a Hobey Baker with a ****** team? Anyway I'm not sure I want old man Red trying to teach this kid how to play pro hockey.

It isn't only a $ million. It is one year out of his pro career that he can't get back. It will cost him approximately whatever he makes in his last year or his average year. His ELC years will be paid the same regardless of which year they start so it is one of his later, higher paid years he will lose.

There is also the risk of career altering injury. More immediate effect is simply waiting for the big money to start rolling in. Staying in school would be .... monumentally foolish.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Would you give up 1M$ to try for a Hobey Baker with a ****** team? Anyway I'm not sure I want old man Red trying to teach this kid how to play pro hockey.

It's one of those tricky equations figuring out how much a player is "giving up" by spending an extra season in college. If the player spends most of the season in the AHL then they're not going to earn anything near $1m for that season. If spending an extra year in college comes somewhere close to spending a season in the AHL in terms of player development then they're going to be more likely to be on the NHL roster the following season in either scenario.

The difference would be in when the player's ELC expires and they sign their next contract. I think we've seen examples of players on both sides of that equation--players that benefited from an ELC expiring a year earlier and players that benefited from the ELC expiring a year later.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I'm not convinced all athlete's are driven solely by $$$$. It's easy to say the decision is black and white but there are many shades In between. Many of these guys choose another year of college, like Vesey and Poolman

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not convinced all athlete's are driven solely by $$$$. It's easy to say the decision is black and white but there are many shades In between. Many of these guys choose another year of college, like Vesey and Poolman

I hope none is driven solely by $$$. But it is not a simple matter of delaying the big payday by a year. Pro athlete's careers are age limited. The age varies from player to player but any given player's career is likely to end at the same age regardless of when it starts. That is unprovable but likely.

As Mouser points out if it is going to be a development year either way it makes little difference. But for players who are ready for the NHL the difference is quite substantial.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I hope none is driven solely by $$$. But it is not a simple matter of delaying the big payday by a year. Pro athlete's careers are age limited. The age varies from player to player but any given player's career is likely to end at the same age regardless of when it starts. That is unprovable but likely.

As Mouser points out if it is going to be a development year either way it makes little difference. But for players who are ready for the NHL the difference is quite substantial.

Hey Mort I hear you and I understand perfectly what you are saying. You don't need to repeat it. If it was me I would sign yesterday.

Just because you and I would doesn't mean everyone would do it the same way. We have no way to know for sure what Connor is thinking. There have been a few NHL'ers and former NHL'ers tweeting lately telling guys they wished they had stayed in college longer.

I still think he's at Jets training camp next september BTW. I'm not suggesting anything else is probable, only that it's a possibility.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
He will be on the Jets' roster next year.

I don't understand why anyone would think otherwise. Connor would be at an entirely different level than all other players in the NCAA. He has nothing to prove, unless he wants to shatter every single existing college hockey record. A move to the pros for 2016-17 is only logical. He's ready for the big leagues.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Just want to post this here then I'll leave Jets fans.

Connor got ****ing robbed for the Hobey Baker. You guys got a steal at #17.

Runforthecup

Sponsor
Nov 10, 2013
Calgary, CW Bay
Just want to post this here then I'll leave Jets fans.

Connor got ****ing robbed for the Hobey Baker. You guys got a steal at #17.

Yes he was robbed. However from a Jets standpoint it can only make him work harder to prove himself. I think we have a good group of young players (#55 in particular) that will show good leadership in terms of work ethic, going forward.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Now that the Hobey Baker ceremony is over, I would expect we'll know Connor's plans fairly soon.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Now that the Hobey Baker ceremony is over, I would expect we'll know Connor's plans fairly soon.

Why is that? We won't know until he signs or something gets leaked (which is usually only shortly before he's signed if at all) I suppose he could just announce that he will return to Michigan but that's not what I'm expecting him to do.

Kismet

Apr 29, 2010
Winnipeg
As far as his own decision on whether to return or go pro, Connor said he and his family will be working on that over the next few days.

“Still undecided,†Connor said. “Sit down with my family, the next couple days here, and we’ll come to a decision.

“I think it’s just whether it’s right for me, best for my development…we’ll talk about everything. It’s a family decision.â€

http://mihockeynow.com/2016/04/kyle...hobey-baker-upcoming-decision-on-next-season/

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Sounds like we may know by Monday. I wonder whats best for his development nothing else to prove in NCAA, that comment tells me the next step is whats best and thats the NHL.

Development and proving ones self are not the same thing.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Development and proving ones self are not the same thing.

But hes got nothing left to prove or gain in MICH other than trying to win a national championship, his comment says whats best for his development, doesnt say anything about wanting to go back and win. Plus, He will best develop in the NHL where he belongs. People will say the NHL is not a developmental league, but hes ready, and his game will get better much like Ehlers game this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce