will Johnny Gaudreau stay?

Trae

Calgary
Is it just me, or is the difference here less stark than you'd expect?

1003145_10151706246233704_1172781214_n.jpg

This was also taken a year ago, and he's grown since then

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Feaster and co. should invest into neuroscience and transfer Gaudreau's brain into Kanzig's body.
tears

But in all honesty, I understand where he's coming from. Gaudreau is likely a little OCD about finishing his commitments, and wants to get a four year degree so he can tell himself he stuck with it and accomplished something big in addition to playing pro hockey.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
tears

But in all honesty, I understand where he's coming from. Gaudreau is likely a little OCD about finishing his commitments, and wants to get a four year degree so he can tell himself he stuck with it and accomplished something big in addition to playing pro hockey.

It doesn't look like he's committed to all four years anymore, though. He sees himself stepping in at the end of this year (his third).

Also, who is that, Breen?

Yes.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
It doesn't look like he's committed to all four years anymore, though. He sees himself stepping in at the end of this year (his third).

Well, he's only been saying that recently, as opposed to a few years of him telling everyone that he's doing all four years at Boston. If he is deciding to stop after three, it's probably to put Flames fans' fears at rest.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Well, he's only been saying that recently, as opposed to a few years of him telling everyone that he's doing all four years at Boston. If he is deciding to stop after three, it's probably to put Flames fans' fears at rest.

Or because it took him until development to realize just how much he'd turned the corner, and how close he was to being ready for the big time.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

He wanted to develop his game, and he probably thinks he's fairly well developed as of right now. He probably knows the only thing that's preventing him from starting the career of his dreams is his weight. Maybe that's why he's considering leaving college a year short. Plus college isn't as fun when you're degree is more focused.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He wanted to develop his game, and he probably thinks he's fairly well developed as of right now. He probably knows the only thing that's preventing him from starting the career of his dreams is his weight. Maybe that's why he's considering leaving college a year short. Plus college isn't as fun when your degree is more focused.

Speak for yourself! How focused does an athlete's degree get, anyway? :sarcasm:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Speak for yourself! How focused does an athlete's degree get, anyway? :sarcasm:

:laugh:

True dat. Muscle Flexing 101 is probably not academically tiring.

But you know in the 1st and 2nd year the intro level stuff is broad and novel. Take a Pysch course, Stats, English and whatever else you're getting into. Besides being in bigger, curved-classes its really easy and basic stuff. I was in health sciences so that stuff was far more relaxed than genetics, evolution and physiology.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
:laugh:

True dat. Muscle Flexing 101 is probably not academically tiring.

But you know in the 1st and 2nd year the intro level stuff is broad and novel. Take a Pysch course, Stats, English and whatever else you're getting into. Besides being in bigger, curved-classes its really easy and basic stuff. I was in health sciences so that stuff was far more relaxed than genetics, evolution and physiology.

In my experience, the first two years were for weeding out the stragglers. You were put through unreasonably difficult requisite courses in fields barely related to your major. In third year on, you got to focus on the stuff you were in school for in the first place. For me, my grades were highest in my last two years. Don't know about Johnny G, though. Apparently he's a communications major.

I just think that last year there was significantly more doubt about whether he would be able to make it to the NHL, and thus getting a degree was a much more attractive option. While there are still some obstacles in his way, I think that he's now shown us enough to say that yes, he's going to be an NHL player in some capacity, perhaps as early as this year, and that has probably taken the primary appeal away from college and getting a degree.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
There must be a certain attractiveness which goes along with a signing bonus and at least a half-million dollar contract.

That money won't last him the rest of his life. What if he busts and ends up with only 3 years of college and a failed NHL career? What choice will he have then? Plus he is only what, 5'8 and 150 lbs? Not exactly ideal height and weight to be playing in the NHL no matter your skill level. If I was in his position, I'd absolutely be waiting to get my degree before playing for the Flames and trying to get bigger in the process.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
That money won't last him the rest of his life. What if he busts and ends up with only 3 years of college and a failed NHL career? What choice will he have then? Plus he is only what, 5'8 and 150 lbs? Not exactly ideal height and weight to be playing in the NHL no matter your skill level. If I was in his position, I'd absolutely be waiting to get my degree before playing for the Flames and trying to get bigger in the process.

If he's only got one year left, though, the cost would easily be covered by his pro contract (even if he only played a few games) should he choose to go back and finish it.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

It would be exactly the same risk that all CHL players take, so I don't see how it's really the end of the world. The fact is, most players looking to make the NHL don't get a college degree. Is he in any worse a position than, say, Greg Nemisz?

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Here's a picture of Johnny helping out at Bob Hartley's hockey camp today. I don't see why he would be doing this if he didn't like the organization and was trying to leave.

BPelO2vCIAAuY3E.jpg:large

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Here's a picture of Johnny helping out at Bob Hartley's hockey camp today. I don't see why he would be doing this if he didn't like the organization and was trying to leave.

BPelO2vCIAAuY3E.jpg:large

I was going to resist mentioning it, but... those guys look the same age. :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Smoke and mirrors. Hes Boston bound :sarcasm:
The Boston talk always makes me laugh, maybe the Bruins like the idea of getting a BC or BU to join their team but people seem to forget that these players are not from their University Cities more often than not and by extension didn't grown up as a fan of the NHL team in that area. Gaudreau grew up in Jersey as a Flyers fan.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The Boston talk always makes me laugh, maybe the Bruins like the idea of getting a BC or BU to join their team but people seem to forget that these players are not from their University Cities more often than not and by extension didn't grown up as a fan of the NHL team in that area. Gaudreau grew up in Jersey as a Flyers fan.

Ah, the cardinal sin.

Poor kid.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
I think he stays. He has the option to stay in college another 2 years although he hinted he wants to turn pro next year. The development camp helped I believe because we finally had some players/skill he can see himself playing and developing with (Monahan, Beartchi, Horak, Gilles etc).

StanJonathan*

Boston gave his brother a scholorship (obviously to get Gudreau to stay 1 more year as apparently his brother is no where near the skill he is). When he was interviewed about play this year with his brother his face lit up with excitement so between that and his degree I cant blame him for wanting to stay. The kid has been treated like a VIP in Calgary and is months away from finsihing with Boston and playing the last few games of the season with the flames an organization that has wide open spots for him. Hes going nowhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad