will Johnny Gaudreau stay?

Flamester

Aug 9, 2011
calgary
dont want him to pull a justin schultz on us. it truly pissed me off that he choose to return to college, when he seems NHL ready. i really hope he stay commited to the flames organization, but if he does leave what would we get in return??

Aug 3, 2010
dont want him to pull a justin schultz on us. it truly pissed me off that he choose to return to college, when he seems NHL ready. i really hope he stay commited to the flames organization, but if he does leave what would we get in return??
If all fans like you want to do is doubt the kid's dedication when he has expressed the desire to stay, I have to say I couldn't fault him for wanting to leave. :shakehead

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
From the Prospects thread:

"I’m strictly going back to school to improve my game, not to wait out the years to try and sign with someone else."

-Johnny Gaudreau

furthermore: "I really enjoy it here, and hopefully I get the chance to play here someday."

i know it's nothing unti they actually sign, but johnny seems like an honest and straight forward kid. He really just needs to bulk up. He'll have his contract ready as soon as he's done college

Johnny Gaudreau would ideally like to play in the NHL next season:

"I’m just playing it by ear right now," said Gaudreau, confirming no future plans are set beyond playing this year at Boston College. He says if all goes well, he'd like to be able to join the Flames by the end of the season.

"Hopefully they want me next year at the end of the year and hopefully I can come in and make an impact for them.," says Gaudreau. "If I play well this year and put on the right weight, I think I might be able to do it."

http://FlamesFrom80Feet.ca

Would be similar to Hanowski's situation this past season. Flames management loves doing these 2-3 game appearances at the end of the season to give the kids a taste of what the NHL is like. Gotta imagine it was huge for guys like Baertschi, Reinhart, Hanowski, etc. I'll be looking forward to this possibly happening.

:nod:

shammy

Sep 29, 2004
Newfoundland, Canada
I think he knows he has a good chance of getting a lot of ice time with the Flames.. Can't knock a guy for wanting to have an education to fall back on if things didn't work out in the NHL...

First round bust

May 21, 2013
Calgary
Not sure how anyone can be pissed about a kid wanting to return to college. He has multiple times now stated he wants to be in this organization, and it shows as he has to pay to come to development camp himself. If he didn't want to be here he wouldn't do that, he also made a comment saying at the end of this season he hopes the flames would pick him up to finish there year. All in all I'm pretty sure he's staying.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
He is not even close to NHL ready. He needs at least 1 year in the AHL to adjust and still needs to put on more weight. I honesty doubt we see him in the NHL for at least another 2 or 3 years.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

Regarding the bold. Not a ****ing chance. He is nowhere near NHL ready. He needs more time to develop his game, and fill out. As for you being pissed off that he chose to continue playing in college so that he can properly develop himself rather than rush into the NHL and turn into another bust... how dare he. What a selfish *******.

Gaudreau's game is not NHL ready. He's at least 2 to 3 years away.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I disagree. His game is ready. Physically he isn't. If he can bulk up and put on ten pounds of muscle..

IF he put on 10-20 pounds, I think he COULD play in the NHL (However, I don't think he's ready for top 6 minutes, and he'd be wasted in the bottom 6), I just think it's better for him to get another year in college, rather than take the risk of rushing him in.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Maybe he needs one more year living the college life before he has to get serious and start his career. These are young guys who know what kind of scrutiny players like Seguin, Carter, and Kane got when they try to enjoy their personal life during crunch time.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
In a radio interview last winter, he expressed a desire to play four years in college (supported by his family), and went on to mention that the Flames organization was also very supportive of that and told him that he would have a contract waiting for him when he finished.

I'm not worried.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
In a radio interview last winter, he expressed a desire to play four years in college (supported by his family), and went on to mention that the Flames organization was also very supportive of that and told him that he would have a contract waiting for him when he finished.

I'm not worried.

I actually really like the fact that he wants to, and is willing to commit to those 4 years.

Trae

Calgary
After this years development camp it seems that his biggest reasoning is to play a little bit with his brother, even if its just one season, cause they're really close. The other would be to add weight, its nice to see a prospect recognize that he needs more time, often times those kids just want to get to the show as soon as possible and are so eager and excited while being encouraged by their club that they are rushed. Gaudreau has stated that if he is strong enough, he could turn pro as soon as this season is done.

I could see it shaking down something like this:

2013/14: NCAA 3rd year + a few games with the Flames at the end of the year
2014/15: AHL + occasional call ups to play with the Flames
2015/16: NHL full time after already playing roughly 20 NHL games and nearly a full season in the AHL

Or

2013/14: NCAA 3rd year
2014/15: NCAA 4th year + a few games with the Flames at the end of the year
2015/16: NHL full time, though may need some time in the AHL

However in both these scenarios it could be altered. In the first scenario, maybe he doesn't need time in the AHL and jumps straight into the NHL, and in the second scenario, perhaps even after 4 years or college, he still needs a season in the AHL. I personally hope he turns pro after this season as I don't think he'll have a whole lot to prove in college anymore and if its weight/strength he's worried about he can continue to bulk up in the AHL while getting accustomed to a harder playing schedule. That being said if he stays for education, gotta respect that.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I actually really like the fact that he wants to, and is willing to commit to those 4 years.

I think, coming in to camp, and seeing how his game compares to those many consider ready to play in the NHL and for all intents and purposes being the best offensive player at camp, I think its leading him to reconsider 4 years of school. A million $ can be pretty enticing, especially should he not be really enjoying his courses and whatnot. And if he feels himself ready, the potential to hit all those ELC bonuses could be pretty enticing as well.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

I'm not worried.

And right now, it appears that he's willing to forego that 4th year if he gets the call late this season. We might see Agostino and Gaudreau in the Flaming C by the end of this season, and that is cause for excitement.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Honestly, I don't see why Johnny shouldn't finish college first before turning pro. He has huge boom/bust potential and if he doesn't make it at least he will have a degree and will be able to pursue a career elsewhere.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Honestly, I don't see why Johnny shouldn't finish college first before turning pro. He has huge boom/bust potential and if he doesn't make it at least he will have a degree and will be able to pursue a career elsewhere.

There must be a certain attractiveness which goes along with a signing bonus and at least a half-million dollar contract.

TylerSVT*

There must be a certain attractiveness which goes along with a signing bonus and at least a half-million dollar contract.

This.

He could make 10 years worth of salary (average joe) in one season if he sticks to the NHL.

Thats of course... if he sticks, which i think would be why he chooses NCAA.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
IF he put on 10-20 pounds, I think he COULD play in the NHL (However, I don't think he's ready for top 6 minutes, and he'd be wasted in the bottom 6), I just think it's better for him to get another year in college, rather than take the risk of rushing him in.

Do I think he should be playing now? No. But he does have the skill, just not the body to go with it. I agree that another year in college will help a lot assuming he works out religiously.

That being said, I'm not saying he will jump straight into the NHL. I'm just saying that my impressions after the camp are that Johhny isn't that far behind Sven in many ways, just predominately physically. And since everyone and their mother is writing Sven in for a top six role (myself included) I don't see why Johnny in a year won't be ready for the same if he bulks up.

Aug 3, 2010
Feaster and co. should invest into neuroscience and transfer Gaudreau's brain into Kanzig's body.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Feaster and co. should invest into neuroscience and transfer Gaudreau's brain into Kanzig's body.

And create... the Anton.

Kanzig looks like he's got a good head on his shoulders as is, all kidding aside. The fact that he's able to identify areas he needs improvement and go ahead and improve them is huge, in my opinion.

Aug 3, 2010
And create... the Anton.
vader.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad