Votes: 44 32.6%
  • Yes and they will win the cup

Votes: 9 6.7%

• Total voters

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
By December you usually know who a team is. There's seldom flukes or streaks that last so long. By all rights Vegas shouldn't be anywhere close to where they are now, but here we are.

The odds favor them making the playoffs, even if we're all expecting them to suddenly start looking like an expansion team.

Reactions: DRC and Pi

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
They would have to really fall off to blow it at this point.

They aren't this good, but that doesn't mean they don't get the points for the wins.

Reactions: derriko

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm still going no. But they've banked enough points where they can withstand some level of drop off, so they've got a shot.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
It honestly depends on how management approaches it. Do they sell off their top assets for futures to build a team or do they feel like they are good enough going forward into playoffs/next year

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Their road record is closer to .500 than anything and they rode a huge home win streak riding emotions at the start of the season. I expect things will continue to normalize as the year goes on.

If they make it into the playoffs it will be as a very low seed.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
If they win enough games they will.

I'm happy for the wins, but mostly I just want us to be competitive in the games we play... any wins are just a bonus.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I figured they’d have fallen off already. They’ve got a pretty nice cushion, I think they’ll probably make it.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
They will. Vegas is a trap for hockey players, who are notorious party hard types.
Meanhile VGK players are at home relaxing and winding down.
I have no doubt they should be able to clinch.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Yeah, but I think they lose in the first round in seven games. But if they did make it next round they'll most likely get swept.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
At this point i think it depends heavily on how well the other teams in the West are playing after christmas. If they get pounded by the Ducks, Oilers, Flames, Ducks, Hawks, Wild etc. playing their best hockey every other night and at the same time Vegas regress, they could fall, but that being said, they're in a fine position right now and aren't winning games in flukey fashion.

Playoff race in the West could be fierce this season.. So many capable teams are either outside looking in or in just by a few points and almost no one is able to gain notable ground (and Preds and Blues both lost to Vegas so they will be looking for revenge). It makes for tough nights every game, which is going to make bouncing back from a few losses very tough. I think the East will be different in a sense that the teams competing will be pretty clear at some point, where as in the West only 2-3 teams will probably be out of it early (personally think Arizona, Vancouver and Colorado can't keep up).

Then there's the spoiler teams. Getting it done against the weaker teams in the East will be crucial, but that's where your quality of roster comes into play and on paper Vegas isn't really that much better than teams like Florida, Detroit, Buffalo etc. So if you're not playing well and losing confidence, it's possible to lose these games especially when you're supposed to win. Heck, it happens to better teams than Vegas every year.

So the makings of a freefall are there, but Vegas holds their own destiny which is great for them. Odds right now are in their favor.

I voted for them to win the cup just so i can say i knew it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad