Will Feaster screw up the deadline?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Except number 4, how does any of that make someone less or more of a fan?
That wasn't exactly one of those answers in the form of a question, rather it was basically the same question as my own.

Remember, I too am trying to figure this out ;)

Devilspuppet666

Dec 25, 2010
Calgary
The thing with feaster is hes Such a smart guy, and personally i think he'd be a great president over King... but we need a guy that knows the league, players in it, and has an eye for skill... Weisbrod would be great with conroy staying as his assistant

OMA

Mar 11, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The thing with feaster is hes Such a smart guy, and personally i think he'd be a great president over King... but we need a guy that knows the league, players in it, and has an eye for skill... Weisbrod would be great with conroy staying as his assistant

This isn't a shot at you, but this narrative that Feaster is a one-man show when it comes to player acquisitions (like Sutter was) is getting old. For the past two years, Feaster must have stated a dozen times that he leans on Weisbrod and Goulet for their opinions on how to build a club and specific player acquisitions (as an aside, it does make me wonder why they just wouldn't do what you're saying and promote Feaster to president and Weisbrod to GM.... but that's another convo altogether). There's a great interview floating with Weisbrod about how the Bruins teams were put together and how he believes that Hockey IQ is the great differentiator at the end of the day.

This really is a management by committee scenario right now which makes me feel better that we won't have another Phaneuf scenario (I'm thankful for what Sutter did... but he screwed that up terribly).

I don't agree whatsoever with the mandate that Calgary has taken over the last two years when it has come to staying pat (or even trying to be buyers) but i think that has a lot more to do with Edwards/King's demands than it does Feaster's judgement/ego as a 'hockey guy'.

Sorry - as you can that whole line of thinking has been bothering me for awhile

As for the deadline itself, I don't think they can mess up on the actual values they get back for their assets. I think it comes down to the organizational decision to sell in this market and recoup assets and start over since its clear that this team isn't going anywhere. That's on ownership and King though more than it is on Feaster.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
So let me get this straight in my head because I'm having difficulty with this.

1) You think our GM sucks and can't even handle some simple asset sales
2) You think our roster sucks and needs a complete overhaul
3) You think our coaching staff sucks and requires Brent Sutter to step in
4) You'd much rather see the Calgary Flames lose games than win

And you claim to be a Flames fan? Which part are you a fan of exactly?

I agree with statements 1 and 2. Guess I'm only half "not a fan." Honestly, everyone has an opinion. There is good evidence to support a number of those opinions. I'm tired of watching the oldest team in the league that is maxed out on the cap finish out of the playoffs.

TylerSVT*

So let me get this straight in my head because I'm having difficulty with this.

1) You think our GM sucks and can't even handle some simple asset sales he almost botched the ROR offer sheet, he hasn't shown the best abilities as a GM to put on a proper team (going into a season with 2 centers, and your top center being a converted 32 year old winger...) Feaster has not shown me anything that gives me confidence in his abilities as a GM, he seems all talk and little action
2) You think our roster sucks and needs a complete overhaul Who doesnt? This team has been brutal for a few years, 4 years without the playoffs is horrible, no young guys coming into the pipes. This team has been horribly run since 09
3) You think our coaching staff sucks and requires Brent Sutter to step in I dont remember ever saying that? Brent Sutter gave us games that are conducive to winning. Hartley has more flair in his game (see Bouwmeester improving). The problems are the roster, not the coach.
4) You'd much rather see the Calgary Flames lose games than win Right now? Yes, might as well, we are already a bottom 8 team. Might as well get the best pick possible in a strong draft, especially during a short season.

And you claim to be a Flames fan? Which part are you a fan of exactly?
This part annoys me, apparently the only way to be a fan is to cheer this team on regardless if they suck or not. If the team went 0-82, would you still cheer them on? or would saying they suck suddenly not make you a fan as well? I love the Flames, i just dont like this iteration of it.

See Bolded

Gary83*

I think it would be hilarious if Feaster screwed up only to see the epic meltdown TylerSVT would have.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I'm a little concerned Feaster is so wrapped up in the Jarome Iginla trade, he isn't looking into other trade possibilities with other teams/players.

I guess guys like Cammy, Gio, Stemp, can be dealt at the draft too.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
He's already screwing it up if it's true he's asking Subban and Bernier.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Feaster won't screw up the deadline, the Owners will by not allowing him to rebuild as we need to.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
1. Fire Feaster is a different thread. This is "will Feaster screw up at the deadline?"
2. I still don't have a clue what you are trying to say.

Your right I am sorry, you said he screwed up by not signing Iginla but Iginla could just as easily not wanted to re-sign how can it be Feaster's fault. That is like saying Feaster has screwed up the deadline by not trading for Crosby even if it wasn't possible.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Maybe he tried to but couldn't. Can't extend someone who doesn't want to sign.

True. None of us really know what went on so it's all just speculation. But I would think that we all agree that the Flames have not benefitted from the distraction that this has caused.

Last July 1 Feaster opened the vaults for Wideman and Hudler. Two guys that had not ever played a single shift the Flames. How about paying the greatest player in franchise history? Nope.

It would have been much easier to extend Iginla in the old CBA. It was pretty much known that those "retirement contracts" would be outlawed in the new deal. It was the last chance for a cap circumventing contract and Iginla/Meehan would have had to have had rocks in their head to turn that down.

And if there was no way Iginla would sign then you trade him in the summer. The whole last month has been the "what is gonna happen with Jarome" show. And before the season started you could see that coming from a mile away.

Now Feaster seems to have 2 options. First, trade him for far less than he is worth. Second, don't trade him and risk losing him for nothing. Both options are asset management at its worst.

Feaster is in the worst position he could possibly be in a week before the deadline. And it is because he waited until now to deal with something that should have been taken care of in the summer.

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
True. None of us really know what went on so it's all just speculation. But I would think that we all agree that the Flames have not benefitted from the distraction that this has caused.

Last July 1 Feaster opened the vaults for Wideman and Hudler. Two guys that had not ever played a single shift the Flames. How about paying the greatest player in franchise history? Nope.

It would have been much easier to extend Iginla in the old CBA. It was pretty much known that those "retirement contracts" would be outlawed in the new deal. It was the last chance for a cap circumventing contract and Iginla/Meehan would have had to have had rocks in their head to turn that down.

And if there was no way Iginla would sign then you trade him in the summer. The whole last month has been the "what is gonna happen with Jarome" show. And before the season started you could see that coming from a mile away.

Now Feaster seems to have 2 options. First, trade him for far less than he is worth. Second, don't trade him and risk losing him for nothing. Both options are asset management at its worst.

Feaster is in the worst position he could possibly be in a week before the deadline. And it is because he waited until now to deal with something that should have been taken care of in the summer.

You assume Feaster had the authority to trade Iginla unilaterally. That simply isn't the case.

It's quite possible the Flames approached Iginla back in May or June to re-sign and did indeed offer him a retirement contract, which Iginla summarily refused because he wasn't convinced the Flames could ice a winner. For Iginla winning isn't the only important thing, it's winning while still being a key contributor that matters the most.

So the owners, who believe the only reason the Flames sell out is because of Iginla, think, 'okay we'll sign some free agents and get a new coach. That'll show Iginla we're not afraid of spending money to ice a winner. And we won't trade any veterans for picks or prospects to show Iginla we're not going to be rebuilding.' Insert Feaster, who promises the world, and with his usual bluster, loudly proclaims that the Flames roster he built can most definitely and assuredly compete for a playoff spot. But of course, it doesn't work out and Iginla makes it clear he isn't interested in re-signing. Moreover, he'd like to be moved at the deadline to a contender.

Of course, that's just speculation. But given what we do know about Feaster's role, if you want to blame someone for the current mess of a situation, put it on the owners, who've shown they're very, very, hesitant to be proactive and risk their business model.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad