Will Chris Neil have his number retired?

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I think Ken Daneyko would be a good comparable of a non skill player with their number retired. But he won 3 cups.
I don't think there's any chance neil gets his retired.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The way I see, Alfies number shouldnt be retired. So definitely not Neils.

We dont want to be the Habs, retiring good to excellent players. Only the greats should be retired. Karlsson if he stay here as an example. Guy has already cemented himself as an all-time great D man by winning 2 Norris trophies.

I would have NO issue doing what the Leafs do and honouring numbers. Neil, Alfie, and Phillips should all have that done.
Alfredsson is the type of player you retire their number. He is the standard in which you want a player to affect your team and community. He is not comparable to some of the greats in Montreal and Toronto but he is our best player to date. I don't think he should be in the HHOF but for in Ottawa having his number retired for a modern day Senators is the right start.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
yes it will happen. we have almost no retired numbers (8 and 11 soon) Neil and Phillips will both get their numbers retired because of how long they have been hear and the fact we don't have many numbers retired. we have numbers to spare.

I agree, although honouring the guys works for me too. They have both been a huge part of this team over the last decade whether you like them or not.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
No was my vote; however I vote No to retiring all numbers. I prefer to see the team honour past players by hanging their pictures in uniform from the rafters for players who made great contributions to the team. That would include Alfredson, Spezza, Neil and Phillips, plus others, after they have retired from hockey. Creation of a special Ottawa Senators hall of fame would be a great addition to the new building.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Our franchise needs to, you know, win some stuff so it's actually worth talking about retiring numbers. Would the Habs retire Chris Nilan's number? Leafs Tie Domi? Not perfect comparisons but both guys who put in pretty much a decade for their team, popular tough guys.

He's a long term guy who has done his best for us. No small contribution. But we have to sit back and be patient - no need to throw out false honours.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
They should absolutely retire his number, he has a specialized job and does it better than most people in the league.

The man has literally been punched in the face hundreds of time for this team. I know some people dont hold that in high regard but there arent a lot of people who are willing to drop the gloves and fight.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
They should absolutely retire his number, he has a specialized job and does it better than most people in the league.

The man has literally been punched in the face hundreds of time for this team. I know some people dont hold that in high regard but there arent a lot of people who are willing to drop the gloves and fight

How many enforcers have their numbered retired in the NHL, though?

I can't think of a single one.

Maybe Yvon Labre is the closest guy, but he was a defensive defenceman who didn't really make a living by fighting, and had his are handed to him most of the time when he did. Terry O'Reilly would fight, but he also put up 606pts in 891 games, he was more than just a puncher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad