Will Chris Neil have his number retired?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Uh why? He was a solid third liner for a bit and fought.

If he does he will have to be the worst player to ever get their number retired. If his number is retired then I better see spezzas 19 retired as well.
Phillips number shouldn't be retired.

I'm only now coming around on alfies number being retired.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
No.

If the Sens were to create a "Ring of Honour" for players based on longetivity, community work, etc. then he should go up there.

As the franchise gets older, that's would be a good idea.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Should he? Probably not but i dont feel very strongly on it. He most definitely will though. Did the leafs retire Domi's number?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The Senators should do a hall of fame thing, where they can honor significant players without retiring their number.

Alfredsson should be the "first" (Yes I know about #8) to get his number retired.

HOF would be good to recognize guys like Neil and Phillips, and maybe even Spezza, Chara, Hossa, (should be Heatley but it won't happen), and Redden who were big stars that were developed and/or spent significant time with the time.

Neil was never a superstar, but to spend your entire career with a single team and play 1000 (maybe) games is a huge accomplishment.

I wouldn't be against them retiring Neil and Phillips numbers, but if it were my choice, I would only retire Alfredsson while honoring Neil and Phillips in a different way.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Honor the number, do something else. Don't retire the #25 from your team over Chris Neil.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
He should if he hits 100 games, but it won't happen.

There should be a two tier system though (retired and ring of honour), and the biggest reason to consider retire 25 instead of honouring would be longevity.

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
yes it will happen. we have almost no retired numbers (8 and 11 soon) Neil and Phillips will both get their numbers retired because of how long they have been hear and the fact we don't have many numbers retired. we have numbers to spare.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
The only place you will see Chris Neil's number hanging from the ceiling is "the Central Bierhaus"!

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Number retirements should be reserved only for the truly exceptional.

Basically anyone who makes the Hall, and I doubt many outside of that criteria.

So at this point, Alfie, and probably Karlsson. Nobody else.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Number retirements should be reserved only for the truly exceptional.

Basically anyone who makes the Hall, and I doubt many outside of that criteria.

So at this point, Alfie, and probably Karlsson. Nobody else.

This.

It does not mean you can't have a plaque or something recognizing his work and contributions, but retired numbers need to be special. I think it's the same for statues.

Look at the Habs, they were pretty selective on retiring numbers and have only 14 retired despite dynasties. Seems like the right way to go.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
The way I see, Alfies number shouldnt be retired. So definitely not Neils.

We dont want to be the Habs, retiring good to excellent players. Only the greats should be retired. Karlsson if he stay here as an example. Guy has already cemented himself as an all-time great D man by winning 2 Norris trophies.

I would have NO issue doing what the Leafs do and honouring numbers. Neil, Alfie, and Phillips should all have that done.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Yeah, agreed on the honouring, no on the retiring.
I'd think to retire a number, the player should at a minimum have a shot at making hall of fame.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
The way I see, Alfies number shouldnt be retired. So definitely not Neils.

We dont want to be the Habs, retiring good to excellent players. Only the greats should be retired. Karlsson if he stay here as an example. Guy has already cemented himself as an all-time great D man by winning 2 Norris trophies.

I would have NO issue doing what the Leafs do and honouring numbers. Neil, Alfie, and Phillips should all have that done.

Havs retired "good to great" players? Only one I see is Gainey... And he is still a HHOFer. And all their retired guys helped them win a bunch of Cups.

The Habs are not a team that should be criticized for who they retired. They are 100 years old and by far the greatest franchise in the NHL. Of course they retired a bunch of numbers.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I think they should "honour" the number. And Phillips as well. They shouldn't officially "retire" the numbers. But there is no need for any other players to use those numbers for a long time. Unless we get a star player that have always worn that number. No need to hit training camp in 2017 and have some rookie wear #25.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
God I hope not, but then again this team is a **** show.

I would be perfectly fine if some kid wanted to wear that number as soon as neil leaves.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Havs retired "good to great" players? Only one I see is Gainey... And he is still a HHOFer. And all their retired guys helped them win a bunch of Cups.

The Habs are not a team that should be criticized for who they retired. They are 100 years old and by far the greatest franchise in the NHL. Of course they retired a bunch of numbers.

I agree, I mean damn. They retired 14 numbers for 24 cups. That's a pretty good deal.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I agree, I mean damn. They retired 14 numbers for 24 cups. That's a pretty good deal.

They have so many HHOFers who played much of their career (or all of it) on the Habs whose numbers aren't retired. Lemaire, Shutt, Tom Johnson.... Many more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad