Will Canada get a nice team at this year's WHC?

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Given roughly 75 % of the Canadian NHL-ers normally are allowed to go, unless I'm very mistaken? They should get a (ahem) somewhat better team than the one who couldn't beat a Germany who themselves needed a shoot-out to beat Norway a few days earlier...:naughty:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
well, i think its safe to say that rangers, dead wings cleary, oilers, montreal, canucks, ottawa, arizona and buffalo will not make the playoffs.

Players from those 8 teams can give you:

O'Reilly - McDavid - Stone
Nash - RNH - Mantha
Drouin - Athanasiou - Gallagher
Khaira - Horvat - Pageau

Staal - Green
Nurse - Tanev
Chabot - Chychrun

Random goalies.

Enough to win gold? For sure.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Given roughly 75 % of the Canadian NHL-ers normally are allowed to go, unless I'm very mistaken? They should get a (ahem) somewhat better team than the one who couldn't beat a Germany who themselves needed a shoot-out to beat Norway a few days earlier...:naughty:[/QUOTES

Sometimes only 4 teams are left in the playoffs by the deadline for player additions.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
well, i think its safe to say that rangers, dead wings cleary, oilers, montreal, canucks, ottawa, arizona and buffalo will not make the playoffs.

Nash - RNH - Mantha
Khaira - Horvat - Pageau

Staal - Green
Nurse - Tanev
Chabot - Chychrun

Random goalies.

absolutely not. a lot of those players are either RFAs or UFAs.

check out WC Team Canada Roster thread.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/team-canada-roster.2432913/page-2

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I'm just not a fan. He's a marginal B player who's probably having a peak year and won't be useful in the future. If there is a choice I would rather go with younger players. He isn't a guy that I would complain about though along the lines of Killorn.

yes, all those future hypothetical best on best tournaments we may never see. Until there's a fixed international calendar, the future is here and now. nothing to plan for.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I think we should have a pretty strong team.

I'm almost 100 percent certain that McDavid will accept the invite, he always talks about how honoured he is to represent his country.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think we should have a pretty strong team.

I'm almost 100 percent certain that McDavid will accept the invite, he always talks about how honoured he is to represent his country.

We will see. Most guys talk about being honoured to play for Canada, but plenty turn down the opportunity to play in this tournament. McDavid having already won it and saying that he didn't want to play for the Young Gunz again gives him a lifetime pass from me to not show up. Credit to him if he does though, I think he could dominate this year.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
We will see. Most guys talk about being honoured to play for Canada, but plenty turn down the opportunity to play in this tournament. McDavid having already won it and saying that he didn't want to play for the Young Gunz again gives him a lifetime pass from me to not show up. Credit to him if he does though, I think he could dominate this year.

He was still a teenager last time he went and was very good, dominated in the Gold medal game offensively and especially defensively to close out the win.

Having the best player in the world over there would be a good draw, I'm fairly certain he'll show up and play for his country.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Brendan Gallagher will probably get an invitation. Hockey Canada like him a lot, even considered giving him a try-out at the World Cup two years ago

Aug 25, 2009
éal

Nash - RNH - Mantha
Khaira - Horvat - Pageau

Staal - Green
Nurse - Tanev
Chabot - Chychrun

Random goalies.

There's also a distant chance Price recover in time for the end of the season and go there. Long shot but who knows... he love his country and he havent played a lot this year.

I wonder if Maxim Noreau get an invitation, he did very well at the Olympics I heard.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Wait, I thought the NHL banned players from IIHF events? Or was it just the Olympics, but not the World Championship?

Afaik the biggest issues NHL has were related to player insurances (eg. Tavares injury in 2014) and schedules? Wouldn't the insurance issue be present at the World Championship too?

Vladnyc

Feb 25, 2018
Wait, I thought the NHL banned players from IIHF events? Or was it just the Olympics, but not the World Championship?

Afaik the biggest issues NHL has were related to player insurances (eg. Tavares injury in 2014) and schedules? Wouldn't the insurance issue be present at the World Championship too?

Just the Olympics. There are no issues. They are made up. The NHL is run by :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

The federations pay for the World Championship insurance bill if I recall correctly, and that tournament is specifically included in the collective bargaining agreement. For now the NHL cannot stop anyone from going once their team is eliminated from the playoffs. The insurance issue was convenient for the NHL, but the IIHF called its bluff and offered to pay. The NHL still didn't go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad