Will Canada get a nice team at this year's WHC?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
As always, it'll depend on which teams are in and out of the playoffs, and the age and health status of the top Canadian players on those teams.

I don't think the Olympic result will make much of a difference.

If anything, there is less incentive for top Canadian players to come over because Hockey Canada can't use the "get international experience for the upcoming Olympics" as the carrot to draw them over.

Since 1998, Hockey Canada used World Championship participation as a criteria for consideration on the Olympic team. With no participation this year and it being up in the air for 2022, it'll be interesting to see who answers the call.

Reactions: Declassified

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
As always, it'll depend on which teams are in and out of the playoffs, and the age and health status of the top Canadian players on those teams.

I don't think the Olympic result will make much of a difference.

If anything, there is less incentive for top Canadian players to come over because Hockey Canada can't use the "get international experience for the upcoming Olympics" as the carrot to draw them over.

It's gonna be a real shitstorm in Canada after both Canada's hockey teams lose, isn't it? I mean, if Canada man team loses in the final to Russia, which has a way more impressive roster, it'll be probably ok, but lose it to Germany, it's a different thing, isn't it?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's gonna be a real ****storm in Canada after both Canada's hockey teams lose, isn't it?

No, it won't.

You'll see when the viewership results come out.

Canada beat their record for medals at the Winter Olympics and that will be the story.

I think the Curling results are probably going to be the biggest fiasco coming out of South Korea.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
When was the last time Canada hasn't had the best team in the WHC? As far as I'm concerned, Canada has been taking this tournament pretty seriously for a while now.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
It's gonna be a real ****storm in Canada after both Canada's hockey teams lose, isn't it? I mean, if Canada man team loses in the final to Russia, which has a way more impressive roster, it'll be probably ok, but lose it to Germany, it's a different thing, isn't it?

Why would hockey Canada care? The women lost in a shootout they likely need to get a little younger and they are fine. The men's hockey is irrelevant this isn't a team we would ever ice if we could use our best players.

It's not like we used to freak out about the Olympic results and assume Canadian hockey was dead in the 80's..

Reactions: Harry22 and NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
When was the last time Canada hasn't had the best team in the WHC? As far as I'm concerned, Canada has been taking this tournament pretty seriously for a while now.

They do what they can with what they have.

Definitely an improvement over the 80s and 90s.

But like I said, Hockey Canada was very serious about World Championship experience counting towards Olympic consideration.

They don't have that lever anymore, so we'll see what happens.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
The players care more than they used to about it, it appears. We don't send scrub teams to these anymore, they're actually quite competitive and was a shootout loss away from a three-peat last year. It's also in Denmark, a reasonable attractive destination, and there's an extra team to pluck from (essentially 23 teams of players to pick from after the first round of POs is over by the time the WHCs are in full swing). We send what could sometimes come close to a true "B" team, especially over the past 3 years.

It's the US that I'm worried more about usually, as a general fan of the tournament. Their team really gets shafted and they're sending pretty weak squads year in and out.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's also in Denmark, a reasonable attractive destination, and there's an extra team to pluck from (essentially 23 teams of players to pick from after the first round of POs is over by the time the WHCs are in full swing).

LOL, this is true.

If the wives want to go, it makes a difference.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
As an outsider thinking that even more NHLers could be interested than normally. Because they couldn't get to the Olympics. And there will be some nice players outside the playoffs this year...

Of course, it's all about their petsonal decisions in the end.

Reactions: Name Nameless

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
It's gonna be a real ****storm in Canada after both Canada's hockey teams lose, isn't it? I mean, if Canada man team loses in the final to Russia, which has a way more impressive roster, it'll be probably ok, but lose it to Germany, it's a different thing, isn't it?

No it won't be a shit storm at all, it won't even move the needle or affect how Hockey Canada does things at all. I can't think of a single person fan or media that was saying Canada would win Gold here so even though the team we lost to is a surprise the end result of 3rd/4th is right in line where most likely thought we would be.

As for the team I still think HC will use it as an incentive for World Cup teams and even though there isn't an immediate tournament this is a chance for young guys to get their name in with HC that they might not normally get.

I think the team will be like most teams recently young, but talented. With the teams already out there is a chance for some real talent to go with McDavid obviously the big one (but I doubt he goes) but other than that they could have guys like Monahan, Gio, Hamilton from Calgary, MacKinnon and Barrie from Colorado, Talbot and Nurse from Edmonton, Ekblad, Matheson, Hubredaeu from Florida etc.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It will be about average I think. Certainly no one in Canada is going to view the IIHF World Championships as a time to "avenge" anything, for a variety of reasons. In the last decade Canada sent by far its worst rosters to the IIHF World Championship in 2010 an 2014. Players had an easy reason not to go if they had participated in the Olympics already, plus some players were likely displeased that they weren't invited to the Olympics. Those things shouldn't be an issue this year, so I'm thinking an average team. I am curious to see however if the quality of Canadian entries regresses with Olympic participation potentially unavailable as a carrot for the players to chase.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
If I was the NHL, I would prohibit my players from going.
There is a huge injury risk. Who pays the rest of the contract if my players get injured during the WHC ?
Also, there is zero calvin incentive for me to allow my players to go, what do I gain financially ? Nothing.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The only people who care are Russians that are finally happy a brag about something.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Should be a good team for sure. If they can get both MacKinnon and Mcdavid can go that's 2/3 of a pretty good 1st line.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
My version Canada 18 roster

with players eliminate after 1 round SC

Smith/Jones

MacKinnon- McDavid- O'Reilly
Huberdeau -Tavares- Stone
Hall-Scheifele-Johansen
Horvat-Monahan-Barzal

P.K. Subban-Ryan Ellis
Barrie-Hamilton
TJ Brodie- Ekblad

The Bear is the main source for Canada World Championship roster.

If I was the NHL, I would prohibit my players from going.
There is a huge injury risk. Who pays the rest of the contract if my players get injured during the WHC ?
Also, there is zero calvin incentive for me to allow my players to go, what do I gain financially ? Nothing.

The NHL can't stop them from going this year. I'm also pretty confident that there is insurance in place.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
The Bear is the main source for Canada World Championship roster.

The NHL can't stop them from going this year. I'm also pretty confident that there is insurance in place.

good news that Josh Bailey signed a new contract. I hope he takes a RW spot on McDavid's line. I'd be down with that.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
good news that Josh Bailey signed a new contract. I hope he takes a RW spot on McDavid's line. I'd be down with that.

He's having a good year on the Islaners but I've never been a big fan. I'm sure that he's better than some other options though. Barzal is the big piece I want to see from New York. It would be nice to get a young guy like that involved. It will also be quite interesting to see what happens if Tavares actually signs a new contract before the season ends, as unlikely as that seems.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
He's having a good year on the Islaners but I've never been a big fan. I'm sure that he's better than some other options though. Barzal is the big piece I want to see from New York. It would be nice to get a young guy like that involved. It will also be quite interesting to see what happens if Tavares actually signs a new contract before the season ends, as unlikely as that seems.

He's a B team player for a B level tournament. what's there to think about? A new face instead of the usual list of names that HC calls on year in and year out. but go down the list of potentially available wingers, Josh is top of the list. He may not be adept at the international game, but we need to find out. I'd like to know. If JT signs his new deal soon, then we got ourselves a party. and of course I'm counting on Barzal being there.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
He's a B team player for a B level tournament. what's there to think about? A new face instead of the usual list of names that HC calls on year in and year out. but go down the list of potentially available wingers, Josh is top of the list. He may not be adept at the international game, but we need to find out. I'd like to know. If JT signs his new deal soon, then we got ourselves a party. and of course I'm counting on Barzal being there.

I'm just not a fan. He's a marginal B player who's probably having a peak year and won't be useful in the future. If there is a choice I would rather go with younger players. He isn't a guy that I would complain about though along the lines of Killorn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad