Will Butcher off to a hot start

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I think comments like from cgf is why you guys are easy targets, plus I think we handled Kerfoot much differently than the way the Avs handled Butcher, even so Patrick Roy apparently applied the dynamite that destroyed that bridge.

If Butcher is half the offensive talent he's shown so far that's going to be a blunder that follows Roy forever.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Well i'm fine admitting that I'm eating a crow on Butcher, he's looking great for the Devils.

I still think Sakic was put in an impossible situation due to the Roy fiasco last year along along with Bigras and Mironov needing NHL time and both having more potential (heading into the season). In hindsight with a quarter of the season over, Butcher looks to be the best of those three and would be an obvious upgrade. However, I don't think many people believed Butcher would have such an easy transition into the NHL, and with Kerfoot looking good it lessens the blow.

With that being said, I think the crackdown on slashes is part of the reason smaller defenders like Butcher and Girard are looking great.

Reactions: goonybird

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
Last year Severson had the most points among d-men with 31 in 80 games. Moore was second with 22.

Butcher now has 18 points in 23 games, more than Severson and Moore combined. The Devils have not seen production like this from their blue line in years, and his contribution to team success SO FAR can't be understated.

Reactions: Blender

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Butcher has been really impressive to me whenever the Devils play the Penguins. He's an absolute natural on the powerplay, he looks so comfortable. Even if he's nothing more than he is now, the Devils have a really nice piece in him. Defensemen who are this good on the powerplay are rare.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
5 goals, 39 Assists. Pretty good for a rookie defenseman. His smarts are what impresses me the most. If he can gain a little foot speed then he will really become one hell of a player.

Steal Your Faceoff

Jan 14, 2016
NJ
I'll admit I was disappointed the Devils lost out on Shattenkirk and was trying to not get my hopes too high for them landing Butcher who was viewed by many as a very distant second place defensive prize who wouldn't have much to any chance of being successful at all, never mind his first season. Needless to say watching Butchers game develop, it made the Shattenkirk scenario a distant memory. I genuinely wanted to know preseason why so many fans where writing Will off as just another Hobey Baker bust and there was no shortage of posters telling me "just wait, you'll see" and they weren't just saying that his skating needed improvement as much as he'd never be an nhl caliber skater and it was the biggest reason why he wouldn't find the same success that other smaller dmen like Krug have had. He might not have blazing speed but it's clear he plays positionally smart.and he seems much more consistant on the ice than fellow Devil Severson who lots of people seemed high on and desired in trade scenarios.Lots of things have contributed to putting the team in the position they are right now and Butcher has been a big part of it.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
He's had a fantastic season, more than anyone could ask. I just wish he would shoot more, dude got a good, hard shot but he barely uses it, he simply prefers to pass to someone else to shoot. If he can change that and have a 200+ shoots season he could end up a top offensive dman.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He's 22nd in the league in defensemen scoring and 4th in points/60 (he plays sheltered minutes but thrives in them). Could you have asked for any better from him?

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
There's no way Butcher could have cracked the Aves roster. He couldn't possibly be better than waiver wire pickups like Barberio and Nemeth.

Aves have been fighting for their playoff lives and when have been using Nemeth Barberio Alt and Siemens. Literally half their defense are waiver pick ups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad