Prospect Info: Will Borgen (2015, 92nd) – '17-18: Signed ELC, Reporting To Rochester

Crusader05

Mar 10, 2017
Borgen is going back to St.cloud for his Junior season

Coach Bob Motzko said Will Borgen (Sabres), Judd Peterson (Sabres), Mikey Eyssimont (L.A.) and Jimmy Schuldt (free agent) plan to return 4 @SCSUHUSKIES_MH next season

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Borgen is going back to St.cloud for his Junior season

Coach Bob Motzko said Will Borgen (Sabres), Judd Peterson (Sabres), Mikey Eyssimont (L.A.) and Jimmy Schuldt (free agent) plan to return 4 @SCSUHUSKIES_MH next season
good news imo, he needs to take another step against his peers before turning pro.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
No it's not good news. If you were a college player and took a look at the ****show in Rochester would you want any part of it?

You want to sign your good college prospects after their sophomore season and get them developing as a pro.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
No it's not good news. If you were a college player and took a look at the ****show in Rochester would you want any part of it?

You want to sign your good college prospects after their sophomore season and get them developing as a pro.
you mean like McCabe? he wisely returned for his JR season too.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
show me some proof that his junior season at Wisconsin was better for his development than spent in Rochester.
Call me old school, but I'd rather a 20yr old who isnt ready for the pro game fill out some more, wear a letter and be a team leader and actually dominate his peers (Borgen hasnt), gain more confidence and hone is craft versus toiling on the bottom pair being overmatched as a young rookie . Whats the rush? Has Rochester proven to be some amazing developmental team of late?

I think the fact that McCabe stepped into Rochester and performed very well his rookie year showed that extra year in college was beneficial to his development.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

You really think that the Amerks were a deciding factor in whether or not Borgen went pro this year? I highly doubt it. I also wonder where you get this idea that leaving college after one's sophomore year is some sort of universal path that should be followed.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
You really think that the Amerks were a deciding factor in whether or not Borgen went pro this year? I highly doubt it. I also wonder where you get this idea that leaving college after one's sophomore year is some sort of universal path that should be followed.

Why would you choose to play with fire? Playing a junior season puts a kid only a year away from calling his own shot where he wants to play in the NHL.

I also think this kid is not far from being a player for us, next year in Rochester would have sped up the process. And we need that seeing as we are already going into the 5th year of a rebuild.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY

Borgen has played 70 games with the Huskies and has decided to go back there for his junior season. He said it wasn’t a hard decision, “It's just school is the number one priority for me right now. I’m trying to get a degree because you can’t play hockey forever. That’s just my mom’s theory.â€

So he wants to stay in college to get his degree (4 years), meaning two more years of college. And if at the end of that he looks like a prospect with promise, we all know what's going to happen, right?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Nothing says that he won't get his degree in three years. It's happened and it can happen again. There's also nothing to say that he won't sign with Buffalo. People should stop freaking out about this.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Who is freaking out? Until he signs in Buffalo it is a possibility.

It seems to be in every thread about every single NCAA draftee or potential NCAA draftee. Yes, it's a possibility. It's always been a possibility. It doesn't mean that it needs to be brought up in every goddamn thread.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
So he wants to stay in college to get his degree (4 years), meaning two more years of college. And if at the end of that he looks like a prospect with promise, we all know what's going to happen, right?

Many athletes who actually graduate do so in 3 years as a result of taking summer courses. Even if he's a few credits short after 3 years, he could always go pro and finish his degree the following summer.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
It seems to be in every thread about every single NCAA draftee or potential NCAA draftee. Yes, it's a possibility. It's always been a possibility. It doesn't mean that it needs to be brought up in every goddamn thread.

Amen. We have a way to go.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

The real question is why we don't hear about it re: European players. Where's the concern that Olofsson is just gonna wait until his rights expire and then just go UFA? Or how about Luukkonen? Same concept, right?

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
He's a top prospect for us, he simply can't be allowed to stay in college for a 4th year. Contract wise is there any incentive we can offer or the bonuses allowed for ELC's are all the same? With 3 years completed he could easily do online courses through his first pro season and then follow up in the offseason, he'll have his 4 year degree pretty fast.
The weapon we don't want to use is guaranteeing him an NHL spot. But if it came down to a choice between losing him and gifting him a spot I'd give him the spot. He will be draft +3, not like putting an 18 year old in the NHL.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
He's a top prospect for us, he simply can't be allowed to stay in college for a 4th year. Contract wise is there any incentive we can offer or the bonuses allowed for ELC's are all the same? With 3 years completed he could easily do online courses through his first pro season and then follow up in the offseason, he'll have his 4 year degree pretty fast.
The weapon we don't want to use is guaranteeing him an NHL spot. But if it came down to a choice between losing him and gifting him a spot I'd give him the spot. He will be draft +3, not like putting an 18 year old in the NHL.

Top prospect? Are we talking about the same guy here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad