Prospect Info: Will Borgen (2015, 92nd) – '17-18: Signed ELC, Reporting To Rochester

drew5580

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2007
I don’t normally assume college players will go to free agency, but I have a feeling he will. This only serves to drive up interest in him

drew5580

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2007
He’d have to wait another year since he’s only a junior. I suspect the team will have a contract waiting for him after the season ends and he will sign it.
My bad, could have sworn he was in his 4th year

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I’ve always liked him. He’s a mean bastard to play against, which we need, and will be fun to watch.

And he has decent mobility so he should be able to translate that to current NHL rosters. He offers a lot of sand in his game that is predominantly lacking from the Sabres blueline prospects. I would also expect for his family advisor/agent to be looking at the Sabres roster and thinking “this kid I’ll be in the bigs in no time” because of just how terrible the NHL level players are and how terrible the depth is. It would be surprising if they don’t get him signed or if he has decided to go somewhere else. The biggest opportunity on defense in the NHL right now is the Buffalo f***ing Sabres .

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Love watching this guy work. The only thing I don't like is that sometimes when he joins the rush, he is a little slow getting back into position. But the contact, the stick, the footwork in tight spaces? Yes please.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Having a chance to watch the game tonight and Borgen has impressed me. Reminds me of what you would hope Bogo was. Big, good mobility, gritty, plays within himself and seems to have good hockey sense. The Olympics will be a great experience for him. I see an NHL dman.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Having a chance to watch the game tonight and Borgen has impressed me. Reminds me of what you would hope Bogo was. Big, good mobility, gritty, plays within himself and seems to have good hockey sense. The Olympics will be a great experience for him. I see an NHL dman.

He has a lot of throwback in his game without the brain cramps. There is a Sabre defenseman I would compare him to with the caveat of "but Borgen is mobile" but I won't damn him with a direct comparison at this time. :D

I think the last time I was excited about a Sabre defenseman going to play on an Olympic team, I was 10 and it was Mike Ramsey.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
My guess is Borgen only spends half a season in Rochester unless somehow our d corps becomes much better.

He needs to be signed first. Murray if I recall correctly tried to sign him last spring and Borgen wasn't interested - that is worrisome.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
My guess is Borgen only spends half a season in Rochester unless somehow our d corps becomes much better.

He needs to be signed first. Murray if I recall correctly tried to sign him last spring and Borgen wasn't interested - that is worrisome.

If you can find a link that states Murray actually offered him a deal, that'd be great.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
If you can find a link that states Murray actually offered him a deal, that'd be great.

I think Vogl or Harrington alluded to the Sabres making the overture. Already he was facing the prospect of losing Petersen so getting a solid prospect like Borgen inked would have been desirable. 2 years of NCAA for a good prospect is enough. Why play with fire and let a prospect get tangibly close to becoming a UFA.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think Vogl or Harrington alluded to the Sabres making the overture. Already he was facing the prospect of losing Petersen so getting a solid prospect like Borgen inked would have been desirable. 2 years of NCAA for a good prospect is enough. Why play with fire and let a prospect get tangibly close to becoming a UFA.

So no actual source?

Reactions: brian_griffin

RhinosLastFan

Nov 7, 2017
He’d have to wait another year since he’s only a junior. I suspect the team will have a contract waiting for him after the season ends and he will sign it.

Really hope you're right. He's one of my dark horses to be an impact player for us in the future. Olofsson ahead of him, Davidsson right behind.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
So no actual source?

Not to hop in here, but I do think there is something to what the poster is saying. I vaguely recall a radio interview during which Murray mentioned that he had talked to, or was going to talk to, Borgen's representatives about turning pro after last season. (I seem to recall it being at or around the time he was suspended last season.) Naturally, there was no follow-up and Murray was fired, and we're left to assume that he chose not to leave after last season.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
We ended the conversation discussing Buffalo and his future. Borgen expressed his focus was with St. Cloud State and earning his degree. He did go on to talk a little about how he looks forward to his future. Saying, “I like Buffalo, but right now I’m focused on college and hopefully get my degree here, but yeah Buffalo is a great spot.”

uh **** that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad