Will Anton Stralman emerge as the #4 defenseman this year?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Doubtful. McD, Staal, Girardi, MDZ most likely. Maybe AV will swtich up the combos from the McD - Girardi, Staal - MDZ pairings that Torts used, but I'd be surprised if those weren't the guys.

I think Stralman is a passable second pair player, and a very good third pair player. I'd rather have him play third pair and do well while other guys who are more fit for the minutes take the other spots.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I'm gonna go with: YES!

IMO with Staal out for half the season and Girardi playing awfully; he was the 2nd best defenceman on the team last year.

I'm not sure he'll be able to maintain the way he played last year, but if he can we have the best D in the league and I'm not sure it is close. He dominated his opposition by every metric available except individual points.

Plus he plays the right side, we have no depth at all on the right side. He is basically our #4 by default.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
If only because he's our 2nd RHD he would. I would expect MDZ to rebound this year, along with everyone else

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
considering I expect a bounce- back year from Girardi and Del Zotto, no. But that's a good thing, great player and he's on our third pair.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Stralman will emerge as our best option for the #6 spot.

I believe that John Moore will be better AND have the potential of being better than MDZ.

If there was a guy to take over the #4 spot, it's Moore, not Stralman.

But that is just my opinion.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
How many minutes did he play per game and what was the talent he faces off against?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Thrilled to have a guy like him on the 3rd pair. The advanced scouts hit a homerun when they flagged him.

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
He appears a bit one-way either direction? Gonna pruduce with defensive liabilities or be solid defensively and that's it. Liked him last season but more in moments than overall. Excellent 3rd pairing.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think John Moore will emerge as the #4 best blueliner on the team, but Stralman will get more total minutes because of his spot as a RHD on the 2nd pairing.

I expect Moore and Del Zotto to be the third pair.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Great hip checks, solid, dependable, nothing to dislike. Maybe Ulfie will instill some meaness to him in the corners and in front of the net. That rounds out a good package. Lets see which LHD shifts over before we talk about pairings.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Poor DZ. Leading points getter on the blue line since his arrival to Broadway after being drafted. Spends half a year in the minor after a terrific rookie season. Makes a rebound in his third season and does more than enough to prove that he's worthy of not only playing at an NHL level, but also as a part of the core. Overcomes the shortcomings of his defense in order to adapt to John Tortorella hockey and still manages to put up solid offensive production. Has improved as a player in terms of skating, skills, and on ice decisions since his rookie season and has made strides defensively that once put his role on our team in question.

In a shortened season where he is a .5PPG player playing on a defensively uptight team with no power play structure or success for him to assume to the role of the PPQB, new comer John Moore who hasn't proved as much as MDZ is already slotted to become more successful.

Bottom pairing pick up Anton Stralman is considered for the #4 position and judging by some posts, MDZ is soon slotted into the #6 spot on our team by some.

I ask, why the hate? If not hate, he's like that guy that works hard in the company but never gets promoted or mentioned as a part of the success. The Stanley Hudson of Dunder Mifflin Scranton who despite his "most consistent sales record" is never regarded as a top notch salesman, the Louis Litt from Suits who labors harder than anyone but is kept at the same position for years and is antagonized by all.

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
Del Zotto will be the best D EVER, this year.
(A wilde guess / what goes up goes down, vv)

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Sometimes Ranger fans just decide a player is bad en masse. Offensive defensemen who aren't Brian Leetch tend to get it the worst (next to maybe Marcel Hossa).

The Rangers top scoring defenseman seasons in the past 10 years:
2002-03 Tom Poti 48
2011-12 Michael Del Zotto 41
2006-07 Michal Rozsival 40
2007-08 Michal Rozsival 38
2009-10 Michael Del Zotto 37

Notice anything?

And there's some players Ranger fans just grasp a hold of like there's no tomorrow. Stralman, IMO, is approaching Jarkko Immonen in that regard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad