Will Albany end up in ECHL?????

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Its very interesting, the arena is pitching either a WNBA or NBA-D league team as replacement tenant for the departing Smallbany Devils. The only hockey that is being pursued is more NCAA games and talks of pre season NHL game between NY Rangers and Buffalo Sabres. If Manchester, Norfolk, or Elmira bolts more teams will be needed for sure. Portland is a no go at this point.

What makes a Facebook page created by some fan looking to replace the hockey team interesting?

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
Its very interesting, the arena is pitching either a WNBA or NBA-D league team as replacement tenant for the departing Smallbany Devils. The only hockey that is being pursued is more NCAA games and talks of pre season NHL game between NY Rangers and Buffalo Sabres. If Manchester, Norfolk, or Elmira bolts more teams will be needed for sure. Portland is a no go at this point.

That was the same case with Worcester, I believe it was either D-League Basketball or Lacrosse being pitched by the DCU Center at the time.

Truth is they won't get anything until the city or an investor steps in and pushes for a team to be purchased, bought, or relocated. As others have pointed out in other threads on here, the politicians in Albany are difficult to work with and don't have any desire to push for a team at this time.

If that page gets big enough and they get the right people on board, that could sway the arena and politicians to reconsider their stance on the hockey situation in Albany.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

ECHL kinda blocked that to be honest, because just as Worcester tried that first season when the Sharks became the Barracuda before the Railers were announced, NS...

Portland still is waiting but unless something breaks w/ Spectra, who manages CIA (REMEMBER Spectra IS THE SAME group which was awarded the franchise that became Utica in 1988)....

question is the Nets will be in Nassau, the Knicks are in Westchester for D-League...

Portland has the Celtics tie-in under the hybrid agreement, and more NBA Teams are going the O&O, or the hybrid (Memphis and Orlando, THE MOST recent after Minnesota acquired Iowa's Energy in return for Southhaven, MS, also the site of the SPHL Riverkings), and Orlando bought Erie, and will transfer them to Lakeland for 2018-19....

Don't see where Albany fits into that scenario without an NBA tie-in.

RowdyFan42

Apr 22, 2015
Albany(-ish)
Truth is they won't get anything until the city or an investor steps in and pushes for a team to be purchased, bought, or relocated. As others have pointed out in other threads on here, the politicians in Albany are difficult to work with and don't have any desire to push for a team at this time.

I bolded the key phrase. It is true that they're not pursuing a team for next season, 2017-18, and unless something drops in their laps in the next couple months, Albany will be without pro hockey for the first time since 1993. Given the ongoing renovations, this is probably for the best, as there will be fewer events to try and work around. However, this should not be taken to mean that the arena folks have given up on pro hockey all together. The lack of discussion of anything beyond next season does not mean there is nothing going on, just that it would be inappropriate to disclose anything publically at this time. They are quite aware of the situation in Hartford, probably more so than most of us discussing it here. Frankly, they wouldn't be doing their jobs if they weren't already talking to the Rangers or planning to do so in the near future.

In my opinion (and it is just that, I have no inside knowledge to back this up), Albany stays dark for 2017-18, possibly brings in some extra college games, then makes a huge push for the Rangers AHL team in 2018-19. If that doesn't work, maybe they pursue the ECHL, maybe they don't.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
I bolded the key phrase. It is true that they're not pursuing a team for next season, 2017-18, and unless something drops in their laps in the next couple months, Albany will be without pro hockey for the first time since 1993. Given the ongoing renovations, this is probably for the best, as there will be fewer events to try and work around. However, this should not be taken to mean that the arena folks have given up on pro hockey all together. The lack of discussion of anything beyond next season does not mean there is nothing going on, just that it would be inappropriate to disclose anything publically at this time. They are quite aware of the situation in Hartford, probably more so than most of us discussing it here. Frankly, they wouldn't be doing their jobs if they weren't already talking to the Rangers or planning to do so in the near future.

In my opinion (and it is just that, I have no inside knowledge to back this up), Albany stays dark for 2017-18, possibly brings in some extra college games, then makes a huge push for the Rangers AHL team in 2018-19. If that doesn't work, maybe they pursue the ECHL, maybe they don't.

I absolutely love the River Rats name and logo lol. Absolutely iconic and when I hear the word Albany NY I can help but think of the River Rats lol. Your old coach Robbie Ftorek is coaching down this way for the Norfolk Admirals in the ECHL and has done a solid job of turning the team around. I hope those city, county, and arena management up in Albany pay close attention. The Rangers AHL hockey in Albany if done right in a challenging market of college teams can be very successful. Albany is a funny town, it has an inferior complex yet is so loyal to New York and Boston sports teams. Albany cannot land the Bruins AHL team, never going to happen as things are too perfect in Providence, but the Rangers make so much more sense. Albany and the Rangers is an optimal geographical match, not to mention players and fans can take the train directly to and from each city and stepping off the train right inside MSG. Will the Albany team average 6000 a night, probably not but I can see the Rangers AHL averaging no less then 4000. I can see the Rangers selling out the 6500 seats on weekends often. For the ECHL to work in Albany it would need more regional rivals such as Adirondack, Elmira, maybe Utica, etc. Portland doesn't appear to be happening, and Manchester unless they become a Bruins affiliate may not hold out much longer. The fans up in upstate NY need to hammer the politicians and arena officials up there. They want vacant nights in an arena the NYS tax payers just poured 30 million into? They think the imploded arena football league of only 5 teams is going to fill the void?? I doubt it, Albany NY Rangers baby, or hopefully Albany River Rats hockey, AHL affiliate of the NY Rangers!!!!

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I absolutely love the River Rats name and logo lol. Absolutely iconic and when I hear the word Albany NY I can help but think of the River Rats lol. Your old coach Robbie Ftorek is coaching down this way for the Norfolk Admirals in the ECHL and has done a solid job of turning the team around. I hope those city, county, and arena management up in Albany pay close attention. The Rangers AHL hockey in Albany if done right in a challenging market of college teams can be very successful. Albany is a funny town, it has an inferior complex yet is so loyal to New York and Boston sports teams. Albany cannot land the Bruins AHL team, never going to happen as things are too perfect in Providence, but the Rangers make so much more sense. Albany and the Rangers is an optimal geographical match, not to mention players and fans can take the train directly to and from each city and stepping off the train right inside MSG. Will the Albany team average 6000 a night, probably not but I can see the Rangers AHL averaging no less then 4000. I can see the Rangers selling out the 6500 seats on weekends often. For the ECHL to work in Albany it would need more regional rivals such as Adirondack, Elmira, maybe Utica, etc. Portland doesn't appear to be happening, and Manchester unless they become a Bruins affiliate may not hold out much longer. The fans up in upstate NY need to hammer the politicians and arena officials up there. They want vacant nights in an arena the NYS tax payers just poured 30 million into? They think the imploded arena football league of only 5 teams is going to fill the void?? I doubt it, Albany NY Rangers baby, or hopefully Albany River Rats hockey, AHL affiliate of the NY Rangers!!!!

if you look at the other thread here, never discount Portland, and why if the LA Kings own Manchester would they ever be a Bruin affiliate there, NS, that's just not physically probable, even with Worcester potentially landing that affiliation

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
if you look at the other thread here, never discount Portland, and why if the LA Kings own Manchester would they ever be a Bruin affiliate there, NS, that's just not physically probable, even with Worcester potentially landing that affiliation

As Manchester was sold to a ownership group out of Boston, Norfolk Admirals were purchased by a group from New York. I would have thought the owner of Worcester was going to pursue an affiliation with the Bruins NHL-AHL but reports had said the Manchester group had some strong connections with the Boston sports scene. It looks as though two of the three AHL to ECHL transplants have been sold by their NHL organizations to private ownership groups, except so far Adirondack. It looked as though the NHL clubs purchased these clubs, moved them, then sold them to private ownership groups. Calgary has so far done Adirondack a solid, especially with all star event and lowering prices but I wonder how long before they seek to sell to locals. There is a real estate developer up in that area that wanted to bring a Rangers ECHL affiliate to Glens Falls few years back but fans up there back then revolted at the thought someone would entertain bringing in less then AHL hockey...

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
As Manchester was sold to a ownership group out of Boston, Norfolk Admirals were purchased by a group from New York. I would have thought the owner of Worcester was going to pursue an affiliation with the Bruins NHL-AHL but reports had said the Manchester group had some strong connections with the Boston sports scene. It looks as though two of the three AHL to ECHL transplants have been sold by their NHL organizations to private ownership groups, except so far Adirondack. It looked as though the NHL clubs purchased these clubs, moved them, then sold them to private ownership groups. Calgary has so far done Adirondack a solid, especially with all star event and lowering prices but I wonder how long before they seek to sell to locals. There is a real estate developer up in that area that wanted to bring a Rangers ECHL affiliate to Glens Falls few years back but fans up there back then revolted at the thought someone would entertain bringing in less then AHL hockey...

just because PPI bought the franchise means nothing, the Kings stated they're not leaving Manchester... you forget Edmonton has had the affiliation w/ Norfolk, not Anaheim which bought the AHL Version. PPI has connection interspersed with the AEG/Kings, I don't see that CHANGING.

what does Adirondack have to do with any of that, they've had numerous teams in other leagues before, and remember the Adirondack "Frostbite" BECAUSE OF THE Wings connection to ESPN (Melrose/Levy), you know who's actually running that team for Calgary, NS.... the same owner/CEO who had been the FRONT MAN (Petrovek) WHO GOT demoted 4 years ago.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
just because PPI bought the franchise means nothing, the Kings stated they're not leaving Manchester... you forget Edmonton has had the affiliation w/ Norfolk, not Anaheim which bought the AHL Version. PPI has connection interspersed with the AEG/Kings, I don't see that CHANGING.

what does Adirondack have to do with any of that, they've had numerous teams in other leagues before, and remember the Adirondack "Frostbite" BECAUSE OF THE Wings connection to ESPN (Melrose/Levy), you know who's actually running that team for Calgary, NS.... the same owner/CEO who had been the FRONT MAN (Petrovek) WHO GOT demoted 4 years ago.

It has much to do with things. Two of three AHL to ECHL markets were sold off by their parent club. Luckily for Adirondack they are still owned by Calgary. Will Calgary sell off their franchise to a local or regional private ownership group is the big question. Petrovek walked into Adirondack and nearly damaged his relationship with the Adirondack faithful. First doing a crazy PR stunt as the Adirondack Flames mascot was seen on video standing over a dead firefighter, then he angered fans up in Glens Falls saying they need to be educated that ECHL hockey is not a step below the AHL, then he starts off the ECHL era in Glens Falls with no reduction in prices when fans were used to AHL hockey. He has appropriately responded by lowering ECHL prices and bringing in an excellent ECHL all star event to Adirondack. Adirondack is a strong anchor to a northeast ECHL foot print. Worcester cant be a lone ECHL northeast team, it wont survive..... Adirondack and Manchester will be important. The league is already swiftly putting a team in Jacksonville, the northeast footprint depends on a strong foundation within next couple years.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Another good article regarding Albany's challenges, the ECHL, and Albany fan favorite now coaching in the ECHL. If Albany cannot score the AHL Rangers maybe an ECHL Rangers, Islanders, or whomever. Even mentions Utica being a good fit for the ECHL.

http://www.troyrecord.com/article/TR/20170210/NEWS/170219970

Ftorek pretty much said it all... "Albany is a government city, when the weekend comes, everyone is gone". ... Probably explains why they have the attendance that they do.

I personally can not see anyone taking a chance of putting a team in Albany, unless they are in serious need of a tax rightoff.......

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Ftorek pretty much said it all... "Albany is a government city, when the weekend comes, everyone is gone". ... Probably explains why they have the attendance that they do.

I personally can not see anyone taking a chance of putting a team in Albany, unless they are in serious need of a tax rightoff.......

Rangers AHL, Rangers AHL Rangers AHL. College hockey draws well in downtown Albany, the last NHL pre season game in Albany against the Devils was a pro Rangers crowd which drew over 9,000 on a Wednesday night, and Siena Basketball plays their home games in downtown Albany, they average 6000 fans per game. Robbie didn't say it all, he was just mentioning what some attribute. Personally, I think the Devils organization suck it to Albany so much that they just had enough, like the Albany paper said we don't need the Devils AHL team back in first place, most fans didn't want them. They don't market the team well, most of their games aren't even on the radio (passed over when Yankees, Giants, or UAlbany Basketball is playing), they start every Saturday home game at 5pm, and they raised walkup ticket prices to $28.00. They don't market to groups..... Give them a decent product, priced competitively for their college sports town market, reach out to the government employees unions for discounts, and for god sake give them their own name and brand identity. They will do ok even in the ECHL with Glens Falls and eventually Utica NY.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Rangers AHL, Rangers AHL Rangers AHL. College hockey draws well in downtown Albany, the last NHL pre season game in Albany against the Devils was a pro Rangers crowd which drew over 9,000 on a Wednesday night, and Siena Basketball plays their home games in downtown Albany, they average 6000 fans per game. Robbie didn't say it all, he was just mentioning what some attribute. Personally, I think the Devils organization suck it to Albany so much that they just had enough, like the Albany paper said we don't need the Devils AHL team back in first place, most fans didn't want them. They don't market the team well, most of their games aren't even on the radio (passed over when Yankees, Giants, or UAlbany Basketball is playing), they start every Saturday home game at 5pm, and they raised walkup ticket prices to $28.00. They don't market to groups..... Give them a decent product, priced competitively for their college sports town market, reach out to the government employees unions for discounts, and for god sake give them their own name and brand identity. They will do ok even in the ECHL with Glens Falls and eventually Utica NY.

and what happens if the Rangers stay in Hartford?

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
and what happens if the Rangers stay in Hartford?

Then they are [MOD] out of luck for an AHL club lol. Maybe, after a brief absence from minor pro hockey a ECHL club could maybe work but they would have to do everything different then what the Devils organization was doing, or unwilling to do. The Albany area is home to a low level class A minor league baseball team, the Tri City Valleycats. Despite being an affiliate of the Houston Astros they do very well. They have local management, local brand identity, solid marketing and promotions, and the local business community perceives them to have good value to associate with. Its right sized for the Albany market, good baseball, very affordable. Now, I know its baseball, America's game and they have the advantages such as nice weather months and plenty of free parking. Despite those advantages that hockey teams mostly do not have for obvious reasons, the lower level baseball team in the Albany does well because they have found the niche or the formula that works. The New Jersey Devils organization ultimately was the downfall of the River Rat team as well. Over a decade of losing hockey, no playoffs, rising prices. Fans watched prices in tickets rise, food prices rise, no more broadcast of games on radio, declining media coverage, and ultimately fan interest diminished as well. Then came the rise of Union College hockey who gets all the media attention along with two local college basketball teams. Albany has become a mecca for high school and NCAA college sports, minor league sports presently has diminished value in that area for whatever reason during the winter months. In the summer its all about Saratoga Horse racing and Valleycats baseball. It will be interesting next season to see if the Albany NY area media provides more coverage to the Adirondack Thunder ECHL club. I can never find the Albany, Schenectady, Troy newspapers and TV media making mention of ECHL hockey up in Adirondack, less then an hour north....

Last edited by a moderator:

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
The riverrats name is still owned by the Charlotte checkers, that team moved south and took it with them.

Local ownership is key, is there anyone in Albany interested in owning an AHL team? If not then there will be no pro hockey in Albany at any level.

With two solid division 1 hockey programs in town, what few fans were going to games will have options.and college hockey is an outstanding level and atmosphere.

An NHL pre season game is really of no significance, I have gone to NHL pre season games in Albany, but I would not go for an AHL game.

Personally I think Albany has enough hockey options to keep the city happy.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The riverrats name is still owned by the Charlotte checkers, that team moved south and took it with them.

Local ownership is key, is there anyone in Albany interested in owning an AHL team? If not then there will be no pro hockey in Albany at any level.

With two solid division 1 hockey programs in town, what few fans were going to games will have options.and college hockey is an outstanding level and atmosphere.

An NHL pre season game is really of no significance, I have gone to NHL pre season games in Albany, but I would not go for an AHL game.

UH, IF THAT was the case, then the River Rats/Devils WERE in violation by using it for a single game, or multiple games this past season, then, ALL CDS did was sell the franchise/license, because had the franchise stayed there were discussions about considering reverting back to that name, I suspect, CDS kept the right to use the name, otherwise, CDS/Robb COULD'VE BEEN SUED by the Checkers.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

Negative: All intellectual rights (name and logo) were retained by Capital District Sports. The franchise rights only were sold to the ownership group of the ECHL Charlotte Checkers. Capital District Sports is still very much an active identity, stay tuned...... Rangers may not be an option anyway, there are talks underway with possible Brooklyn's arena.

ADK34

Feb 1, 2016
Glens Falls, NY
Albany really screwed up the times for games this year. 5pm on Saturday nights is forcing people to buy low quality and expensive arena food for dinner. This weekend they have two 1pm games, one tomorrow and one Monday. If they really wanted to keep hockey in Albany, they probably should've adjusted the timing for their games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad