Will Albany end up in ECHL?????

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Now with the AHL's departure from Albany all but certain how do ECHL fans feel about Albany being available???? I say they should go dark, looks like it could be a boost for Adirondack's ECHL less then an hour north.

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Sources-Albany-Devils-leaving-for-Binghamton-10884403.php

The two are far enough away that I'm not sure the fan bases overlap. Studies show that attendance tends to fall off once one gets beyond about a 15-to-20-minute driving distance from the rink. Union & RPI would probably benefit most from Albany going dark. An ECHL team would have a nice rivalry with Adirondack.

ADK34

Feb 1, 2016
Glens Falls, NY
On the devils Facebook and Instagram pages many of the few loyal fans were not happy with this announcement. I do not think echl will step in for a couple of seasons. Albany just wasn't a good enough hockey town.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
albany will out of the ahl for one year then the Rangers are moving there.

I think thats the sentiment. I have relatives in nearby Saratoga. They said thats the talk, and thats why nobody cares the Devils are leaving. I think Albany and the Rangers would be a huge deal. I dont think Albany is out, they are doing a 30 millon dollar makeover which will be done by fall of 2018.The Rangers like their NHL club doesn't ever get to the prize. Hartford is awful this year.

Last edited:

BTV

Oct 12, 2005
Lewiston, Maine
I dont think Albany is out, they are doing a 30 millon dollar makeover which will be done by fall of 2018.

I see your $30 million and raise you to $33 million. That was our renovation cost here in Portland, and our team still left anyway. I feel for the Albany fans, I know what this is like...but arena upgrades don't guarantee you anything.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
How is Albany doing population wise as I know some areas have had a decrease in population.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
How is Albany doing population wise as I know some areas have had a decrease in population.

Albany the city itself isn't very populated, around 97,000 people. The overall regional attendance includes the area all the way up to Glens Falls, and halfway west to almost Utica. Surrounding smaller cities of Schenectady and Troy already are home to two NCAA DI college hockey programs both located within twenty minutes of Albany.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
If the reactions in ADK, Manchester, and Norfolk are any indication, the ECHL in Albany may be a waste of everyone's time. I'd say stick to DI hockey and maybe the AHL will come back someday. Or maybe the Isles will need an emergency home if they need out of Barclay's lol.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
Don't see it happening anytime soon.

Doubt the NY Devils want to touch the ECHL again either with ownership or affiliating, so a private investor would have to bring a team to the city.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
The Capital Region is one of the few places in the state that is actually gaining population. It's a very modest growth, but at least the numbers are growing rather than shrinking.

(Source)

Albany are is doing much better then Buffalo, Rochester, Utica, Binghamton, and Elmira.
Its doing better everywhere else other then hockey lol. Tells me possibly the population is more sophisticated, minor league sports are probably seen with less significance.

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/news/2016/03/24/albany-bucks-upstate-trend-of-population-loss.html

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
I'm sure someone could toss their hat into the ring. It's not like the arena is decrepit.

Don't plan on it happening quickly.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
It's not interesting at all. :laugh:

Its very interesting, the arena is pitching either a WNBA or NBA-D league team as replacement tenant for the departing Smallbany Devils. The only hockey that is being pursued is more NCAA games and talks of pre season NHL game between NY Rangers and Buffalo Sabres. If Manchester, Norfolk, or Elmira bolts more teams will be needed for sure. Portland is a no go at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad