Confirmed with Link: Wild re-sign Granlund, 3 years, $17.25 million (5.75M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Less than 6M AAV thank you GMCF.

Three years? Why?

Might have been a good middle ground for both parties. Granlund continues to score in the ≈70 point range, he gets a raise. He regresses? He takes a paycut.

He might want the flexibility to sign elsewhere, too.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Three years? Why?

Compromise I imagine. If he continues to be a 70 point player, he's worth much more than 5.75. But if he back slides a bit, he's probably fairly paid. Just some insurance on both sides.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
At first, I was like, "only 3 years?" But now that I've thought about it longer than 5 seconds I like it. If Granlund's last year wasn't a fluke, he'll be due a raise in a few years. We should have a little more flexibility by then. If it was a fluke, we're only locked in for a few years.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
The way I see it, this deal is a 'medium' risk for both parties. The Wild didn't have to lock up a possibly fluky winger for a long period of time and Granlund himself just gained an opportunity to prove himself to be worthy of top dollar.

If however Granlund continues to put up impressive numbers, lets say the next 3 years +70 points, it's going to be very tough for the Wild to keep him when he hits UFA.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'm guessing Granlund didn't want anything more because of he keeps up his play, he's worth quite a bit more.

This mitigates the risk for the Wild, and allows Granlund to go for the bigger payday later.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Big win for the Wild on this deal. If he continues to play at the level he did last year (for December, January, February) he is worth the money.

If not, his contract should be easy to move. If he gets better, he could still be moved for a younger player and save us on a future cap hit.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
5.75 is exactly what I thought would be a good cap hit. Surprised by the three-year-term, but like others have said, it makes sense as Granny wants to prove his 69 points wasn't a fluke, and if he keeps this level of play up, his contract is a bargain for Fletcher. Good stuff. Great to see Granny continue here, easily my favourite player!

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
$11 mil for Granny and Nino, exactly what I have been saying for months. I wish this had been 2 years more but I'm just happy he's back for at least 3 years.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I would have liked a 1 yr, do it again deal. But I'll take the 3 yr over a 8 year deal. Plus he should be movable if Zucker and Dumba end up more valuable to the team after next season.

PlusMinusZero

Sep 19, 2014
Sastamala
I would have liked a 1 yr, do it again deal. But I'll take the 3 yr over a 8 year deal. Plus he should be movable if Zucker and Dumba end up more valuable to the team after next season.

Yeah.I`ll promise you that Zucker and Dumba wont be more valuable next year or year after that or year after that and so on.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
$11 mil for Granny and Nino, exactly what I have been saying for months. I wish this had been 2 years more but I'm just happy he's back for at least 3 years.

His willingness to sign away a UFA year also shows commitment here and his willingness to continue here if things continue to work out.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
This was such a tough contract to nail down, and in the end, this is probably the best for both sides. We just don't know what he really is yet, and both sides can part ways in a few years if he prices himself out or goes back to being a 50 point winger. And our cap space situation may not be terrible at that point, so we could potentially bring him back for big bucks without too much problem. Who knows?

Either way, I'm definitely fine with the deal for now. Seems like the wisest choice.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Yeah.I`ll promise you that Zucker and Dumba wont be more valuable next year or year after that or year after that and so on.

Zucker might be a stretch, but it depends on production and the contract he'll get compared to Granny. If Zucker has another 21g/25a (even strength) season and will take a $4-$4.5mx5 deal it's really tempting to pick that over Granny (~60p) at $5.75x2.

Dumba as a top-4 RHD could easily have more value to the Wild than Granny as a wing. Wild have lots of depth as a LHS winger in the NHL and within the organization (Greenway and Kaprizov). The RD position is pretty barren behind Dumba.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
just like nino he deserved 6 mill x 5, oh well i guess CF got a good deal. ps wabit zucker may hit 30G this season & dumba 15G so next year could be surfin big waves for gmcf.

PlusMinusZero

Sep 19, 2014
Sastamala
Zucker might be a stretch, but it depends on production and the contract he'll get compared to Granny. If Zucker has another 21g/25a (even strength) season and will take a $4-$4.5mx5 deal it's really tempting to pick that over Granny (~60p) at $5.75x2.

Dumba as a top-4 RHD could easily have more value to the Wild than Granny as a wing. Wild have lots of depth as a LHS winger in the NHL and within the organization (Greenway and Kaprizov). The RD position is pretty barren behind Dumba.

Well, Dumba could have.But the thing is that if Granny scores like last year then even Dumba wont be even close to Grannys value to this team.And im not sure why would his scoring come crashing down next year because hes always been getting points at this rate when playing on wing, in national team and when he was still in finland.He was forced to play center and its pretty safe to say that hes not a center.That also was the reason why he didnt score so much, now that he is a winger I think that points will keep on coming and first line winger is more valuable than top 4 d.

Last edited:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Seems reasonable. A fair deal. Gives Granlund a chance to prove it and cash in a few years down the road if he keeps up last year's pace.

I think Fletch did a good job with both these extensions.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's like Fletcher and Gronland both wanted to dip their toes in the FA pool rather than jump straight in.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Well, Dumba could have.But the thing is that if Granny scores like last year then even Dumba wont be even close to Grannys value to this team.And im not sure why would his scoring come crashing down next year because hes always been getting points at this rate when playing on wing, in national team and when he was still in finland.He was forced to play center and its pretty safe to say that hes not a center.That also was the reason why he didnt score so much, now that he is a winger I think that points will keep on coming and first line winger is more valuable than top 4 d.

At the same time, if Dumba becomes the 2D he can be, that's more valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad