Post-Game Talk: Wild @ Jets • Tue Sep 22nd, 7PM • MTS Centre

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Absolutely! 3v3 is a far better way of resolving OT than the SO. More entertaining, and it feels a little less like a "flukey" deal even if you lose...goalies probably prefer it too I'd imagine.

fergiesbeak

Aug 26, 2008
The Peg
Goaltending was best aspect of our game. Ehlers looked very fast!
No other rookies did much. Only first game. Burmi is no frolik
Great to have hockey back!

Basalt13

Sep 2, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Goaltending was best aspect of our game. Ehlers looked very fast!
No other rookies did much. Only first game. Burmi is no frolik
Great to have hockey back!

You're right Burmi is no Frolik. He is better. Burmi was our best player on the ice last night. As for Ehlers sure he was fast, but he needs to learn real quick that this isn't junior anymore where he can just skate around everyone. I wasn't a fan of his game last night.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
You're right Burmi is no Frolik. He is better. Burmi was our best player on the ice last night. As for Ehlers sure he was fast, but he needs to learn real quick that this isn't junior anymore where he can just skate around everyone. I wasn't a fan of his game last night.

I had Schefele as our best player other than our goalies. Maybe he can't skate around everyone but there are lots of players in the NHL that Ehlers will be able to walk around. Wheeler does it, Kane did it. Why would you want him to slow down?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm not that diff from surixon.

Thought the Scheifele line struggled in first period, but played very well in second and third. I thought Stafford did much better than last season with those two, but he's definitely a level below the two. Wheeler on 3v3 is hella fun.

Thought the Burmistrov line was magic in the first period. I don't think they were that much on the perimeter though, more so just had some puck distribution flubs. Historically speaking Perreault has one of the best shot distributions in the NHL. He gets in tight all the time. However, I do think they struggled a bit with their passes in the second and third. They are really solid on the forecheck though.

Petan played as well as you could hope given situation. Imagine if he was setting up guys like Perreault, Ehlers, Wheeler, Ladd, not guys like Raffl and Thorburn. Don't hate Thorburn, just think that you don't want him to be more than your #12. Raffl protects the puck well, and was better skater than I remember him in the past, but meh.

Thought Armia played fine, but he needs to shoot more and have his linemates go to the right spots for passes. Lemieux and Copp were okay, but looked more like prospects soon to be NHLers, not NHLers.

Enstrom and Byfuglien I normally love together, but I thought today they were actually what people normally falsely feel about them. They generated lots, but allowed more. Buff was way to rovery. Normally Enstrom is the type of guy you want with Buff or Trouba as he's the closest thing the Jets have to a shutdown D interms of actually shutting down the opponent.

Stuart and Trouba had a solid game I though, meaning I though Trouba had a great game and Stuart was good enough to not hinder Stu completely. Stu did have head scratcher moments with puck movement, but that's just the way it is with his type of d-men. He needs to stop stepping up on oddman rushes, turning 3-on-2s into 2-on-1s... poor Trouba.

Morrissey and Kichton weren't really that noticeable. I thought Morrissey made some solid outlets but Kichton was disappointing.

Thought Armia was very good defensively. It started with his great back check stick lift to thwart the 2-1 scoring chance where Josh got caught up ice. Joel is positionally sound and I think PMo can trust him to play a safe game within the system. That is an important base position for a skilled player to have. I am interested to see him get moved around a bit and assert himself more offensively. Their line lacked chemistry but I didn't think they were bad by any means.

Agreed on JMo, shaking 1st period but settled in nicely and started doing what he does best which is imposing himself offensively and head manning the puck cleanly.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Seriously. Man was i ever worked up during that overtime. I think we actually have a good team for the 3v3, and dominated most of the overtime against the wild. It's too bad they were able to sneak that one in on Helle.

I found the 3 vs. 3 more entertaining than the SO, while having the same level of heart-attack inducement. I'd prefer to see it settled on skill AND hockey play, rather than just skill. I quite liked it - gimmicky, but not as much as the SO.

Yea with the SO it seems like things slow way down and its a dramatic skills competition as opposed to the 3v3 where everything speeds up and it is this crazy end to end action on steroids. They are both Gimicky but one is still a team based gimmick and it is fast and flashes all the skills, while the other is stop and start and is a 1v0 showdown.

3v3 is gold and will sell tickets but its going to give me a heart attack :laugh:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
It'll be interesting if Ehlers and Petan both make the team. I don't think it's likely, but we could see Lowry centre the 4th line then. Imagine that depth.

Lowry on the 4th line????
Really????

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
How would Ehlers and Petan move Lowry down to 4th line? I would guess Petan moves to the wing, having no impact on Lowry at all.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Maurice today basically said it's Little Scheif Lowry down the middle. He wasn't talking about the 4th line for any of them.

Yup... Maurice indicated Little, Scheifele and Lowry down the middle as the top-3 C, with Burmi playing the role that Frolik had last year (starting on RW with Ladd and Little). Nice thing is that Burmi can play C, if needed, so he's a bit more versatile than Frolik.

The big question is really the 4th line. I think the top-9 is getting set.

Ladd-Little-Burmi
Stafford-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Lowry-Ehlers

I think Thorbs sticks around on the 4th line. The battle for the other two spots has Copp, Petan, Armia, Raffl, Halischuk and Lemieux. Lemieux might be a long shot because of his age / stage.

Peluso might step in for Thorbs in certain games.

The nice thing is that the Jets could ice two 4th lines better than any previous 4th line.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Really????

It would have to be him once Connor, Petan, and Ehlers are full-time NHLers. I'd package Perreault/Stafford and some excess forward prospects or picks for a top 6 upgrade -> again I like Perreault, but there's too many smalls.

1. Wheeler
2. Ladd
3. Little
4. Scheifele
5. Ehlers
6. Petan
7. Connor
8. Burmistrov
9. Trade (top six upgrade)

Makes up the top 9.

Lemieux, Lowry, and another player (prospect or fa) fills out the 4th line.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It would have to be him once Connor, Petan, and Ehlers are full-time NHLers. I'd package Perreault/Stafford and some excess forward prospects or picks for a top 6 upgrade -> again I like Perreault, but there's too many smalls.

1. Wheeler
2. Ladd
3. Little
4. Scheifele
5. Ehlers
6. Petan
7. Connor
8. Burmistrov
9. Trade (top six upgrade)

Makes up the top 9.

Lemieux, Lowry, and another player (prospect or fa) fills out the 4th line.

If Lowry continues to develop, then I think we'll see one of the others moved - maybe Burmi or Petan. If both of them look really good, we might even see the Jets move Little before his next contract (due after 3 seasons).

SantaYnez*

Ehlers wasn't anything special last night. The best player by far was Raffl and it should worry fans that these so called future Jets with expectations perform or this entire organization is in ruin.

Morrissey looked lost all game. Petan did the same.

Armia didn't even show up.

Wheeler looked like he is searching for career season. Great skating and looked poised getting in posistion.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Ehlers wasn't anything special last night. The best player by far was Raffl and it should worry fans that these so called future Jets with expectations perform or this entire organization is in ruin.

Wheeler looked like he is searching for career season. Great skating and looked poised getting in posistion.

:huh: Interesting take..Can't say I share similar views except maybe on Wheeler.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Ehlers looked dangerous all night, and didn't look at all out of place.

Raffl was fine, but saying he was the best player by far is completely overselling him. :shakehead

I agree that Morrissey struggled early, but was better later on. Still, I think he needs some time at the AHL level like most 20 year old defensemen.

Petan was okay, considering he had to play with Raffl and Thorburn.

Armia was fine, but needs to increase his intensity.

Wheeler was good offensively, but characteristically a bit lost in his own zone.

SantaYnez*

Ehlers was not outstanding. He was pushed off the puck all night. [mod]

Raffl was by far the best prospect and not even close.

Last edited by a moderator:

SantaYnez*

Anyone know the music that was played following the OT loss? sounded like a Johnny Cash song about broken hearts?

That song was perfect for that ending.

If anyone knows. Please post.

SantaYnez*

Do you know what the goal song and team intro will be this year? any song from top gun would be great.

or do we leave that for the white out games?

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Ehlers was not outstanding. He was pushed off the puck all night. [mod]

Raffl was by far the best prospect and not even close.

Raffl isn't considered a prospect, FYI. He is a 29 year-old professional hockey player that you are comparing to young adults hoping to begin their professional careers. The reason he stood out against them should perhaps have been self-evident, no?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I was impressed by the Wheeler and Burmi lines all night. Not saying they made no mistakes.

I was very underwhelmed by the Copp and Petan lines, no one really did anything to standout IMO.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Really????

How would Ehlers and Petan move Lowry down to 4th line? I would guess Petan moves to the wing, having no impact on Lowry at all.

I was thinking if Petan and Ehlers both make it, they're getting top-9 roles. Petan probably slots in at wing, bumping Burmistrov to 3C and Lowry to 4C. Again, I think Petan is a long shot to make it this year (at least if last night's line combos are any indication).

I don't dislike Lowry, I just don't think he has anywhere near the offense to play a top-6 role. He has never been a bigger scorer in junior either. He's a decent third liner right now. Nothing more. He'd be an amazing 4th liner though (but not at all unrealistic IMO). Players playing below their talent level is a sign of a deep team (see Ladd and Frolik in Chicago).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad