Post-Game Talk: Wild @ Jets • Mon Sep 22 • 7PM • MTS Centre • "Hockey's Back!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Its not about deterrent. That is a fallacy and one that people who don't care for fighting like to use

It is about you and your teammates and how you feel as a group. Thorburn is on the ice so Ehlers can do what he needs to do and know that he has someone out there that can and will stand up for him

I used to go into PA back in the late 80s. They had Mike Modano. But you didn't care about that. You cared about the collection of some of the biggest,scariest guys you could ever play against. Darin Kimble,Reid Simpson,Dean Kolstad,Shawn Byram and Rich Pilon. People got the PA flu all the time in the 80s. I can't tell you the effect that has a player or group of players. We were scared before the game started.

Wouldn't the bolded go right out the winder when Thorburn didn't stand up for him.

Aside...

The stuff in the last paragraph isn't hockey. It is a sideshow and one I am glad the league put an end to. Their work isn't done though. I would also like the league to step up and remove this issue. There is no reason a team should have to dress a bad hockey player to self police.

Policing the game is the job of the league and the refs. I'd love to see skill players in those spots. It would open up the game AND protect players.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Bogo was bad relative to his icetime and pairing. He just makes so many bad reads without the puck.He's lucky he's so athletic or we wouldn't even be talking about him.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Its not about deterrent. That is a fallacy and one that people who don't care for fighting like to use

It is about you and your teammates and how you feel as a group. Thorburn is on the ice so Ehlers can do what he needs to do and know that he has someone out there that can and will stand up for him

I used to go into PA back in the late 80s. They had Mike Modano. But you didn't care about that. You cared about the collection of some of the biggest,scariest guys you could ever play against. Darin Kimble,Reid Simpson,Dean Kolstad,Shawn Byram and Rich Pilon. People got the PA flu all the time in the 80s. I can't tell you the effect that has a player or group of players. We were scared before the game started.

Thorburn didn't stand up for him. Didn't help him play hockey either.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I have a feeling that Bogo is going to this season's whipping boy on the D with Buff playing a forward and people starting to see what great work Enstrom does

Last edited:

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
Bogo was bad relative to his icetime and pairing. He just makes so many bad reads without the puck.He's lucky he's so athletic or we wouldn't even be talking about him.

Agreed. He was awful.

And whats with the beard? Thinking a playoff beard at the start of the season will get them in the playoffs? :laugh:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Bogo needs to put the last two seasons behind him and stick to a simple style of play, if he doesn't make some advances in his career this season his contract is going to look bad on Chevy. Realistically Bogo is a bottom pairing D man on a playoff calibre team, lets hope he proves otherwise this season!

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Lowry impressed me the most of the youngsters. I'm still in the Hutch corner but was nice to see Pav holding on to pucks more

Hopefully the other young'ns can show their stuff vs the Oilers

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I liked Lowry, but I really hope we send him back to the A to develop his offensive game. I've said this ever since we drafted him, but he's a guy that needs to be pushed. He can get complacent because he's smart and strong and can play a good defensive game, but he needs the push from coaching because he can do much more than that. We saw it in junior when the team was down and needed scoring he stepped up (to the tne of contributing to something ~40% of his team's overall scoring) and did it. We started seeing it last year in St. Johns, when skill guys got injured and we needed scoring Lowry started doing it. I hope he can be given a top 6 role on the rock and have point production as an emphasis placed on him from the coaching staff.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Bogo needs to put the last two seasons behind him and stick to a simple style of play, if he doesn't make some advances in his career this season his contract is going to look bad on Chevy. Realistically Bogo is a bottom pairing D man on a playoff calibre team, lets hope he proves otherwise this season!

Paul Postma is a bottom pairing defenseman.

Keaton Ellerby is bottom pairing, so is Mark Stuart.

Bogosian is better than all of them in every category. Bogosian is #4 at the absolute worst on a playoff team, and that would be an incredibly stacked defebsice core.

He's not the top pairing defenseman we hoped he would be but to call his play the last few seasons bottom pairing calibre is inaccurate. If he played like that we would have done a whole lot worse.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think Ehlers looked like he was trying to prove he could take the physical pounding. He couldn't. He was clearly worn down as the game progressed. If he is going to play in the NHL he needs to learn to better avoid it to protect himself. Chalk it up to no sleep the night before, nerves and excitement. He will have to be a lot better, a lot better to have any chance at all of even getting a few games. That in spite of a few really nice plays early on.

Morrissey was much better than in the 'Young Stars'. Much. So was Kichton, showed some offense and was OK defensively.

Bogo had a great game although he did fade a little later on (but so did the whole team).

Pavelec kept them in the game, credit where it is due. Hutchinson faced the more dangerous shots and was great.

Lowry got my attention. His physical play was great but there wasn't enough else. He could certainly improve our 4th line but he needs another year in the A to develop his offense or just to develop.

Petan fit right in, he was invisible much of the time ... in a good way. No mistakes, just doing his job. When he was noticed he was making good plays. If he keeps that up he makes the team, IMO.

Little was the best Jet, maybe the best player in the game. He is so underrated!

The PP certainly looks improved but it still took Buff to put it in the net. We need to get more PP scoring from the rest of the team. The PK looked great. They were more dangerous playing a man short than they were 5v5. Speaking of 5v5, it was just bad. It will be interesting to see how well those special teams do against NHL lineups.

All-in-all not a good game by the Jets. They managed just 8 shots in the last 2 periods. The goatlending saved the game for us.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I don't get it.
"Petan was invisible"
Is everywhere in the news and blogs and boards.
Didn't he win face offs? Clean and messy?
I saw at least 4 tape to tape passes, one a backhand saucer pass at flat out rush over 2 opponents sticks!!!!!
I saw at least 2 creative tape to tape passes into the slot that generated quality goal chances.
I saw him strip pucks and check effectively.
How is any of that invisible?
No he didn't score but as the fancy stats guys will tell you he pushed play and generated shots.

Did I watch a different game?

Lowry? Beast!!!!

Ehlers? I thought he looked pretty weak NHL start, could be nerves but I think he needs more time.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Was at the game last night.

Ehlers looked like a guy that needs some time to adjust to the NHL. The skill and vision is there. Needs to figure out how to play his game at the NHL level.

Petan didn't stand out to me. He was fine on the pp, but didn't attack much 5v5, iirc.

Bogo was more aggressive offensively, which I like to see. Just not convinced a Toby-Bogo pairing works. Toby didn't seem that effective. I just don't see the chemistry or effectiveness with that pairing. But still early in training camp, so no panic here.

Pavs had only 1 or 2 quality shots, but made the saves. That was good. Hutch faced tougher chances and looked good, IMO.

Really liked Lowry's game. Can see him on a 3rd line with Perreault and Frolik to start the season if he continues to play like that. I think Lowry could score 10+ goals this year, and push for 20 (per season) during his career. I personally, would have him on the wing, but that may just be me.

Was disappointed in Klingberg. Guy has some speed and decent aggression on the forecheck, but would not put up any points at the NHL level. His shot last night was well below average. Didn't play much, because he wasn't all that effective, IMO. Looks to be headed to A, and likely clears waivers.

Kichton needs more work with the IceCaps.

Perreault looked a bit sluggish, but is a smarter player than Olli, so that's still an upgrade for me.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I don't get it.
"Petan was invisible"
Is everywhere in the news and blogs and boards.
Didn't he win face offs? Clean and messy?
I saw at least 4 tape to tape passes, one a backhand saucer pass at flat out rush over 2 opponents sticks!!!!!
I saw at least 2 creative tape to tape passes into the slot that generated quality goal chances.
I saw him strip pucks and check effectively.
How is any of that invisible?
No he didn't score but as the fancy stats guys will tell you he pushed play and generated shots.

Did I watch a different game?

Lowry? Beast!!!!

Ehlers? I thought he looked pretty weak NHL start, could be nerves but I think he needs more time.

Didn't see the same from Petan as you did. Not saying those things didn't happen, just didn't notice them. He did move the puck effectively on the pp, and showed creative passing, but don't remember those chances 5v5.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Lot's of great comments on the game and prospects so far.

I'm not going to re-iterate some of the things already said, but one thing that stood out to me, was that at some point in the game, I got the confidence that all 4 of the prospects (Morrissey, Lowry, Petan, and Ehlers), were all going to be NHL'rs at some point in their careers. And that was a great feeling, because 2 of those guys are non 1st round picks. Don't get me wrong, I've always been high on these guys, but I just got the feeling watching them last night, that I really think they will all "make it". Now, what those timelines are, I don't know.

The other cool feeling I got last night while watching the game, was either on the 2nd PP, or sometimes in the game when I would see (and hear), "Petan, over to Morrissey, over to Ehlers", etc, etc. Not that I didn't fall in love with the Jets before the ink was dry on the papers of the sale, but I was getting the feeling that I was seeing more of the "Winnipeg" Jets. Might be silly, but seeing those guys play, it was for some reason giving me some enjoyment and thrill as those guys being some of Winnipegs draft picks.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I'm not going to re-iterate some of the things already said, but one thing that stood out to me, was that at some point in the game, I got the confidence that all 4 of the prospects (Morrissey, Lowry, Petan, and Ehlers), were all going to be NHL'rs at some point in their careers. And that was a great feeling, because 2 of those guys are non 1st round picks. Don't get me wrong, I've always been high on these guys, but I just got the feeling watching them last night, that I really think they will all "make it". Now, what those timelines are, I don't know.

The other cool feeling I got last night while watching the game, was either on the 2nd PP, or sometimes in the game when I would see (and hear), "Petan, over to Morrissey, over to Ehlers", etc, etc. Not that I didn't fall in love with the Jets before the ink was dry on the papers of the sale, but I was getting the feeling that I was seeing more of the "Winnipeg" Jets. Might be silly, but seeing those guys play, it was for some reason giving me some enjoyment and thrill as those guys being some of Winnipegs draft picks.

I get the same feeling. Them, Trouba and Scheifele are the first true wave of developed Jets. They definitely provide a glimpse if the way this org wants to play.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I agree with you Mortimer, I think Little was the best player on the ice last night.

I was actually a bit disappointed with Ladd-Little-Buff. Thought they were outplayed at times by the Wild opposing line. Thought they would dominate a 'weaker' line up much more. Wild did not bring many regulars last night. Ladd-Little-Frolik showed more and created a bit more pressure. But the game was sloppy, and Ladd and Little didn't create a lot of scoring chances.

Still early in camp, but had me scratching my head a bit. Sounded like Maurice wanted the team to be fatigued going in to the game, and they looked like that at times.

Really liked Coyle's game. Kid can play.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

That second PP unit was as effective as any. Their passing around the zone was a thing of beauty although they didn't always get a quality shot on net. Certainly 2-3 of those guys can fit into our PP now and certainly would/should if they made the club. Petan in particular seems to be that guy that plays well with the puck distributing it from the side wall -- something the Jets sorely have lacked.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005

Definitely get the same feeling, Huffer. It's nice. It's exciting, I love watching these kids, be it Scheifele and Trouba, or seeing Morrissey, Lowry, Petan and seeing their growth and development on display in comparison to last year, for example. Or getting our first look at Ehlers.

I think we've got a good group of prospects here, and truth be told a group of them appear to have a nice "safe" factor to them (to make the NHL) to go with their talents. That bodes well for the Winnipeg Jets.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
[randomnote]I am having fun talking hockey again. It's nice to have the Jets back and the season beginning. I like our team. I like our young players. :nod: :D[/randomnote]

I am having fun being on a board with Guerzy on it again.

:bighug:

bobbyt911

Soo thoughts on Ehlers 1st preseason game? IMO he wasn't what I expected from his rep.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Soo thoughts on Ehlers 1st preseason game? IMO he wasn't what I expected from his rep.

You can definitely see the advertised skill speed and vision in that game IMO, he still needs time to adjust to the NHL game and get stronger.

I don't think he'll get 9 regular season games, though. He still needs to get stronger if last night is any indication.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

He showed flashes of having elite skill level, like when he took the puck down the left wing and around the net to then set up Klingberg from the slot. He was able to almost glide past a defender on his shoulder with his speed. Very few players can make that play. I also really liked his poise on the power play. He was able to use space and didn't panic with the puck. He showed good vision.

But he had some rough spots. He looked fatigued. That might come from 3 hard days of training camp and then matching up with big players at the NHL pace of play. When he gets more strength and endurance he'll be able to make plays throughout the game. He might not be ready this season, but once he has the strength and stamina I think he'll be a top-end player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad