Post-Game Talk: Wild @ Jets • Mon Sep 22 • 7PM • MTS Centre • "Hockey's Back!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyt911

You can definitely see the advertised skill speed and vision in that game IMO, he still needs time to adjust to the NHL game and get stronger.

I don't think he'll get 9 regular season games, though. He still needs to get stronger if last night is any indication.

He showed flashes of having elite skill level, like when he took the puck down the left wing and around the net to then set up Klingberg from the slot. He was able to almost glide past a defender on his shoulder with his speed. Very few players can make that play. I also really liked his poise on the power play. He was able to use space and didn't panic with the puck. He showed good vision.

But he had some rough spots. He looked fatigued. That might come from 3 hard days of training camp and then matching up with big players at the NHL pace of play. When he gets more strength and endurance he'll be able to make plays throughout the game. He might not be ready this season, but once he has the strength and stamina I think he'll be a top-end player.

He did look quick tho, well composed with the puck as well. Obvious that he needs to add some strength but thats expected coming out draft yr. I expect an almost mirror image with Nylander tonight.

jetkarma*

Soo thoughts on Ehlers 1st preseason game? IMO he wasn't what I expected from his rep.

I don't think he played poorly at all .

I suspect many expected he instantly produce and dominate in stretches. Most are saying he played better the first part of the game as opposed to the last, but virtually all the Jets fit that description . Two shots in the third was it? That's indicative of team play , and yes it could have been fatigue.

Ehlers will need better players to take advantage of his talents , and those players will need to learn to put themselves into positive positions to maximize the room he gets and provides and we saw some of that last night . For example, Buff likes to carry the puck and often goes behind the net with it , Ehlers is MUCH better at carrying it with more speed and cutting into the slot and getting a lethal , sudden shot away , or if that is defensed then he goes wide or around the net and produces much better chances by passing the puck significantly better. We saw some of that last night , enough for me to know he'll replicate a lot of what he does at the JR level at the NHL level at some point. Maybe not right know but it will happen. I'd be concerned if that wasn't evident , but imo it certainly was.

I expect we see more Wednesday if he plays and again , it would be great to see finish but that isn't the sole thing that will tell us what we need to know imo .

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Soo thoughts on Ehlers 1st preseason game? IMO he wasn't what I expected from his rep.

He's a step or two above Nylander, that's for sure. :sarcasm:

Talented, fast, good with the puck, but probably too light to stick with the team this year. Comes as advertised - very exciting prospect.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
I watched very little of the game last night but made a point of watching Ehlers. He's definitely not ready for the NHL. Couple giveaways, one was very Burmistrov-like. Some floating on the back check.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about him as a prospect, but he needs more development before the bigs.

jetkarma*

I watched very little of the game last night but made a point of watching Ehlers. He's definitely not ready for the NHL. Couple giveaways, one was very Burmistrov-like. Some floating on the back check.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about him as a prospect, but he needs more development before the bigs.

You saw this from watching very little of the game?

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
I don't get it.
"Petan was invisible"
Is everywhere in the news and blogs and boards.
Didn't he win face offs? Clean and messy?
I saw at least 4 tape to tape passes, one a backhand saucer pass at flat out rush over 2 opponents sticks!!!!!
I saw at least 2 creative tape to tape passes into the slot that generated quality goal chances.
I saw him strip pucks and check effectively.
How is any of that invisible?
No he didn't score but as the fancy stats guys will tell you he pushed play and generated shots.

Did I watch a different game?

Lowry? Beast!!!!

Ehlers? I thought he looked pretty weak NHL start, could be nerves but I think he needs more time.

I think people tend to focus on high profile events eg. dangles, big hits, etc rather than positioning, smart passes, zone entries, etc

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I am having fun being on a board with Guerzy on it again.

:bighug:

Thanks, Jet. Right back at you. Not that you ever left, but I noticed your posting has gone up and that's good to!

:5:

jetkarma*

It's only what I saw from him. Basically it was 2 shifts but back to back shifts of the same style/mistakes.

Wouldn't want to base an opinion on that especially if those shifts were the latter part of the game where most of the Jets played very similarly.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Just as I thought it was really premature to anoint Ehlers a top 9 forward after the Young Stars tourney, it's pretty premature to say he has no chance after one pre-season game.

I still think it's going to get harder for him as the quality of players increase as the games go along. His chances of making the team are miniscule as they were before rookie camp started.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Just as I thought it was really premature to anoint Ehlers a top 9 forward after the Young Stars tourney, it's pretty premature to say he has no chance after one pre-season game.

I still think it's going to get harder for him as the quality of players increase as the games go along. His chances of making the team are miniscule as they were before rookie camp started.

I thought his speed and skill would give him a fighting chance to crack the line up this fall.

Even though he controlled the puck well in offensive zone, at times, he didn't seem to mesh with Perreault or Thorbs. He also took long shifts, a few times, and seemed to want to wind up with the puck and try to go coast to coast, a couple of times. If he didn't like what he saw, he fed it back to the d. That style seemed to be a bit different than what Jets normally do in moving the puck quickly through the neutral zone.

Will be interesting to see whether his style adapts to the 'NHL game' a bit more in the coming weeks.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

As an 18 year old, I thought he looked pretty good. To me it looks quite evident that he has some elite skills, and I don't have many concerns that he won't be an NHLr at some point.

Its very rare for 18 year olds to make the NHL, so in the event he doesn't, I don't think that says anything negative about him.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I think it's good he faced some adversity (Ehlers) If he is ready he'll rise to the occasion. I'll have my popcorn ready to watch :)

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I think people tend to focus on high profile events eg. dangles, big hits, etc rather than positioning, smart passes, zone entries, etc

That's why I think Petan is going to make the team. He went out and got it done, no fancy stuff just forcing play and being responsible/effective in all three zones.
Everyone talked about being defensively sound and just letting the offence come when it comes. Petan did that all night long.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
I thought his speed and skill would give him a fighting chance to crack the line up this fall.

Even though he controlled the puck well in offensive zone, at times, he didn't seem to mesh with Perreault or Thorbs. He also took long shifts, a few times, and seemed to want to wind up with the puck and try to go coast to coast, a couple of times. If he didn't like what he saw, he fed it back to the d. That style seemed to be a bit different than what Jets normally do in moving the puck quickly through the neutral zone.

Will be interesting to see whether his style adapts to the 'NHL game' a bit more in the coming weeks.
You are right he plays a more puck possesion style game a lot like Burmistrov the main diference is he goes to the net in the offensive zone and Burmi stays on the perimeter.He would instantly mesh with some other teams that play that style,but in winnipeg he will have to adapt to the high speed no hands very little puck movement style the jets play.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
I think it's good he faced some adversity (Ehlers) If he is ready he'll rise to the occasion. I'll have my popcorn ready to watch :)

topopcorn.gif

:sarcasm::handclap::laugh:
Getcha popcorn ready.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
You are right he plays a more puck possesion style game a lot like Burmistrov the main diference is he goes to the net in the offensive zone and Burmi stays on the perimeter.He would instantly mesh with some other teams that play that style,but in winnipeg he will have to adapt to the high speed no hands very little puck movement style the jets play.

I like his style, and would love to see the Jets adopt that type of play a la the Red Wings. Though, we're not built to play that style. He does bring some Patty Kane elements to the Jets though. Especially his willingness to carry the puck through traffic and gain the zone. Like to see them use him as a stretch player as well. With his speed, he can put a lot of pressure on the opposing d.

jetkarma*

I like his style, and would love to see the Jets adopt that type of play a la the Red Wings. Though, we're not built to play that style. He does bring some Patty Kane elements to the Jets though. Especially his willingness to carry the puck through traffic and gain the zone. Like to see them use him as a stretch player as well. With his speed, he can put a lot of pressure on the opposing d.

I think we need to look at what's ahead not what is behind in regards to this.

Scheifele, Frolik , Kane, Wheeler , Little , Petan,Copp and to lesser extents Buff , Ladd and Perreault all can mesh with the type of game and capitalize on the opportunities Ehlers will create.

If/when teams take away some of his space it will transfer to the other players on the ice including D jumping into the play like Kitchton did in Penticton to score. Trouba , Morrissey, and other defensemen will benifit as will the forwards. It will take time , both if Ehlers needs more to be ready and for his team mates to maximize the chances he'll create.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad