GDT: Wild @ Flames - April 15 7:00 PM, SNET-W, FAN960

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Getting Jones wouldn't be the end of the world:

TJ Brodie (L) - Seth Jones (R)

I mean, come on, in 3-4 years that'd be the best top pairing in the league more or less.

I know I was being sarcastic, this draft has so many directions it could go in. If Jones slip down to us and we grabbed him we would seriously have to wheel something up to get another pick in the top 10 to grab someone like monohan.

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
At this point I really dont care about the past this team has had in the last few years. I love seeing the young blood on the ice and a fresh new look for this team. Even if the next few years dont bring amazing results, I think we are on the right track with this rebuild.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Just from watching his interviews, Hanowski's personality is exactly the same as Reinhart's. Really serious guy, no smiling no emotion at all. Not as many "uhms..." and "uhhs" as Reinhart though. Rocking somewhat similar hair as well.

Just something I found interesting.

If he wants to stick full time next year, his skating needs to get better. He looked kind of slow. I also wouldn't mind if he threw around the body a little more. It's his first game, but those are the things he needs to look to improve on.

clearly shows the captain materials in these guys. Really serious about business all the time.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
clearly shows the captain materials in these guys. Really serious about business all the time.

Thats what I thought when I watched his interviews, he looks very composed all the time, even when he scored. He's the kind of player where if he can work himself into the top 6 I would think he would be the captain of the team one day. If I remember correctly, he was the captain of his NCAA team too right?

Anybody else read about how good his teammates and coach were about the trade? His coach in a huddle the next day at practice, he was like 'So how many guys got traded for a future HHOFer last night?'

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Fans mean very little lol.
Both Florida and Colorado will take Seth if they have the chance. There's no questioning it.

Okay. Look at it from their team's standpoint. Their number 1 center is Shawn Matthias. Sure they have Bjustad and Shore but Mackinnon would probably overtake them both immediately.

On defense they already have Kulikov, Gudbranson and some vets, with Petrovic still coming up.

They could take Jones but don't be surprised if they take Mackinnon

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
1. My TJ Brodie Jersey during the training camp sale looks like a better purchase every day :handclap:

2. We need to re-sign Backlund for 2+ years lead the team in shots once again (5), as well as hits (2), and he's looking great beside the younger guys Hartley has been throwing on his line (just like when he started the year with Sven).

Two guys I really wanted to see take that next step this year.

Trae

Calgary
Fans mean very little lol.
Both Florida and Colorado will take Seth if they have the chance. There's no questioning it.

Colorado is likely to take Jones or Drouin, not sure why you think Florida takes Jones? They need a top line center, too, huberdeau on the wing. I think it's very likely they target MacKinnon.

And no, Brodie/Jones would likely not be the best pairing in the league, top 10 maybe.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Colorado is likely to take Jones or Drouin, not sure why you think Florida takes Jones? They need a top line center, too, huberdeau on the wing. I think it's very likely they target MacKinnon.

And no, Brodie/Jones would likely not be the best pairing in the league, top 10 maybe.

I think if Jone's development is steady, in 3-4 years Jones - Brodie could easily be top-5 if not top-3.

TylerSVT*

I think if Jone's development is steady, in 3-4 years Jones - Brodie could easily be top-5 if not top-3.

Just no.

Brodie is a long shot to be a top 2 d man on a contender.

Right now he would be a 3/4 type guy.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Apparently people need to learn to read. I said in 3-4 years. Brodie took a huge step this year and is probably a 2-3 if he develops from here on out. If people are correct about Jones' development, then he should be one of the best in the League.

In a few years, I think that, that pair could contend with Chicago/St.Louis as having the top pairing in the league.

Also, whoever gets the first overall pick in this years draft will take Jones. I don't know why you're kidding yourself, along with other people about skipping out on him.
Have to look further than the viewpoint of a fan here.

In the case of Florida, you're a C-D grade NHL franchise. You get the chance to get an American consensus first overall prospect. You guys have to be kidding that anyone passes up on Seth this draft.
If it goes Florida-Colorado-Calgary

It will be
Seth - Drouin/Mack - Mack/Drouin/Barkov

Unless Florida can get Stastny and some other juicy bonuses out of Colorado to move down.

Last edited:

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Just no.

Brodie is a long shot to be a top 2 d man on a contender.

Right now he would be a 3/4 type guy.

You need to READ!

I agree, 'right now' he is a 3/4 guy... I said in 3 - 4years, a Jones - Brodie pairing could be a top 5 pairing the NHL... With all the hype that surrounds Jones, and seeing Brodie's phenomenal development, it's not that big of a stretch...

Again, please read before responding.

Thumper17

Jun 27, 2011
1. My TJ Brodie Jersey during the training camp sale looks like a better purchase every day :handclap:

2. We need to re-sign Backlund for 2+ years lead the team in shots once again (5), as well as hits (2), and he's looking great beside the younger guys Hartley has been throwing on his line (just like when he started the year with Sven).

Two guys I really wanted to see take that next step this year.

There is a far more serious problem if two hits leads the team. We need offensive physicality. People need to finish their checks. They need to hit more. I want people bruised and broken after playing here. That's how it should be.

Trae

Calgary
Apparently people need to learn to read. I said in 3-4 years. Brodie took a huge step this year and is probably a 2-3 if he develops from here on out. If people are correct about Jones' development, then he should be one of the best in the League.

In a few years, I think that, that pair could contend with Chicago/St.Louis as having the top pairing in the league.

Also, whoever gets the first overall pick in this years draft will take Jones. I don't know why you're kidding yourself, along with other people about skipping out on him.
Have to look further than the viewpoint of a fan here.

In the case of Florida, you're a C-D grade NHL franchise. You get the chance to get an American consensus first overall prospect. You guys have to be kidding that anyone passes up on Seth this draft.
If it goes Florida-Colorado-Calgary

It will be
Seth - Drouin/Mack - Mack/Drouin/Barkov

Unless Florida can get Stastny and some other juicy bonuses out of Colorado to move down.

I can read just fine, I understand you meant in a few years. I still disagree. I don't disagree, however, that Jones could be one of the top defenseman in the league, I just simply don't think Brodie will hold up his end of the "top line" part. He's been playing great this year, don't get me wrong, I just don't want to get ahead of ourselves. This is a small argument though, not really an interesting topic of discussion.

I'm not going to debate who takes Jones or where, we'll just have to see how everything plays out. I stand by Florida taking Mac and Colorado taking Jones/Drouin if either of them pick first.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Just from watching his interviews, Hanowski's personality is exactly the same as Reinhart's. Really serious guy, no smiling no emotion at all. Not as many "uhms..." and "uhhs" as Reinhart though. Rocking somewhat similar hair as well.

Just something I found interesting.

If he wants to stick full time next year, his skating needs to get better. He looked kind of slow. I also wouldn't mind if he threw around the body a little more. It's his first game, but those are the things he needs to look to improve on.

I agree wholeheartedly. He did look kind of slow. I loved that he crashes the net though. Nice shot as well. Kind of reminds me of a poor man's Dave Andreychuk. A very poor man's granted, but similar style and skill set. Similar weakness too.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I can read just fine, I understand you meant in a few years. I still disagree. I don't disagree, however, that Jones could be one of the top defenseman in the league, I just simply don't think Brodie will hold up his end of the "top line" part. He's been playing great this year, don't get me wrong, I just don't want to get ahead of ourselves. This is a small argument though, not really an interesting topic of discussion.

I'm not going to debate who takes Jones or where, we'll just have to see how everything plays out. I stand by Florida taking Mac and Colorado taking Jones/Drouin if either of them pick first.

No way on earth does Colorado even consider anyone but Jones if he's on the board. He's exactly what they need. I think there is a chance Florida takes Mackinnon or Drouin. Not Colorado though.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

I'm pretty confident given the chance the Panthers take Mac and the Avs take Jones. Those players fill the most pressing need for each team.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm pretty confident given the chance the Panthers take Mac and the Avs take Jones. Those players fill the most pressing need for each team.
I think the Panthers could use Drouin more than MacKinnon. They have Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Grimaldi, Shore and Rau as prospects in the organization. They have pretty much no good winger prospects.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I think the Panthers could use Drouin more than MacKinnon. They have Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Grimaldi, Shore and Rau as prospects in the organization. They have pretty much no good winger prospects.

Huberdeau has been playing left wing and will be staying a winger from what I have heard. Bjugstand is there only good center prospect. With everything I am hearing from the Panthers I would be shocked if they didn't take Mac if he's available.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Huberdeau has been playing left wing and will be staying a winger from what I have heard. Bjugstand is there only good center prospect. With everything I am hearing from the Panthers I would be shocked if they didn't take Mac if he's available.

Agree. If they have the first overall pick, there is no way they pass over Jones, but second overall and they certainly take Mackinnon. They pass over Drouin for the fact that he is a highly skilled, sometimes flashy player, one could argue similar to Huberdeau. I am one of the few Flames fans that want Drouin a lot so I would be happy to see us take him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad