GDT: Wild @ Flames - April 15 7:00 PM, SNET-W, FAN960

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Agree. If they have the first overall pick, there is no way they pass over Jones, but second overall and they certainly take Mackinnon. They pass over Drouin for the fact that he is a highly skilled, sometimes flashy player, one could argue similar to Huberdeau. I am one of the few Flames fans that want Drouin a lot so I would be happy to see us take him.

I dont think the Panthers take Jones over Mac. They have a solid defense with some top notch young guys there, they dont need Jones over a possible franchise center.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Agree. If they have the first overall pick, there is no way they pass over Jones, but second overall and they certainly take Mackinnon. They pass over Drouin for the fact that he is a highly skilled, sometimes flashy player, one could argue similar to Huberdeau. I am one of the few Flames fans that want Drouin a lot so I would be happy to see us take him.

Whoever has first will take Jones, I'm not even questioning it anymore. Whether it be Florida/Avs/Calgary or a team that wins the lottery this year.

If Calgary can just stay put right now, and not move from 3rd last (unless they want to go to 2nd or dead last) they'd be in really great condition.

If it goes FLA-COL-CGY-X: Jones - Mack/Drouin - Mack/Drouin/Barkov - Barkov/Drouin
If it goes COL-FLA-CGY-X: Jones - Mack - Drouin/Barkov - Drouin/Barkov
If it goes X-FLA-COL-CGY: Jones - Mack - Drouin - Barkov

Really I don't see a losing scenario. Even though I'm really not high on Drouin at all, it wouldn't be the end of the world seeing him in a Calgary jersey. One way or another, the first rounder this year will be quality as hell.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Also, everyone thinking Florida will pass over Jones because they need the offensive player/center. Just have to look back last year for an example. People were shouting for the Oil to grab Murray because their defense blew and they already had 3 mega high end young offensive talents.

They still went for the consensus first overall. BTW, just to put into perspective, so you guys aren't just looking at TSN and saying; "hell Seth right here, Mack right behind him, switching 2 and 1 isn't a big deal." Jones is a runaway first pick. Almost every ranking system, scout and analyst has him as the best player in this draft. It's not a 50/50, or even a 25/75 type deal.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Also, everyone thinking Florida will pass over Jones because they need the offensive player/center. Just have to look back last year for an example. People were shouting for the Oil to grab Murray because their defense blew and they already had 3 mega high end young offensive talents.

Difference is that the Panthers are run by a good GM and not an Old Boys idiot club. I will be shocked if they took Jones over Mac. Tallon will take the player he thinks will be the most useful for his club, and thats Mac.

Turrican*

Aren't you guys going to be happy when this team is finally out of our division?

hahavr.jpg

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Difference is that the Panthers are run by a good GM and not an Old Boys idiot club. I will be shocked if they took Jones over Mac. Tallon will take the player he thinks will be the most useful for his club, and thats Mac.

I wouldn't. Gudbranson has not been great thus far and other than Kulikov they don't have a lot in the pipe in terms of high-end defenders, they do have some nice pieces though.

I think I would be more surprised if they took Mackinnon actually, but really neither would be a shock.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

You mean the Florida Blackhawks right?
Kidding.

Tallon has some pedigree, he is decent at rebuilds, but as I previously stated, and will continue. Who ever gets first overall will pick Jones.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I just feel like turning back the clock to a year ago, and seeing some of you guys debate Oilers taking Murray instead of Yak; because he fill s role better.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Aren't you guys going to be happy when this team is finally out of our division?

I think so, but then again, next year when we're looking up at the three California teams and Vancouver; I'll probably change my tune lol.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I just feel like turning back the clock to a year ago, and seeing some of you guys debate Oilers taking Murray instead of Yak; because he fill s role better.

Again it comes down to Tallon actually has a clue on running an organization and the Oilers don't. Completely different circumstances.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010

They still went for the consensus first overall. BTW, just to put into perspective, so you guys aren't just looking at TSN and saying; "hell Seth right here, Mack right behind him, switching 2 and 1 isn't a big deal." Jones is a runaway first pick. Almost every ranking system, scout and analyst has him as the best player in this draft. It's not a 50/50, or even a 25/75 type deal.
Difference is, by draft time they were pretty certain they were gonna make a good pitch for Shultz and they did end up getting him.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Any organization that isn't a complete mess will take the prospect that is considered to the best player available and who projects to have the best potential. If by draft day teams feel that Jones is head and shoulders above anyone else, they'll pick him regardless of team needs.

The Oilers were right in picking Yakupov since he is without a doubt a better prospect with a much higher ceiling than Murray. There mistake was in not trading from a position of strength (forwards) to address a position of weakness (defense). If Tallon feels that Jones is the best player on the draft day, he'll pick him even if he already has Kulikov and Gudbranson. But, since he isn't Tambellini and is capable of actually making a decision, he'll then proceed to trade one of his defensemen, like Gudbranson or Kulikov, for offensive help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad