Confirmed with Link: Wideman signed 1-year 2-way

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Good point, hadn't remembered that. So its his spot to lose for sure.

Borowiecki - Wideman it is

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
strange deal imo. I mean, I like it, but why bother with the 2-way? I guess it saves us 200k if he doesn't crack the NHL roster, but that's peanuts... just don't see why it wasn't a 1-way. Might have even gotten him to agree to a bit less (550k one way, unless 600 is league min).

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

Apparently theres about 5 videos for Wideman fighting but none for goals lol was hoping to post some highlights. Rob bordson is 6'2 200 pounds

Here is a 4 point game for Wideman this year. He's 6

Last edited:

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Pretty nice! If he makes the NHL, we'll have the 2014-15 best defensemen from the NHL and AHL.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Methot-Karlsson
Cowen/Wiercioch-Ceci
Borowiecki/Phillips-Wideman

Perfect. Hopefully one of Cowen or Wiercioch takes the next step this year.

strange deal imo. I mean, I like it, but why bother with the 2-way? I guess it saves us 200k if he doesn't crack the NHL roster, but that's peanuts... just don't see why it wasn't a 1-way. Might have even gotten him to agree to a bit less (550k one way, unless 600 is league min).

Peanuts... 1/3 of his salary so obviously not peanuts.

1-way would have seen him have to clear waivers if sent down as well (well I think)

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Methot-Karlsson
Cowen/Wiercioch-Ceci

Peanuts... 1/3 of his salary so obviously not peanuts.

1-way would have seen him have to clear waivers if sent down as well (well I think)

1-way and 2-way has no effect on waivers.

Ya exactly. Some may blame EA Sports for this misconception :laugh:

Wideman would still have to go through waivers if he gets sent down.

Neat signing though.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
The two-way is simply to save some $$$ if he busts at the NHL level right?

Gives Wideman a guaranteed payday of at least 400k , whereas he'd have to make the league minimum of $575k if he busts?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Might have been the only way they could keep him. They werne't convinced that he deserved a one way contract, but expect him to be a strong contender to crack the top 7.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Methot-Karlsson
Cowen/Wiercioch-Ceci

Wiercioch is ahead of Cowen already, the top 4 are set (assuming no UFAs or trades, of course). Any 2 of Cowen, Borowiecki, Phillips, and Wideman will start on the bottom pair.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Mutually shrewd move by BM and Wideman's agent. Low risk, potentially high rewards if Wideman can parlay his natural game into the bigs.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
He will be up soon to play. Either one of Cowen/Phillips will be hurt pretty quick and/or benched because Cameron doesn't like them. I am excited to see what he can do.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
The 2 way saves a few bucks but it's also perception. "We haven't boxed ourselves in with 8 D again" and "yes kid you have to earn a spot".

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
Good signing, brings more balance to the bottom pairings. Had too many big physical D and no one to quickly move the puck up the ice. I expect to see Wideman on the 3rd pairing with either Cowen or Boro to start the year.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Glad to see we got Wideman signed. No sense in not seeing what we have in him after developing him for the past 5+ years and seeing continuous improvement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad