Confirmed with Link: Wideman signed 1-year 2-way

BigCanadian

Mar 7, 2007
Kanata
Give Wideman's agent a nice round of applause for getting him a 400/600 two way deal. That's ridiculous.

I gotta assume this is sarcasm, as there is no way this deal is ridiculous. It is a fantastic way of keeping a player with NHL potential as opposed to losing him to another team with a roster spot. It is only $600K if he stays in the NHL. If he is in the AHL it doesn't hurt anyone's cap (stay or be traded later).

Great deal!

JuniorNoboa

Jun 4, 2007
I live in Ottawa, and not being a Sens fan has made me hate them more (although I like the players themselves). And if I could criticize anything you did this offseason I would.

But I can't, everything has been bang on from the good value on the Stone and Zibanajad contracts before July 1, the Lehner trade for larger value then expected, dumping a few contracts, very solid top 3 picks in the draft. This is just another good move that comes from the respect players have within the organization.

Still can't stand the fans or media, but that would happen in any rabid market where you are not a fan of that team.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree

Kind of a doesn't matter rule in Wideman's case. He was already a UFA..yes?? and he only signed for 1 year so will be again ...yes??? Unless of course him signing and playing 80 games somehow makes him a rfa again??? I would have thought this rule applied only if the player had previously been an rfa. Did I miss something?.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Methot-Karlsson
Cowen/Wiercioch-Ceci
Borowiecki/Phillips-Wideman

Perfect. Hopefully one of Cowen or Wiercioch takes the next step this year.

Peanuts... 1/3 of his salary so obviously not peanuts.

1-way would have seen him have to clear waivers if sent down as well (well I think)

Peanuts to the team, yes, to him it's nice bonus should he make the team, sure, but we could have signed him to a league minimum (575 I think) and saved a bit of cash if he pans out and stays with the team all year (again peanuts) and it would only mean 175 extra if sent down.

He has to clear waivers whether it's a one way or not as he's old enough to have lost waiver exemption, so that's a non issue too.

The only thing I see is it offers that extra bit of carrot for him to strive for. Something to make sure that he doesn't get complacent (from a financial perspective). Also, as someone else noted, it's a perception thing.

Tnouc Alucard

Sep 10, 2014
Kind of a doesn't matter rule in Wideman's case. He was already a UFA..yes?? and he only signed for 1 year so will be again ...yes??? Unless of course him signing and playing 80 games somehow makes him a rfa again??? I would have thought this rule applied only if the player had previously been an rfa. Did I miss something?.

He would have become an UFA on July 1st, when his current contract would have expired.

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007

Apparently theres about 5 videos for Wideman fighting but none for goals lol was hoping to post some highlights. Rob bordson is 6'2 200 pounds

Here is a 4 point game for Wideman this year. He's 6

Wow Hammond looks horrible in that game

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Wideman <3 guy is gonna upgrade our D big time. We got Karlsson, Ceci, Wiercioch, and Wideman all of which are capable of producing 40+ points as defencemen, should insulate our forwards big time.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
He would have become an UFA on July 1st, when his current contract would have expired.

Forgot that. You are right he is/was still a rfa. He wasn't quite yet a ufa until July 1st like Bishop when he re-signed with us for that 1 year. Bishop too gave up the chance to become a ufa and when he played enough games (28) which he did for the Sens he actually would still have been a rfa if we had kept him instead of trading him to TB. The same would be true with Wideman except with extra roster D 80 games is more of a stretch. It's more likely he'll be a ufa by year's end but if he's good enough and gets a one way deal after this contract he'll likely take it. It sounds like he really wants to be here

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Wideman <3 guy is gonna upgrade our D big time. We got Karlsson, Ceci, Wiercioch, and Wideman all of which are capable of producing 40+ points as defencemen, should insulate our forwards big time.

I hope he does; however, given that he was about to become a UFA and chose to sign such a low value contract, I have doubts that he will. If he is that good, then he should be able to get a much better offer from another team as a UFA.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Watching some of Wideman's goals and points. Alot of them come from the left point(pp) but they come from along the boards more then the center of the ice. A lot of his assists seem to be on deflections or point shots from his partner who also shoots the puck near the boards. I was surprised to see goalies getting beat that much from that angle

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Watching some of Wideman's goals and points. Alot of them come from the left point(pp) but they come from along the boards more then the center of the ice. A lot of his assists seem to be on deflections or point shots from his partner who also shoots the puck near the boards. I was surprised to see goalies getting beat that much from that angle

It's the AHL

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
I gotta assume this is sarcasm, as there is no way this deal is ridiculous. It is a fantastic way of keeping a player with NHL potential as opposed to losing him to another team with a roster spot. It is only $600K if he stays in the NHL. If he is in the AHL it doesn't hurt anyone's cap (stay or be traded later).

Great deal!

You read into my post wrong. It was ridiculous in a good way. Meaning, I'm surprised his agent got him 400k in the AHL. You may not know that I am from Binghamton originally and was a STH for many years. ;)

BigCanadian

Mar 7, 2007
Kanata
You read into my post wrong. It was ridiculous in a good way. Meaning, I'm surprised his agent got him 400k in the AHL. You may not know that I am from Binghamton originally and was a STH for many years. ;)

That makes much more sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad