Speculation: Why was Anton Stralman let go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Girardi was re-signed because Sather isn't a sociopath.

An undrafted free agent who built himself up into an ironman 1B getting Norris votes. A fan favorite. An associate captain. And at the time his contract was up for renegotiation, no significant signs of decline. Maybe a Bill Belichick type manager lets him walk. Those types are few and far between. If you become a manager in your career, I think you will understand why it's not such a clear and easy decision.

I'm sorry these guys are not entry level employees doing data entry for 30k a year. These guys are millionaires. Sather owes it to his stakeholders (paying fans) to do what's best for the team not be loyal for the sake of loyalty. It's not like if we didn't resign him Girardi would be on the street or something.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
My concern is : Did Rangers even learn their lesson? I am not so sure of it. After that Stralman debacle they should be all over analytics, both front office and coaching staff . Not saying it is not so, but again, Girardi is probably in for Clendening.

exactly.

Have they learned anything? "Signs point to No," says the magic 8-ball.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Callahan pissed off Sather with his contract demands. He dug his own grave.

So if Girardi had similar demands, then it was okay to trade him? Frankly, I wanted all three of Girardi, Staal and Callahan gone, since I feared happening exactly what is happening...they would never be worth the new contracts they signed. Very poor forethought on the part of Ranger brass.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I'm sorry these guys are not entry level employees doing data entry for 30k a year. These guys are millionaires. Sather owes it to his stakeholders (paying fans) to do what's best for the team not be loyal for the sake of loyalty. It's not like if we didn't resign him Girardi would be on the street or something.

Nepotism and loyalty are alive and well no matter which industry or level of that industry we are talking about. And for many managers, it's less who can you win with and more who do you want to win with.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012

Yeah. The idea that we "had" to sign Girardi because of his loyalty or warriorism or his chin or how many shots he blocked is silly.

The job of the GM is to build the best team.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Nepotism and loyalty are alive and well no matter which industry or level of that industry we are talking about. And for many managers, it's less who can you win with and more who do you want to win with.

Well you want good people from a culture standpoint. But Stralman was not bad for the Rangers culture. So that goes out the window, IMHO.

I still say part of that loyalty is because Girardi is Canadian and Stralman is European.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad