Speculation: Why was Anton Stralman let go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I know this has been talked about, but it usually pops up in a random thread. I haven't seen a thread about this where it can be cogently talked about. I always maintained that Girardi was getting by on "flashy" blocks and a "warrior" reputation. He was a very good D-man in the TORTS system for like half a season in 11-12. He's never been anything special. Stralman was clearly better. I also hate to beat a dead horse but I'm convinced that a guy named Andy Stroll and not Anton Stralman going up against a warrior Canadian would have made AV and Sather not favor Girardi as much. I'm convinced that it was subconscious but a skating and passing D-man that doesn't "sacrifice his body" that much being European made Sather and AV think that he was softer than he was.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This has been beaten to death around here. I wish we all could "let go" all of the Stralman talk.

This gets brought up a lot, but I don't remember a thread made for it. Like to get any insights you have to piece together a few posts. I think it's relevant to today with AV once again favoring Girardi over a much better player.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
I know this has been talked about, but it usually pops up in a random thread. I haven't seen a thread about this where it can be cogently talked about. I always maintained that Girardi was getting by on "flashy" blocks and a "warrior" reputation. He was a very good D-man in the TORTS system for like half a season in 11-12. He's never been anything special. Stralman was clearly better. I also hate to beat a dead horse but I'm convinced that a guy named Andy Stroll and not Anton Stralman going up against a warrior Canadian would have made AV and Sather not favor Girardi as much. I'm convinced that it was subconscious but a skating and passing D-man that doesn't "sacrifice his body" that much being European made Sather and AV think that he was softer than he was.

Stralman never played the pp. Rangers felt their d was good enough that they could let a guy like Strals go and Sather figured a 38 yr old Dan Boyle was gonna qb the PP.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
This gets brought up a lot, but I don't remember a thread made for it. Like to get any insights you have to piece together a few posts. I think it's relevant to today with AV once again favoring Girardi over a much better player.

That's because the mods usually lock them up(rightfully so) since like others have said, it's been completely beaten to death.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Stralman never played the pp. Rangers felt their d was good enough that they could let a guy like Strals go and Sather figured a 38 yr old Dan Boyle was gonna qb the PP.

Why was it necessary to keep Girardi and not just sign Boyle for what they'd pay Girardi?

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Why was it necessary to keep Girardi and not just sign Boyle for what they'd pay Girardi?

You have to remember how reliable G was for years. Him and McD were very effective for years together. As of late the injuries have hurt him but the NYR didn't have a crystal ball. It would've been much smarter to give Stralman PP time while he was here. It was something that always boggled my mind.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You have to remember how reliable G was for years. Him and McD were very effective for years together. As of late the injuries have hurt him but the NYR didn't have a crystal ball. It would've been much smarter to give Stralman PP time while he was here. It was something that always boggled my mind.

I don't think he was ever that great. Girardi was never the better D-man.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

You can't possibly be serious. YOU started a thread wondering about the reason behind him being let go 18 months ago.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1869905&highlight=stralman

Then there was another thread about this 5 months ago, in which you posted!

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2073137&highlight=stralman

McD37

Oct 10, 2016
My concern is : Did Rangers even learn their lesson? I am not so sure of it. After that Stralman debacle they should be all over analytics, both front office and coaching staff . Not saying it is not so, but again, Girardi is probably in for Clendening.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
1. Girardi and Staal were extended with what were at the time universally considered to be good deals.

2. Richards, the PP QB was let go.

3. The Rangers had several young guys in need of RFA extensions in the next few years.

Rather than add another long term contract to the blue line, the Rangers decided they could kill three birds (sign a defenseman, add a PP QB, maintain short term flexibility) with one stone (Boyle). Obviously it didn't work out but it was a calculated and rational decision at the time. That some folks' general pessimism was validated doesn't change that.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You can't possibly be serious. YOU started a thread wondering about the reason behind him being let go 18 months ago.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1869905&highlight=stralman

Then there was another thread about this 5 months ago, in which you posted!

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2073137&highlight=stralman

I guess I don't remember every post I ever make. No reason to be rude. I know that people will say that they wanted Boyle. I still don't know why they had to sign Girardi even if they wanted a PP QB. I don't remember this ever being answered. But maybe I'm wrong. All I ever get was that "Boyle replaced him because he was better offensively". But as far as I can remember no one ever has answered why Girardi was resigned. Why it wasn't Stralman/Boyle instead of Girardi/Boyle.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I guess I don't remember every post I ever make. No reason to be rude. I know that people will say that they wanted Boyle. I still don't know why they had to sign Girardi even if they wanted a PP QB. I don't remember this ever being answered. But maybe I'm wrong. All I ever get was that "Boyle replaced him because he was better offensively". But as far as I can remember no one ever has answered why Girardi was resigned. Why it wasn't Stralman/Boyle instead of Girardi/Boyle.

Girardi was re-signed because Sather isn't a sociopath.

An undrafted free agent who built himself up into an ironman 1B getting Norris votes. A fan favorite. An associate captain. And at the time his contract was up for renegotiation, no significant signs of decline. Maybe a Bill Belichick type manager lets him walk. Those types are few and far between. If you become a manager in your career, I think you will understand why it's not such a clear and easy decision.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Yes, for 3? 3.25? million/season and AS declined.

Stralman says the Rangers never made an offer after that. The Rangers never said anything.
Some Ranger bloggers questioned if he was worth that at the time. I think Anton really raised his game/name in the 2014 finals. He really looked great in his first year in Tampa.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Before this thread is locked, the problem remains that the Rangers did not foresee how the game was being transformed, even though, in a way, they were one of the teams that helped to change it. They were a high-possession team, that moved the puck quickly through the neutral zone in their Cup run. They had two Dmen coming up for free agency...one suited to play that way (Stralman) and one not so much (Girardi). They were more concerned about loyalty, and made sure to get Girardi signed, while dragging their feet on Stralman. They are paying the price for that decision.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Girardi was re-signed because Sather isn't a sociopath.

An undrafted free agent who built himself up into an ironman 1B getting Norris votes. A fan favorite. An associate captain. And at the time his contract was up for renegotiation, no significant signs of decline. Maybe a Bill Belichick type manager lets him walk. Those types are few and far between. If you become a manager in your career, I think you will understand why it's not such a clear and easy decision.

Was he sociopath to trade Callahan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad