Why the Devils Should Tank the Season by Larry Brooks

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Yes it does.

Teams are not likely to go through the excruciatingly painful process of tanking and losing when:

A) They are statistically likely going to lose the draft anyway
B) The "tanking benefit" is mathematically small & incremental rather than mathematically huge

Small and incremental still constitutes an advantage over the rest of the field.

1. 20.5%
2. 13.5%
3. 11.5%
4. 9.5%
5. 8.5%

At this point, does it really matter? Is this a playoff team? Absolutely not. So increasing your odds is now verboten? Throw pride and ego out the window at this juncture. When you have a formerly unemployed Scott Gomez as your #1 center, I think it calls for drastic measures. Even the mere opportunity at getting this lottery ticket of sorts far outweighs the accumulated darkness within this organization. It's a no brainer.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The Devils did basically tank in '83/'84.

They only won 1 of their last 13 games.

There's a difference between losing because you stink (Devils) and losing because you're intentionally exposing your Queen to their Bishop (Penguins).

The Devils had several 10, 7, 8, etc... game losing streaks that year, so being awful was par-for-the-course.

Moe Syzlak

Sep 27, 2009
I don't think the Devils should "tank". But they need to face reality that they're not a very good hockey team and will miss the playoffs again. Lou in particular needs to realize this which means unloading those pending UFA's at the deadline. But sadly, the Devils will probably still be around where they are now in regards to the playoff race which probably means he'll hang on those players to make that push to get a final spot and then just lose in the first round. :shakehead

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Small and incremental still constitutes an advantage over the rest of the field.

Not denying that obvious fact.

But nobody at #8 is going to throw games to get to #4 when it only gives them a 3.5% boost and STILL a > 90% chance of losing the lottery.

Likewise, it's doubtful #4 will start throwing games the last few weeks to get to #2 for only a 4% boost and still an 87% chance of losing the lottery.

Well, unless of course their GM is as dumb as Larry Brooks is and doesn't understand math. Then I'll admit all bets are apparently off.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
Here's how 2016 will go. There will be THREE separate picks.

And this should forever rid the "competitive" hockey world of the word, "tank", as it should.
Puljujärvi 2016! Don't think we have a shot at Matthews but I'll happily take Pulju as a consolation prize.

Personally I am not voting for us to tank this year (or any other year, for that matter) but I am not completely against it. We desperately need some high-tier forward prospects who can make a difference but I personally view tanking as a disgraceful act, even if it's for McDavid. Losing (intentional or not) and the culture surrounding it should never be a part of this franchise. The focus should be on winning. Always. With that said, I can close my eyes for one season. But just one.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I don't think the Devils should "tank". But they need to face reality that they're not a very good hockey team and will miss the playoffs again. Lou in particular needs to realize this which means unloading those pending UFA's at the deadline. But sadly, the Devils will probably still be around where they are now in regards to the playoff race which probably means he'll hang on those players to make that push to get a final spot and then just lose in the first round. :shakehead

If this roster remains as is, and this coward loser coach stays, I can virtually guarantee you that they will NOT make the playoffs and will be a bottom five team.

The truth of the matter is that if Lou finds a way to get rid of some of the over-the-hill vets, the team will actually likely be better, or at least will not be any worse than they currently are.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I agree totally with Brooks. And if Lou truly what's to win in the future he will see the benefits of sacrificing this season. Not only do they need a top player, preferably a number one center, they need a draw for the fans. We have a few decent front line propects, just a few and a bunch of current fowards who should really consider retirement. If Lou wants a winner he will have to now take one step back to take two step forwards. He can do the right thing or screw this organization for the next several years.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
You're not losing games to try to pick up a few percentage points better chance t 1st overall, it's that ever spot lower is a chance at a better player.

Don't you think Edmonton wished they lot a few more games in 2012 when Calgary picked Monahan and two picks later they settled on Darnell Nurse. Which do you think they would have preferred?

It's more about having more options and better choices available. Sometimes 2 points means 2 places and you losing out on the better prospect.

New Jack City

Dec 28, 2011
We are not making the playoffs, thats pretty obvious. We don't really have to try to tank, we suck enough as is with Gomez as out top center and Harold seeing 20 mins a game. We will have a decent shot at McDavid.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I could've written this article in one word...

McDavid

Came here to post this

Really does not require an article

You're not losing games to try to pick up a few percentage points better chance t 1st overall, it's that ever spot lower is a chance at a better player.

Don't you think Edmonton wished they lot a few more games in 2012 when Calgary picked Monahan and two picks later they settled on Darnell Nurse. Which do you think they would have preferred?

It's more about having more options and better choices available. Sometimes 2 points means 2 places and you losing out on the better prospect.

I seem to remember Calgary being chastised for taking Monahan as early as they did.

Also, if by some act of god this team is able to draft McDavid, I will buy season tickets next year.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
Imagine if the Devils did tank and traded Jagr/Zids for a bubble teams 1st. Devils finish last in the league and said team misses the playoffs and wins the lottery. Devils end up with both McDavid and Eichel.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Imagine if the Devils did tank and traded Jagr/Zids for a bubble teams 1st. Devils finish last in the league and said team misses the playoffs and wins the lottery. Devils end up with both McDavid and Eichel.

Scott Niedermayer.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
The Devils did basically tank in '83/'84.

They only won 1 of their last 13 games.

Pittsburgh was simply more blatant/brazen about tanking, and they won out with Mario.

Muller was a great Devils player in his day, obviously not even close to Mario, but at the end of the day the Devils won 3 Cups compared to Pittsburgh's 2 while Mario was an active NHL player.

Though Mario's value & mark on the Pens was even greater off the ice.
They are now a constant sellout, get strong ratings and have the best marketing dept in the league IMO.

Pre-Mario, they were joke of a franchise on & off the ice.
Not that hard to sellout or to market when you have 2 of the top 5 players in the world

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
He couldn't keep his mouth shut to the press when we worked for the team. He then became the Devils beat writer for the Post I believe or the News and was subsequently banned from the locker room by Lou. Have to say, when he first started as a writer he was very good. Very informative and spoke the truth. That's what got him banned. After the banishment he has the mother of all grudges. Very similar to what happened with Randy Velishchek on the radio side. Randy was fantastic. Was not a homer at all. He was canned for being to critical of the team.

There's a little bit of a revisionist history there.

My recollection is that there was a bit of an issue for Lou letting him in the room as a reporter when he had blatant insider info - kind of a double standard set there. I don't think the radio announcers had the same situation either.

Really? That's sad to hear. Now it starts to crystallize why Dano and Steve are so painfully bland.

Again, I don't think that's why. I think they're painfully bland because they don't want to say the Devils suck this year to the average fan. Not a good fanbase building attitude.

Scott Niedermayer.

Amen.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I think they're painfully bland because they don't want to say the Devils suck this year to the average fan. Not a good fanbase building attitude.

Maybe, but the obvious fiction is getting really obnoxious.

Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining. :rant:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Maybe, but the obvious fiction is getting really obnoxious.

Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining. :rant:

I never understood this saying?

Is it the lie? Or the pee? Can I pee on your leg and tell you I'm peeing on your leg?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad