Why no NHL in milwaukee?

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
in the 80s I believe they built the Bradley Center for the the NHL! They draw well for College Hockey, and for those "Traditionalists" ... it's freezing cold in Milwaukee...

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I'm fairly sure it's considered part of Chicago's territory so Wirtz would have to be paid off for market infringement. Then again, Chicago hockey fans might pony it up so they can go see the NHL and not have to fill Dollar Bill's coffers any more.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
in the 80s I believe they built the Bradley Center for the the NHL! They draw well for College Hockey, and for those "Traditionalists" ... it's freezing cold in Milwaukee...

There's college hockey in Milwaukee?

I thought the Admirals got horrible attendance.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
There's college hockey in Milwaukee?

I thought the Admirals got horrible attendance.

Who cares about the AHL attendance? It's always been a moot point. The NCAA finals in the Bradley Center was sold out last year.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm fairly sure it's considered part of Chicago's territory so Wirtz would have to be paid off for market infringement. Then again, Chicago hockey fans might pony it up so they can go see the NHL and not have to fill Dollar Bill's coffers any more.

Actually, Milwaukee would be Minnesota's territory. They fall under FSN North.

Milwaukee doesn't have the ownership willing to do it, I would say. Do people think that market is big enough for 4 pro teams?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Actually it's outside the 75 mile territorial radius (93 miles Chicago-Milwaukee), so no territorial indemification would be needed to Dollar Bill, nor could he block a move.

As far as the poster claiming Minneapolis territory - it's 341 miles from Milwaukee to the Twin Cities.

But the real reason - Milwaukee does not have the population or corporate support to support an NHL team, and is certainly a less attractive site for a potential owner than any of the first tier cities (Houston, KC, Portland, hell I'd probably even put Winnipeg ahead of Milwaukee).

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
Milwaukee was first in line for expansion in the late-80s and early-90s, but Jane and Lloyd Pettit (the longtime owners of the Admirals, both of whom are now deceased) balked at the enormous expansion fee for a team that they knew would be a perennial loser for its first several seasons.

Guy Legend

Jun 2, 2005
St. Louis
Milwaukee doesn't have the ownership willing to do it, I would say. Do people think that market is big enough for 4 pro teams?

No, but they currently have only 2 (Bucks and Brewers)....

If the city didn't have an NBA franchise, I would think that Milwaukee would be a much more attractive destination. However, with the NBA season playing at the same time, a potential NHL team would be competing for limited resources every season in a smaller market.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Who cares about the AHL attendance? It's always been a moot point. The NCAA finals in the Bradley Center was sold out last year.

why don't u stop complaining about the AHL, PortlandRanger---u are starting to alienate the corporate fanbases including Milwaukee

How would u react if AHL Fans started threads about moving the entire AHL into NHL Markets:shakehead

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
why don't u stop complaining about the AHL, PortlandRanger---u are starting to alienate the corporate fanbases including Milwaukee

How would u react if AHL Fans started threads about moving the entire AHL into NHL Markets:shakehead
That doesn't make sense. I don't think Allen-Bradley, Briggs and Stratton, nor Harley-Davidson feel alienated by PortlandRangers remarks. He was making the point that AHL attendance is NOT a sound indicator of what an NHL team would draw.

This topic comes up every 9 months. True, the Bradley Center was built during a time when Milwaukee was a player during the first round of expansion - and was built with the hopes of housing an NHL team. Also true, the Petits balked at the expansion price tag and, at that time, also balked at having to pay the Hawks their territorial fees - which was an issue left unresolved since the Petits pulled out of the race. Would there be enough corporate support? I think that if the fanbase showed the corps that there is an interest, there could possibly be enough support from the corporate side. Sponsorship and corporate interest seems to come from all over Wisconsin and not soley the Milwaukee vicinity. With the Bucks and the Brewers, it would seem those dollars would not be committed to hockey unless the Bucks were gone.

Finally, the Frozen Four was a sell-out last year. It usually is when held at the BC. What made it a tougher ticket than usual was the prospect of the Badgers qualifying in 05-06. I also think the BC could do good by hosting a Nashville-Chicago pre-season game.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
That doesn't make sense. I don't think Allen-Bradley, Briggs and Stratton, nor Harley-Davidson feel alienated by PortlandRangers remarks. He was making the point that AHL attendance is NOT a sound indicator of what an NHL team would draw.

This topic comes up every 9 months. True, the Bradley Center was built during a time when Milwaukee was a player during the first round of expansion - and was built with the hopes of housing an NHL team. Also true, the Petits balked at the expansion price tag and, at that time, also balked at having to pay the Hawks their territorial fees - which was an issue left unresolved since the Petits pulled out of the race. Would there be enough corporate support? I think that if the fanbase showed the corps that there is an interest, there could possibly be enough support from the corporate side. Sponsorship and corporate interest seems to come from all over Wisconsin and not soley the Milwaukee vicinity. With the Bucks and the Brewers, it would seem those dollars would not be committed to hockey unless the Bucks were gone.

Finally, the Frozen Four was a sell-out last year. It usually is when held at the BC. What made it a tougher ticket than usual was the prospect of the Badgers qualifying in 05-06. I also think the BC could do good by hosting a Nashville-Chicago pre-season game.

What he's trying to point out is replacing the Admirals with an NHL version, which is NOT likely to ever happen, AdmiralPred, HOW would u feel if the Admirals disappeared completely from Milwaukee, never to return and somehow the AHL is an inferior league---if it was why would the NHL use the AHL as its development league?????

Last edited:

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
CHRDANHUTCH, what the heck are you talking about? I'm simply asking why milwaukee doesn't get mentioned in relocation/expansion talks. I have nothing against the AHL, I frankly don't care for it.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
What he's trying to point out is replacing the Admirals with an NHL version, which is NOT likely to ever happen, AdmiralPred, HOW would u feel if the Admirals disappeared completely from Milwaukee, never to return and somehow the AHL is an inferior league---if it was why would the NHL use the AHL as its development league?????
Whoa, I think we're getting a little sidetracked here. I thought you were responding to PrtlandRanger's comment about AHL attendance not being indicative of what a NHL team would draw.

NHL teams entering a current AHL market is not anything new. If, and, as you pointed out, that is a very unlikely "if", a NHL team would relocate or expand to Milwaukee more than likely the AHL MilAds franchise would be sold or moved as I am certain it would not be able to compete with a NHL club in the same market.

How I would feel if the MilAds left Milwaukee after a NHL team moved in? Initially, I probably wouldn't be going to as many NHL games since I would highly doubt the NHL ticket would be comperable to what the MilAds currently charge. I also wouldn't neccessarily miss it if there were a NHL alternative to follow. It would be different w/out the Ads in town - minor pro hockey has a decent following, but the fans have dealt with big changes to the team before - the affiliation with an expansion team and the move from the I to the A.

I'm not sure how you segued into the "and somehow the AHL is an inferior league" comment. If your comparing it to the NHL then how is it not an inferior league in terms of talent and overall play? It is a developmental league for future NHL players. The AHL being an inferior league was a sentiment shared by many local hoockey fans when the MilAds made the transition from the I to the A where teams were considered more of a developmental "farm club" and affiliations were required.

I digress since we've drifted a bit off topic, here. In the end, in my opinion, Milwaukee would not be the best choice given the available markets out there. It would be great to have a team in Wisconsin, however, I like the MilAds just the same.

Hector Toe Blake-34

Jan 29, 2007
Boston, MA
Milwaukee not in Bettman's Exspansion Plan

The real reason no hockey in Milwaukee...Bettmans plan to move all cold weather teams to the south...Didn't you hear??? New Exspansion teams in Mexico City and Buenos Aires! Goodbye Motreal and Toronto!!!! :p:

This way Gary gets to see a little bit of the world and bill it to the league offices!!!:shakehead

Transported Upstater

What the holy hell does that mean?

I cannot understand anything you type.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
What the holy hell does that mean?

I cannot understand anything you type.

Why do I constantly read threads about this city or that city being targets---a few weeks ago it's Pittsburgh, then Seattle, then even Nashville, frankly I get real tired of having to defend comments made about the AHL being classifiedas an inferior league.

It seems to me last I looked if it wasn't for the AHL and the other minor leagues can anyone care to explain why those leagues continued while the NHL suspended operations:amazed:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
CHRDANHUTCH, what the heck are you talking about? I'm simply asking why milwaukee doesn't get mentioned in relocation/expansion talks. I have nothing against the AHL, I frankly don't care for it.

then simply if u don't care about then stop mentioning our league----why is the AHL then technically under the guidance of the NHL:shakehead

Transported Upstater

Why do I constantly read threads about this city or that city being targets---a few weeks ago it's Pittsburgh, then Seattle, then even Nashville, frankly I get real tired of having to defend comments made about the AHL being classifiedas an inferior league.

Compared to the NHL, it IS an inferior league, by a large margin. That's a fact.

It seems to me last I looked if it wasn't for the AHL and the other minor leagues can anyone care to explain why those leagues continued while the NHL suspended operations:amazed:

I have no idea what that sentence (?) is supposed to mean.

then simply if u don't care about then stop mentioning our league----why is the AHL then technically under the guidance of the NHL:shakehead

That doesn't even make any sense.

Transported Upstater

Anyways, back to the discussion of Milwaukee as a potential NHL site...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
No, but they currently have only 2 (Bucks and Brewers)....

If the city didn't have an NBA franchise, I would think that Milwaukee would be a much more attractive destination. However, with the NBA season playing at the same time, a potential NHL team would be competing for limited resources every season in a smaller market.

The Packers, while not operated or affiliated with the town officially, for all intents and purposes, is Milwaukee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad