Why no NHL in milwaukee?

Guy Legend

Jun 2, 2005
St. Louis
The Packers, while not operated or affiliated with the town officially, for all intents and purposes, is Milwaukee

I don't really buy that. Yes, I would agree that football fans in Milwaukee are by and large going to be pro Packers. However, Green Bay is far enough from milwaukee (approx. 120 miles) that the Packers don't legitmately compete for season tickets, sponsors, corporations, etc. Last I checked, Green bay has around 500k people and can't be considered part of Milwaukee....at all.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
I don't really buy that. Yes, I would agree that football fans in Milwaukee are by and large going to be pro Packers. However, Green Bay is far enough from milwaukee (approx. 120 miles) that the Packers don't legitmately compete for season tickets, sponsors, corporations, etc. Last I checked, Green bay has around 500k people and can't be considered part of Milwaukee....at all.

i'm pretty sure green bay is between 200k-250k.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
The Packers, while not operated or affiliated with the town officially, for all intents and purposes, is Milwaukee
See my post #25 for my retort to the original comment.

The Packers played three regular and one pre-season game at old County Stadium in Milwaukee each season from the 50s until 1994 or 1995. The Packers knew they were able to make more money, yes money, by playing all 8 home games at Lambeau (larger capacity even before the Lambeau expansion). What the Packers did was take all of their Milwaukee season ticket holders with them by offering two different season ticket packages and, trust me, Milwaukee fans have no problem with the hour and one half drive from the North Side to Lambeau. Football fans, by and large, anywhere in Wisconsin and Michigan's U.P. are going to be Packer fans and dominates talk radio out of Milwaukee just as it does out of Green Bay - almost to extreemly ridiculous levels.

Green Bay proper is slightly over 100k and depending on how far up the Fox River you go to define the metro area I'd say 250k-300k tops if you reach as far south as Oshkosh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad