Why is it hard for some of us to accept that the Penguins are rebuilding?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm just still kinda bewildered that a 1st wasn't a requirement in any Jake trade. If that means only getting one of those prospects, so be it. Technically, I guess it can still turn into a 1st, but we'll see.
I'm bewildered that you're bewildered at this point by any dumb thing this organization does.

At this point, I'm convinced the Pens will go on a massive winning streak the very next game after being mathematically eliminated from the playoffs just to screw up their draft positioning.

(the second point has nothing to do with your point, but my mind just wandered to the next thing this stupid team probably does to piss me off)

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Are they world beaters? No, they just don't suck as bad as we do. That in and of itself isn't saying much. We're the oldest team in the league, that's a fact.

If this was 2017 would they beat us? history tell us no.

Same core, same coach, so what has changed? They aged out.
Actually I believe we are the 2nd oldest team in the league right now. The Oilers took that title away form us after the trade deadline.

Technicalities aside...
That metric on it's own is overrated. If you solely go by average age, the youngest teams suck. It seems like an average age of 27.5-28.5 is ideal. Look at Carolina. They actually got older at the TD.

The bigger issue is we need our Crosby/Malkin (D tend to age different so I'm not putting Letang) here, need more support.

What I would be willing to agree is the average age of the core matters. If we ranked the average age of the core of every team, that would make us look even worst!

Someone else needs to take the reigns. Our guys Rust/Rackell/Smith/EK/POJ/DOC/Puus aren't doing enough here.

If we could fill ourselves with a few talented 28-29 year old UFAs, then would make our core younger, and buy us a few years, and rebuild through the draft.

1710443332464.png

Reactions: BusinessGoose

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Actually I believe we are the 2nd oldest team in the league right now. The Oilers took that title away form us after the trade deadline.

Technicalities aside...
That metric on it's own is overrated. If you solely go by average age, the youngest teams suck. It seems like an average age of 27.5-28.5 is ideal. Look at Carolina. They actually got older at the TD.

The bigger issue is we need our Crosby/Malkin (D tend to age different so I'm not putting Letang) here, need more support.

What I would be willing to agree is the average age of the core matters. If we ranked the average age of the core of every team, that would make us look even worst!

Someone else needs to take the reigns. Our guys Rust/Rackell/Smith/EK/POJ/DOC/Puus aren't doing enough here.

If we could fill ourselves with a few talented 28-29 year old UFAs, then would make our core younger, and buy us a few years, and rebuild through the draft.

View attachment 835784
Average age means nothing as you can have old ass players on your 4th line and still be a very good team. (Sully says hold my beer, lets do all lines) Forwards peak 24-5yo and maintain most of that up to 30yo and its much more critical that your top lines are both good and at their peak age. What is the average age of our top 6?

Now you see why we are so Fing old and its not a good thing.

overall-war-f_d.png

Reactions: Andy99

Penguin Suited Up

Dec 26, 2017
You guys are such dorks by the way.

Sid, Malkin and Letang want to retire Penguins. That is their legacy.

I know they are emotional right now, but Sid and Malkin are going to retire Penguins and we owe it to them and I don't really see the big issue at all.

Maybe Letang gets traded towards the end of his contract.

Trading Sid and Malkin does nothing but open up cap space while you are still stuck with Jarry, Rust, Rakell, etc.

It doesn't help a rebuild.

We have two seasons where we miss the playoffs and "the era is immediately over". Like Jesus Christ spoiled brat takes.

Whole lotta people trying to be like "I told you so" after this team and core should've been in the ground five years ago.

Welcome to most NHL teams. They are just hoping to make the playoffs.
It took way too many posts to get to this take, which is the only right one.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Because it wasn't supposed to happen until after Crosby retired, and also after teams like the Capitals and Bruins started to rebuild.
The Caps have been retooling more than the Pens and are better than us at this stage…only one point out of playoffs…they’ve incorporated young players better and fired their coach…see any parallels? Lol

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
All those fans that brag about how "they rooted for the Penguins during the dark days" going to get a real treat. We went from a ECF in 01 to having Sidney Crosby in 05.

Maybe some of those long timers who actually watched the Penguins before Mario would have better context on what "dark days" truly look like. Which is why regardless of what we actually do, I prefer Dubas at least attempt to try and win while Sid, Malkin, EK65 and Letang are still hanging around.

The early 80's was a disaster all around.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Average age means nothing as you can have old ass players on your 4th line and still be a very good team. (Sully says hold my beer, lets do all lines) Forwards peak 24-5yo and maintain most of that up to 30yo and its much more critical that your top lines are both good and at their peak age. What is the average age of our top 6?

Now you see why we are so Fing old and its not a good thing.

overall-war-f_d.png
Yeah, that’s what I said, though in more words.

Average age of the core is what matters.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
For a fan base that follows a team hasn't won a Cup since the American civil war, kinda seems outta place for them to gloat about anything.
I wasn't gloating about our lousy team. I was preparing you for the fact that the Boy Genius will do to your team what he did to ours. He already has alienated Crosby and will ruin any hopes for the future. I really wish you luck.

1967, bro.
And Dubas maintained the mediocrity, GL bro.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I wasn't gloating about our lousy team. I was preparing you for the fact that the Boy Genius will do to your team what he did to ours. He already has alienated Crosby and will ruin any hopes for the future. I really wish you luck.

And Dubas maintained the mediocrity, GL bro.
We're in good hands, and honestly if he alienates Crosby so be it. After 20 years we need a change, Dubas provides that. Worry about your own teams failures and ineptitude, plenty there to keep you busy.

Reactions: killer1980

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Even though a Penguins "rebuild" was eventually going to happen, I've noticed that some people seem to have a hard time understanding and accepting that we may not be a contender for "awhile" (until 2030, which is my prediction)

However, sports fans aren't satisfied (during a rebuild) until their team becomes a contender again, which means that we'll just have to deal with it until we return to NHL relevance...

IMO, since the Penguins drafted Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury, etc) our current generation of Penguin fans may have some issues accepting the fact that we may not be good for some time, even though this happens throughout the sports world:

Detroit Red Wings, Chicago Blackhawks, LA Kings, Tampa Bay Lightning, Vegas Golden Knights, New England Patriots, Kansas City Chiefs, etc...

On an extra note, hopefully the Penguins will draft within the Top 5-10 (until they become contenders again) along with possibly winning the draft lottery as well...
The answer is very simple. Most fans today have never been through this. The team has been very good the past 20 years or so. The older fans know that down years are the quickest way back to Cup contention. We embrace it & welcome it. The really old fans remember pre-Lemieux when the team was fighting for its very survival. This team has never been on better footing. A few down years is nothing.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
The answer is very simple. Most fans today have never been through this. The team has been very good the past 20 years or so. The older fans know that down years are the quickest way back to Cup contention. We embrace it & welcome it. The really old fans remember pre-Lemieux when the team was fighting for its very survival. This team has never been on better footing. A few down years is nothing.
It's not about being bad or good. It's about the soulless FSG overlords ruling over the least fun Penguins hockey ever.

I went to 30 games a year during X-Gen and don't need to be told to "embrace the bad years". This era is way, way worse. It's a bunch of corporate bullshit spoonfed by Dubas/FSG cronies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad