Why is it hard for some of us to accept that the Penguins are rebuilding?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I tend to agree but only because I'm super cynical about the team's relationship with Sullivan. If they had an ounce of sense... well... they would have fired him years ago. But if they had an ounce of sense starting NOW they'd suck ass the rest of this year and then ACTUALLY TRY next season for what could be a real last stab at a playoff berth before the team likely goes dark for a while.

That's my thing... they aren't trying to do this thing right. I'd be way more ready to join you guys and start rattling off obituaries for Sid/G's careers had they done so.
It's wild how dysfunctional and incompetent this franchise has been lately. That, coupled with their immense arrogance, and you've got yourself a team plummeting down the ranks of relevance. Pretty easy to see why the team's in this spot.

Holy shit, how is Reirden still employed? :laugh: I can see the pathway to rationalizing Sullivan because of his resume and contract, though I'd have fired him in 2020, but Reirden? C'maaaaaaaaaahn, man.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I tend to agree but only because I'm super cynical about the team's relationship with Sullivan. If they had an ounce of sense... well... they would have fired him years ago. But if they had an ounce of sense starting NOW they'd suck ass the rest of this year and then ACTUALLY TRY next season for what could be a real last stab at a playoff berth before the team likely goes dark for a while.

That's my thing... they aren't trying to do this thing right. I'd be way more ready to join you guys and start rattling off obituaries for Sid/G's careers had they done so.

They could stop the obituaries by flourishing with another organization in their last couple of years. But here, yes. They'll hit some point milestones, play decent, but lose a lot.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I guarantee you this team wouldn’t look half as bad if we first fired the coach and got rid of any player we could reasonably fill from within. Hell, we might even have been in the playoffs!

I think one of the first things people would be shocked by (though they shouldn't) if a new staff took over is how useful some of the farmhands could be. The narrative has been that most of those guys aren't even good enough to fill a Noel Acciari slot. I absolutely disagree.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think one of the first things people would be shocked by (though they shouldn't) if a new staff took over is how useful some of the farmhands could be. The narrative has been that most of those guys aren't even good enough to fill a Noel Acciari slot. I absolutely disagree.

I think people would be shocked how good Noel Acciari is too.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Whether they wanna tank or they wanna keep up this masquerade of being relevant, they should have most of their bottom-6 filled by WBS dudes tbh. I don't even really give a damn about any of 'em, but they're cheap and they genuinely cannot be as bad as the likes of Carter, Harkins, etc.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I guarantee you this team wouldn’t look half as bad if we first fired the coach and got rid of any player we could reasonably fill from within. Hell, we might even have been in the playoffs!
Absolutely not, you're completely dismissing the age of these players. You see the names on the back of the jersey and think that these immortals are as they were 10 years ago. That's simply not the case. You could bring in the greatest coach ever and it wouldn't change this teams trajectory.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
They should bring back Phil just to drive Sullivan insane and make him quit. Phil's f***ing cooked, about ten times over, but there's your avenue to getting out of Sully's deal. :laugh:

Reactions: Mr. T

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Crosby has two points in his last eight games. Really starting to fall off a cliff there. SJ comes to town though he'll get get a temp reprieve and put up a couple points. But Don't be fooled.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I would think that if by Dec next year it looks like we are handing SJS a top 5 pick that Dubas fires Sullivan (if he's still here) in a last ditch effort to NOT send them a lottery pick.

Last edited:

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
IMO, it's not that he can't accept it, it's that he literally can't rebuild right now. He was hired to give Sid one more shot and Sully was part of the process. He has bosses at FSG who won't let him tear it down.
I don’t disagree.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I would think that if by Dec next year it looks like we are handing SJS a top 5 pick that Dubas fires Sullivan (if he's still here) in a last ditch effort to NOT send them a lottery pick.
We should get a top 8-10 pick this season, gotta make it count. Then Augment the team in free agency. I agree though, you don't wanna be in the lottery next year, but then if that's the case the Dinosaurs need to be phased out. If they play significant roles next season, and they're a year older with minimal free agency gains, we're screwed!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
And this is precisely why it's pointless to have discussions about who we should sign as a free agent or who we should trade for or who sucks on the current roster and who doesn't. As long as they refuse to fire Sullivan, NONE OF THAT MATTERS.

I know it's an over-used cliche, but this really is a "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic" situation. Unless you avoid that iceberg (ie. fire Sullivan) it literally does not matter where you put the deck chairs or how good of a quality the deck chairs are. You're going to crash and burn regardless.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
For a ban base that follows a team hasn't won a Cup since the American civil war, kinda seems outta place for them to gloat about anything.
DCPxgAn.jpeg

According to AI, this was the last Leaf's player to win a cup.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Absolutely not, you're completely dismissing the age of these players. You see the names on the back of the jersey and think that these immortals are as they were 10 years ago. That's simply not the case. You could bring in the greatest coach ever and it wouldn't change this teams trajectory.
lol

Go back to sleep, gramps. We’ll wake you when the coroner comes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad