Why is Boston such a good organization?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
They're like the Devils post-Niedermayer.

Structured, good goaltending, not enough juice in the playoffs because, after Pasta, they don't have another gamebreaker.
Marchand has been an elite player since like 2017…

They made it to game 7 of the SCF and really only lost that game because Binnington playing out of his kind.

Weird to say they weren’t structured properly

Reactions: Ladyfan

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
You forgot Top-three in the United States for:

Education
And
Health care

Makes a huge difference if you have a family.
Totally agree. If I had tons of money I would live near Boston, probably in Brookline or something.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Celtics have 1 title in 40 years, bruins with 1 cup in 50 years. By far the most overrated sports city.
Not a fan but does any of sports city have 4 different teams with a championship in the last 20 years? And some with multiple.

The Bruins are top 10 of that same timeline but the problem I see with them is, sure they have playoff consistency, but they build themselves on the toughness and Defense without enough stars that style mainly just wins a cup 1 time in a decade. They got it 2011, but had a shot again but ran into another team with that kind of roster in the Blues. So they post that rare shot.

Reactions: Voight and Oneiro

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
"Good" organizations don't get swept by a Wild Card team in the first round after winning the President's Trophy.
Last time the Bruins were swept in a playoffs series, it was in the 90s. Early 90s I think, too. A swing and a miss, try again.

Celtics have 1 title in 40 years, bruins with 1 cup in 50 years. By far the most overrated sports city.
Now do the Patriots and Red Sox.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
And everything imaginable went right for them

other team added layers too.

His point still stands and incidentally they were w\o McAvoy, Marchand and Gryz
to start last season, so no, everything didn't go right. Get at least basic facts straight.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
thr Rask trade was 2006

then therr was the Kessel trade 2 1st that became #2 and #9

bruins drafted
2003 Bergeron
2004 Kreci
2006 Kessel ( traded)
2006 Marchand
2024 Pasternik
in 2016 they drafted McAvoy
they butchered 2025 draft picks

this year they benefited from a relatively weak starting schedule

roughly half a teams schedule are against half the teams who made the playoffs. Playoff teams play a little less facing 15 teams, while non playoff teams play a little more. Boston played only 3 playoff teams vs 5 expected value

last year they played a heavy home schedule over their first 30+ games having 20 at home which gave them early season confidence. People forgot they were the last playoff team in 2021-22 so they were forecast to be a playoff bubble team.

They definitely were not the last team in in 21-22. They had 107 points. Would’ve been the 6 seed in the old playoff format.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Jeremy Jacobs can be a bit of an arse but to his credit he lets the hockey guys do their thing. I get the sense he doesn't middle in their decisions or micro manage.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Detroit and San Jose had high standards and relative year-to-year success for very extended periods as well (the former more than the latter, obviously - but both had very long stretches of good draft finds and steady playoff appearances). Boston has been holding it high for a while.

But I remember going to see them a few times back a few years before they won their Cup. The team seemed pretty meh (though not awful), the fans were very nice but enthusiasm was meh and there were tons of empty seats (I saw almost no names on the jerseys from players currently on the roster).

Not at all trying to bag on the Bruins. I’m just saying teams can have sustained periods of ups, but it could change. If Chara really was a key driver, get him in there for leadership to keep the tone going.

FU Shoresy

Jan 25, 2023
You may wanna check your math. The Celtics have 3 titles in the last 40 years. The B's have been consistently competitive since Bobby Orr arrived on the scene.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Bruins had highs and lows and highs again. But overall, it's absurd to say they're not a good organization. They've been overall pretty good. No NHL team in the world is going to stay on the highs. Bruins have managed better than most others. That puts them in the "such a good organization" category.

People on this forum get salty and try to dunk on everything that makes them feel puckery. It's obvious who the salty puckers are on this forum.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
1. Culture
The Bergeron/Chara culture of inclusion has made for many tight locker rooms which leads to accountability from your peers, which is more sustainable than relying on the coach. Which leads into…

2. Focusing on two way players that offer a better $ to cap hit value than more one dimensional scorers
They get guys that buy in (and ship them out if they don’t, even if they are very good players like Thornton, Kessel, or Seguin). That buy in leads to teams that are consistently greater than the sum of their parts.

The flip side of 1+2 is that they often don’t have another level to elevate to in the post season. They tend to overachieve in the regular season relative to their talent.

3. Goaltending
Thomas to Rask to Ullmark to Swayman is insane. The structure of the D certainly helps. And so does Bob Essensa, who should have more recognition across the league as a difference making coach.

4. Pulling stars out of their ass later in the draft
This feels like luck. The Bruins run from 2006-2013 mirror those of most top tier contenders. Have a few really good drafts, build up talent, make some runs, and have guys start to age out. Not sure if things would have gone differently against Chicago if Bergeron and Chara didn’t get hurt, but Chara was never a real Norris guy again after he f***ed his knee. Looked like the end there. And then the Seguin trade blew up in their face.

But then they got lucky getting elite talents like McAvoy and Pasta in the mid to late 1st and were able to make another go at it with the Bergeron/Krejci/Chara backbone with an upset loss to STL. Over the years made some picks and deals and were able to transition almost seamlessly from an elite D lead by Chara, Boychuk, Seidenberg to an elite D led by McAvoy, Lindholm and Carlo.

They have just done a brilliant job on keep the defense and goaltending elite. And Lorhei looks like he could be the next step in keeping the D going when Lindholm slows down.

Up front? Well, it looks like they had a nice reclamation project go their way in Zacha. And Poitras looks like a surprise top 6 C with an unknown ceiling, but they are going to have to find another high end talent up front somehow to turn over to this post Bergeron/Krejci forward core.

They will have a lot of money next summer. We will see.

Last edited:

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Chara Bergeron and Marchand built a team first culture where standards on effort were high, Everyone was treated equally, no one was bigger than the team. This led them to all take much less $$ to build a winning team and a winning culture. The interesting thing will be whether they can keep it going…

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

Ducer

Jan 20, 2021
I'm going to be showing my age here but the aura for me hasn't changed from the 70's era bruin's even up to now, it's a tough brand of hockey.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Okay. I guess it’s just a difference of opinion.

I simply don’t agree with it that “they have a great thing going”.

I understand that they have a decently good team to always be in contention. That’s a positive.

But isn’t the point to actually win?

Yeah they won in 2011, but other teams have been much more successful.

At this point it’s just a matter of opinion on what people deem as being successful. To some it’s being good enough to make the playoffs and be in contention. To others, it’s winning Stanley cups.

It boils down to what your definition of “successful” and “good” is.
four teams. four teams have been more successful since 2010. out of 30-32

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad