Why is Boston such a good organization?

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Being good is having a team that competes for the final prize year in year out. The Bruins have not missed the playoffs - the moment where teams REALLY compete for the final prize - for more than two seasons in a row in 55 years. Probably the whole of HFBoards fans would be proud of their team being that good.

Bet you they would be a hell of a lot more proud of their team if they weren’t the bridesmaid in almost all of those years.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
1 cup in 50+ years….

Will be attacked for the comment but it is what it is. An organization doesn’t deserve a dedicated thread for being so “good” with that lack of hardware.

Since 2006.

1 Norris
3 Jennings
4 Vezinas
6 Selkes
3 Prince of Wales Trophies
1 Cup

Hate the Bruins as much as the next guy, but their hardware shelf isnt empty at all. It wasn't just a good core, it was a core that aged like fine wine. Which is frankly unfair.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Since 2006.

1 Norris
3 Jennings
4 Vezinas
6 Selkes
3 Prince of Wales Trophies
1 Cup

Hate the Bruins as much as the next guy, but their hardware shelf isnt empty at all. It wasn't just a good core, it was a core that aged like fine wine. Which is frankly unfair.

Never said it was empty. But to start a thread like this you would expect that they exceeded teams to the extent that it deserved a singular thread to call it out how “good” they have been.

And comparative to others, they really haven’t when it comes to winning.

Last edited:

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
No high draft picks in forever. Retirements to key players. High tax state. Just seems like they always have later picks stepping up and every signing/trade they make seems to work out.

What has Boston figured out that everyone else hasn’t?

You forgot Top-three in the United States for:

Education
And
Health care

Makes a huge difference if you have a family.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I am a Leafs fan and I wish they were as good as the Bruins. I'd take all those deep runs, and one cup in a heartbeat.

Yeah I am not going to touch this comment with a ten foot pole.

Like no shit a Leafs fan would want their success. Thats easy to say when they have been arguably a top 3 least successful team in the NHL since the 60’s.

Reactions: HabsQC

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yeah I am not going to touch this comment with a ten foot pole.

Like no shit a Leafs fan would want their success. Thats easy to say when they have been arguably a top 3 least successful team in the NHL since the 60’s.

All I am saying is that Boston has a great thing going, and many fanbases in the NHL would love to be them.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
All I am saying is that Boston has a great thing going, and many fanbases in the NHL would love to be them.

Okay. I guess it’s just a difference of opinion.

I simply don’t agree with it that “they have a great thing going”.

I understand that they have a decently good team to always be in contention. That’s a positive.

But isn’t the point to actually win?

Yeah they won in 2011, but other teams have been much more successful.

At this point it’s just a matter of opinion on what people deem as being successful. To some it’s being good enough to make the playoffs and be in contention. To others, it’s winning Stanley cups.

It boils down to what your definition of “successful” and “good” is.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Okay. I guess it’s just a difference of opinion.

I simply don’t agree with it that “they have a great thing going”.

I understand that they have a decently good team to always be in contention. That’s a positive.

But isn’t the point to actually win?

Yeah they won in 2011, but other teams have been much more successful.

At this point it’s just a matter of opinion on what people deem as being successful. To some it’s being good enough to make the playoffs and be in contention. To others, it’s winning Stanley cups.

It boils down to what your definition of “successful” and “good” is.
You good? I know Pittsburgh got some generational centers and won more Cups. I wasn’t dissing them…

RJMA

Feb 15, 2023
They're the Miami Heat of the NHL. It's all about culture buy in when you come aboard. Like the Heat, they are never mistaken for the most talented squad, but they are always tough, always prioritize defense, never miss the playoffs and get the absolute most out of their talent. It also doesn't hurt that Montgomery is quite the hockey mind. Such a joke that Dallas didn't stick by him.

Reactions: torontoblood

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Lots of 1st and 2nd round exits for them the last decade or so. Impressive regular season team but they don’t have what it takes to win in the playoffs. Still can’t believe they lost to the Blues. What a let down.

Gotta give credit where it’s due however, they’re looking great two years in a row after fans wrote them off. I firmly believe in the “winning culture” argument. They’ve got that going for them in spades for sure. With a franchise talent I think they’d get over the hump.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Everyone is talking about culture, but also remember their front office is at least a little responsible for this because they made a few big bets and the biggest ones I can remember paid off. As a neutral fan, 3 in particular stand out to me (probably there are more).

1) Trading an elite Joe Thornton during his Hart year for not very much. At the time I couldn't believe how little they got in return, mgmt had Bergeron in the wings and didn't think the team would win with Jumbo as their captain / dressing room leader, in hindsight they were 100% right.

2) Trading 2nd year goaltender (fmr rookie of the year) Andrew Raycroft to Toronto for the rights to Tuukka who was at the time a 1st round pick that was off playing in Finland and hadn't seen an NHL game. Sorry Leafs fans

3) Speaking of Finland, they brought over Tim Thomas and gave him the chance to play / eventually start as a 32 year old, he was a guy who was drafted in the 9th round (217th overall) about ten years before his first NHL cup of coffee. Interestingly enough, the draft now only has 7 rounds, and just as interestingly, Thomas Vokoun, Evgeny Nobokov, and Steve Sullivan were both drafted after Tim Thomas in that same 9th round. Probably the best 9th round in NHL draft history though I haven't poked around on this.

But yeah, culture is a big part of the reason, but that front office had some balls and made a few calls that few. if any, would've made at the time. As for the 3 points listed above, you can make the argument the Raycroft trade wasn't unexpected (he really struggled in his second year), but re: the other two points it's hard to imagine many teams trading a superstar during his Hart year or giving a 32 year old his first ever starting gig and then watching him win 2 Vezinas, one at age 34 and another at 36. Has anything like this ever happened before? I honestly can't think of a similar situation. There are probably some other front office wins too, maybe a Bruins fan can add something to this.

Of course the front office isn't perfect (Mitch Miller, 2015 draft, etc), but imo they hit enough to still be a key reason for B's continuing to be good / have success, whatever you want to call it

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
IMG_0434.jpeg

this guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad