Speculation: Why Has Trouba Not Signed Yet?

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Just curious why Trouba has not been signed yet by Winnipeg? Does he want to be traded, or are the Jets on an internal budget and can't afford him?

Hes holding out. Wants good money. Jets dont wanna give it to him . Etc......Doughty went through this too.

Not that Trouba = Doughty.

Jets also have concerns about protecting all 4 defensemen or unloading 1 so they can protect 7 forwards. Add that into the mix and there is a tangle that needs to be sorted out.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
If he gets a full million more than Rielly over the same term then someone give Trouba's agent a medal.

I think Chevy is an extremely good GM and loved all his moves so far but if he signed Trouba to that, it would probably be the first time I have ever asked myself "wow what the hell is Chevy doing"

zsam

Mar 26, 2016
Winnipeg
Trouba hasnt signed yet because he thinks he's a lot better than he is. Because he listened to the incredible hype he got on here when he first came into the league and for him it hasnt gone down even though his play obviously has.

Id give him 4.2 mil and call it a day. Its what he's worth anyway.

Out of your 12000 posts you probably spent half posting how Trouba is overvalued. I bet all those people who talk about how he is overvalued haven't watched more than 3 highlights from Jets games.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
all this contract stuff makes me realize how damn lucky Stars are for getting Klingberg signed long term for so damn cheap

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I think Chevy is an extremely good GM and loved all his moves so far but if he signed Trouba to that, it would probably be the first time I have ever asked myself "wow what the hell is Chevy doing"

Why can't we just look at the Rielly signing and say that Toronto got a massive deal for a solid defenseman? It makes it easier to get a steal off of Trouba as well.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Why can't we just look at the Rielly signing and say that Toronto got a massive deal for a solid defenseman? It makes it easier to get a steal off of Trouba as well.

Haha Trouba isn't worth 6 mill per year. Good player yes but not worthy of that amount

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Haha Trouba isn't worth 6 mill per year. Good player yes but not worthy of that amount

Play him with Buff on the left side instead of Stuart and I think he's worth it over the term. His defense is very solid and he is still putting up alright numbers despite being anchored to Stu with Buff and Myers getting the PP minutes. He'd only be considered overpaid short term given the usage he's seen in the past. Stu's got 2 years left, I'd prefer he sees them from the press box or the Moose. Add to that they picked up Strait for some ungodly reason and I'm not quite sure what management has in store for him.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Play him with Buff on the left side instead of Stuart and I think he's worth it over the term. His defense is very solid and he is still putting up alright numbers despite being anchored to Stu with Buff and Myers getting the PP minutes. He'd only be considered overpaid short term given the usage he's seen in the past. Stu's got 2 years left, I'd prefer he sees them from the press box or the Moose. Add to that they picked up Strait for some ungodly reason and I'm not quite sure what management has in store for him.

Well I hope he isn't demanding 6 mill per year cause then Jets won't be signing him. Chevy is a good gm and contract negotiating are all about comparables and I would love to hear the agents reasoning why he should be getting alot more money than some of the top young recently signed dmen around the league that are better than him. This is gonna end up extremely ugly if he's asking in the 6's

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Is he behind Myers on the RD depth chart?

yes and no.

In terms of 5v5 TOI he's on par (he's the one to switch to the left side for Trouba-Byfuglien, Enstrom-Myers once the bench is shortened in the third period):

2015-16 5v5 time on ice per game:

RHD Byfuglien 18.05
RHD Trouba 16.78
RHD Myers 16.69
LHD Enstrom 16.66
LHD Chiarot 13.15
LHD Stuart 12.90

In terms of getting competent partners? He's well below Myers on the depth chart. Myers needs to play with a good partner (aka Enstrom) to be effective. Trouba can and will play with any "depth" (aka AHL) player and still be effective.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Trouba's on the roster for the World Cup of Hockey this Fall. I think he signs before that. I doubt he'll want to go into that tournament without a contract.

He'd probably want the contract done for insurance. Not sure how Overhardt could extort the national team with the traditional camp hold out.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Better question is why Jones was signed before July 1st.

One team left themselves vulnerable to offer sheets, the other didn't.

3 x $4.5

makes what contemporaries make, will still be decent money at the end of it, and makes him very appealing for a cash-in contract at 25 years old. There won't be any of that "Well the last three years he'll be way overpaid" crap.

Awful contract. An arbitration award away from UFA. It would be a disaster.

No.

Well I hope he isn't demanding 6 mill per year cause then Jets won't be signing him. Chevy is a good gm and contract negotiating are all about comparables and I would love to hear the agents reasoning why he should be getting alot more money than some of the top young recently signed dmen around the league that are better than him. This is gonna end up extremely ugly if he's asking in the 6's

I'd be happy for him to get $6m x 8y.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

Trouba's better than Myers already, most like he plays LD with Buff next year.

Part of the problem is that Stuart is a train-wreck with any other RD except maybe Buff, but they want him in the lineup for his "intangibles". Once they do that, Trouba invariably ends up paired with him, because when anyone else is that pairing gets crushed.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
It's like the Pavs, Stuart, and Strait signings all made sense :sarcasm:

So, you want a GM who bats 1000? In the scheme of things he has performed pretty well. Thankfully, he doesn't get his advice from a forum of fans. Most of his detractors are the experts from the Jets forum. Many outsiders tend see him as doing a good job.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
There's a radio interview with Lawless that suggests Trouba is holding out for a greater role and to be on the ice with top 6 forwards. It's an interesting listen but I don't buy into that angle. The part where he mentions having a deal done by the World Cup makes sense though.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'm wondering if his agent is pushing for lockout/buyout protection via signing bonuses.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Interesting possibility for sure. Maybe a nice bonus for the year the CBA expires to be paid in the summer of 2022.

Yup there's been lots of those lately, look at the Benn and O'Reilly contracts. If there is a lockout Benn can only lose maximum $1 million.

Giving out contracts like that to RFAs is rare but it does happen. Winnipeg does not give out much signing bonuses at all. Buff and Enstrom are the only two to get them and they're not big at all.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
That contract was bases on one year's worth of production. Have to wonder if he keeps it up.

well following that season up with a 58 point season in 76 games and finishing 6th in Norris voting this past season is a good start!!!

so far its looking unbelievable already!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad